Finally!!!!

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I went out to check the garden this morning and look what I found!!!! Won't be long now :w00t:!

Attachments

• garden04282011.jpg
    garden04282011.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 338
  • garden04282011-1.jpg
    garden04282011-1.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 318

abi_csi

Beautiful. Home grown tomatoes are the best, i never buy them from the supermarket any more, they're just cold and tasteless. I hope to grow my own next year. A friend of mine has all sorts going on in his garden and he's become obsessed with slug hunting at night. He has to protect his crop now it's like his baby.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks y'all! I checked this morning and didn't find any more new tomatoes but I've got LOTS of blossoms. Two of my pepper plants have blossoms too!

I LOVE tomatoes. I actually picked some up at Publix yesterday that were from Florida that were true vine ripe and garden grown. They tasted wonderful. I can't wait until I have some.

Mr. Green Jeans

Very envious Mama! I am still nursing along cold season crops. We are a month away from even planting a tomato. Frost is a possibility tomorrow morning.

vyapti

My tomatoes are a foot tall now. I still can't plant them. We're still having nights in the thirties.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I've been having a rough time for years trying to have a decent garden in this red clay dirt so I decided to try putting in a raised garden this year. I bought 3 kits from Sam's and they have been doing outstanding so we got 3 more this past weekend. I've been spending all day setting them up and putting mulch in the walkways. Now all I need is more miracle grow garden soil and some more plants. DH just called a little while ago and said he has to work tomorrow so hopefully we'll be able to get it Sunday. I'd get it myself but 27 bags is a bit much for me to do by myself. Here's what it looks like so far. The tomatoes are growing beautifully....still don't have any red ones yet but I've got tons of green ones.

Attachments

• garden05132011-1.jpg
    garden05132011-1.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 255
  • garden05132011-2.jpg
    garden05132011-2.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 248

mhend

Your garden looks beautiful Mama!

I only planted two tomato plants this year. I wasn't sure if I could keep all the critters out of them. So far so good and I have some green ones too. Last year, the squirrels, birds, and rabbits ate them as soon as they started popping out.

cookingirl

Such a great job!!! :applause::tiphat:
I am soooo green:mrgreen: with jealousy!!!!!!!!!!:neutral:
Here is the NE, Boston area, we can't even think of planting until Memorial Day!! and this year, I think it will be later cuz the weather has been sooooo cold!:sad:
I live in an apartment--past couple of years I potted a tomato plant...first year it was a reg plant--didn't do so good.. Last year, I did 2, which were labeled patio tomatoes--kind of small, tough skin, but sooo good...;)
I think this year I will try a couple of early girl variety...:wave:
Last year I also grew cucumbers on my balcony.. my trellis, for the vines, was the railing.. No one knew what kind of vegetation I was grwing. :laugh:
It looked like a jungle!!:laugh:
The pickiling cukes were awesome!! and I even passed them around!!:applause:
I think I will try that again, :mrgreen::laugh:
But I have to wait till Memorial Day---ritual
We will hope the weather warms up and gets sunny instead of these clouds and rain....
Cyn

GotGarlic

Yay, Mama! We have some blossoms on a couple tomatoes and cucumbers. The garden is looking very promising right now :smile:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Such a great job!!! :applause::tiphat:
I am soooo green:mrgreen: with jealousy!!!!!!!!!!:neutral:
Here is the NE, Boston area, we can't even think of planting until Memorial Day!! and this year, I think it will be later cuz the weather has been sooooo cold!:sad:
I live in an apartment--past couple of years I potted a tomato plant...first year it was a reg plant--didn't do so good.. Last year, I did 2, which were labeled patio tomatoes--kind of small, tough skin, but sooo good...;)
I think this year I will try a couple of early girl variety...:wave:
Last year I also grew cucumbers on my balcony.. my trellis, for the vines, was the railing.. No one knew what kind of vegetation I was grwing. :laugh:
It looked like a jungle!!:laugh:
The pickiling cukes were awesome!! and I even passed them around!!:applause:
I think I will try that again, :mrgreen::laugh:
But I have to wait till Memorial Day---ritual
We will hope the weather warms up and gets sunny instead of these clouds and rain....
Cyn

Hey, Cyn, please post pictures of your balcony garden as it progresses!

If you have room, plant a container or two of flowers - attracts bees for pollination and is soothing for the soul!

I've been container-gardening for 22 years. LOVE it!

