Garden : What have you picked?

homecook

This morning I picked 3 zucchini, 4 cucumbers, 4 tomatoes, couple handfuls of beans and peas, 3 green peppers, 5 jalapenos and 3 banana peppers. I'll be putting them all to good use, plus what Heather brought me the other day. lol

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Todays hall - several pounds of Coxes apples, 5 courgettes (zuchini), 1 cucumber, 4 cauliflowers, plenty of French beans and some lovely carrots. The cob nuts are nearly ready & the pears not far behins.

In our fgarden, I've got damsons to harvest.

Attachments

• PICT0771.JPG
    PICT0771.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 145

GotGarlic

Todays hall - several pounds of Coxes apples, 5 courgettes (zuchini), 1 cucumber, 4 cauliflowers, plenty of French beans and some lovely carrots. The cob nuts are nearly ready & the pears not far behins.

In our fgarden, I've got damsons to harvest.

Looks yummy, Miniman! What are cob nuts?

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Our tomatoes did not do so good this year, only got a couple cherries and one large one so far.
Hungarian Wax Peppers are doing great and we have harvested several in the last week, plus Kale, collared greens, eggplant and some squash.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Nice haul, Mini! And yeah, what ARE cob nuts?

I just made 4 jars of pesto and will be shopping for more pine nuts and cheese to make even more. The unfiltered olive oil I bought is LOVELY for pesto!

Lee

1242481.jpg

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Nice haul, Mini! And yeah, what ARE cob nuts?

I just made 4 jars of pesto and will be shopping for more pine nuts and cheese to make even more. The unfiltered olive oil I bought is LOVELY for pesto!

Lee

1242481.jpg

Do you know what zone you are in? Cause I would love to grow some pine nuts and make our own pesto.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
The allotment is also full of weeds but I'm kinds shutting my eyes to it at the moment.

High Cheese

Saucier
My beefsteak tomatoes have been doing well considering the crappy weather we've had. My Sweet 100's are "ok", from top to bottom they are over ripe to totally green. If I don't pick them individually they split.

My zucchinis have been steady. Thanks for the tip on the epsom salts Lee! I don't have anymore BER and as of yesterday I have 4-5 new blossoms and the plant generally looks very healthy. I did have one mutant zucchini that was hiding under some foliage....thing is HUGE. Gonna post a pic tonight.

Cowhorn peppers have been doing pretty good. Bell peppers not so much although I just harvested one last night. That's pretty much it, basil and parsley are great. I like the pesto idea.

buckytom

Grill Master
here's my haul from monday, reposted.

anyone want some tomatoes??? i think we have enough.

img3645i.jpg

last weekend, i trapped the ground hog that had been invading my garden. apparently, fresh fruits and veggies that i put in the trap didn't seem appealing to the little fecker unless they were still on my plants. so, i put some peanut butter on a halved apple (yum) and that worked. well, after i trapped myself a few times... i ove peanut butter on apples.

so, we took him to the other side of town, about a mile away, on the top of a big hill in a wooded park. as soon as we let him go, he dashed into the brush. but as we started to leave we saw him climb a big fence that surrounds a water tower, and actually appear to be looking in the right direction to find his way home. like he was getting his bearings.

yesterday, my neighbor came over with some pictures on a cd that he'd taken the night before, entitled, "the tomato burgular". :sad:

the ground hog found his way back. across the center of town, past the city hall and high school, all the way back to my house.

i found out today that you have too bring a ground hog at least 5 miles away before their little gps's stop working... (groundhog positioning system).

vyapti

We had to move this July, so I had to transplant my entire garden. The tomatoes and herbs (potted) all made it just fine. I have two huge zucchini plants and a cucumber plant that were stunted. I'll probably only get 1 cucumber and 3 zucchini. Everything else died.

vyapti

I moved about 4 blocks away, still in Eugene. My landlord's wife decided that his in-laws could have the house we lived in. So my family and my plants had an unexpected evacuation. It's all good, though. Our new house gets lots more sun, which, in Western Oregon, is a valued commodity.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
the ground hog found his way back. across the center of town, past the city hall and high school, all the way back to my house.

Are you kidding me????? Basturd!

Man, I had one for the last 3 years, but he must have died this year, along with the raccoons we've had for the last 15 years.

That's the good news. The bad news is that most of my tomatoes are still green. Early Girls. In September.

Nice haul, though, BT, and lovely photo!

BluesMan, your early garden photo is wonderful!

Lee

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Whoa, HC! Whaddaya gonna do with him?

I'd cut it in half, scoop some out, and stuff with chili and cheese.

Lee

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Picked 24 pounds of damsons today - sorted out the best for sale.

Also processed half a giant courgette into 5 jars of courgette chutney

buckytom

Grill Master
slice lengthwise in 1/2" slices, oil, s&p, and grill it, cheeks.

i just picked one like that, and it wasn't that seedy inside. you know they;re gone too long when the seeds form and harden up.

homecook

Ha ha! I don't know what to do with it! Can I eat it? I thought it may be bitter or something by now.

When they're big like that I slice them, bread and fry. Somehow it works when they're bigger...they don't get as mushy as the smaller ones.

that just sounds so wrong....

buckytom

Grill Master
Picked 24 pounds of damsons today - sorted out the best for sale.

Also processed half a giant courgette into 5 jars of courgette chutney

damn, son. that's a lot of damsons.

how many trees do you have?

the best white lightning i've ever had was one that had about a dozen damson plums soaking in it. have you ever tried that, mini. soaking the plums in grappa or corn liquor? good stuff.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I tree - it is big and laden. This was just the damsons I could reach from the ground. Using ladders over the weekend to pick more.

I'm not a big one for alcohol, so probably won;t try that.

Mr. Green Jeans

My first time doing container grown spuds. These are an heirloom variety Austrian Crescent. Jake is attempting to snitch one.

Attachments

• IMG_2972.jpg
    IMG_2972.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 163

buckytom

Grill Master
very nice, jeans.

i tried growing spuds a few years ago by planting the eyes from a few past-their-prime potatoes. all i got were a bunch of very tiny potatoes that probably didn