Lee

Guts

that's a beautiful garden mama with the way prices are going up, we all might start gardening. I hope you will post some more pictures as your garden grows.

cookingirl

Lee,
I do plant flowers also. last year, at one point I had 12 plants, assorted veggies, herbs, and flowers on my balcony! I used refilled gallon water bottles to water them--took at least 12 per night!
had wild flowers, oregano, cukes--3 types, omatoes, basil, azalea, and a variety of others...T"was a lot of work, after my work to water them..but I did enjoy them..so pretty.....
I used to have a garden, think I inherited my mom's green thumb!
at one point have 12 tomato plant, pickling, reg, plum, cherry tomatoes, cukes--pickling, reg and english, basil, oregano, sweet peppers, marigolds for veggies...
flowers--hydrangeas, inpatients, black eyed susans, daisies, clematis, bleeding hearts, salvias, purple cone flowers,,,,but then me and my dad moved to an apt building..container gardening, I am not so sure of..
nothing panted yet, just in my house-----bamboo, a beautiful orchid, from trader joes's--12 blossoms~~~~.orchid colored--gotnit with 6 blossom---soo pretty..:wink:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks GG and Guts. I'll keep you posted on the garden.

I had a pretty busy day today. DH has to work tomorrow and I've got to go get a bunch of stuff from Sam's and Petsmart but if I have time, I may go ahead and at least get some of the dirt...I'd like to get the rest of it planted ASAP.

Sounds like you have quite the green thumb cookingirl.

I'd love to see pics of everyone's gardens :clap:

buckytom

Grill Master
wtg, mama! if you can't bust the clay or rock, raise the beds.

i also have clay soil but i've been able to build up a foot and a half of topsoil.
and i keep adding. and adding.

most veggies don't really have roots deeper than 16 to 20 inches. they'll go deeper if they can, but will happily go wider if that's where the nutrients are.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks BT! My mama had quite a green thumb...she could grow anything anywhere...sadly, I didn't inherit it. I got pretty disgusted the past few years and as a result haven't had much of a garden. Having to pay a $1 a piece for both green peppers and tomatoes really pissed me off so I decided to try a raised bed garden this year as a last resort. I may have to invest a lot this first year to get it started but it looks as though I may get most...if not all...of my money back. If not, at least I won't have to spend much next season and I'll be getting a lot better quality produce than what I've been getting in the stores.

Leni

As I said Mama, the way to go is raised beds. Reason? You can create your own soil and not have to fight what nature has given you. You can also make it as deep as you want. Most veggie roots do not go deeper than 12". I''m sure you will have a very productive season. Enjoy, especially the tomatoes. One cherry that I totally recommend is Black Cherry. Like eating candy that is healthy.

Nancy-MD

Beautiful veggie garden, Mama! I have a veggie garden too. I'll have to get some pics of it. It's coming along nicely. I have radishes, brussel sprouts, broccoli, tomatoes, one grape tomato plant and cucumbers. I grow herbs in a big pot near my kitchen door - chives, thyme, oregano and flatleaf parsley.

My flowers are doing well too. Some early spring perennials are already done.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thank you everyone!

That's great Nancy and Peepers!

Leni, I couldn't find any black cherry tomatoes so I got 2 husky cherry red and 2 patio tomato plants

Here's the finished garden:

I had 6 sections left to plant in my garden so, here's what I planted in each section:
1. Okra and 2 cherry tomato plants
2. Sweet potatoes and 2 cherry tomato plants
3. Collard Greens
4. Squash, eggplant, zucchini and cucumbers (2 of each)
5. Cantaloupe and watermelon
6. Strawberries

Attachments

• garden05222011-1.jpg
    garden05222011-1.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 154
  • garden05222011-2.jpg
    garden05222011-2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 155
  • garden05222011-3.jpg
    garden05222011-3.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 160
  • garden05222011-4.jpg
    garden05222011-4.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 155

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I think I'm gonna have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year!

Attachments

• tomatoes-05232011-3.jpg
    tomatoes-05232011-3.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 161
  • tomatoes-05232011-1.jpg
    tomatoes-05232011-1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 154
  • tomatoes-05232011-2.jpg
    tomatoes-05232011-2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Here are the peppers, the first 2 pics are cowhorn, then banana and finally an itty bitty green pepper :w00t:

Attachments

• cowhornpeppers-1.jpg
    cowhornpeppers-1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 154
  • cowhornpeppers-2.jpg
    cowhornpeppers-2.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 152
  • bananapeppers-1.jpg
    bananapeppers-1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 158
  • greenpeppers-1.jpg
    greenpeppers-1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 155

Wart

Banned
Here are the peppers, the first 2 pics are cowhorn, then banana and finally an itty bitty green pepper :w00t:

That's enough. HEAR ME???

Between the latitude, the cold, the wet, and the wet, and school, did I mention the wet? I couldn't get the garden planted before yesterday.

I had the ground ready to go about two weeks ago, then it got wet. Then it stayed wet.

Then it got sopping wet.

I had to re-turn the garden with a shovel to try and get it dried out enough to plant.

Its mixed emotions, glad to see you're progress, irked as all get out at my being at least two weeks behind.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Sorry Wart :lol:. I'm just pretty darn excited. I've never had much a of a green thumb and for years I tried...unsuccessfully I might add...to try to have a decent garden in this red clay dirt down here. Never had anything to brag about. I wish I had started a raised bed garden years ago.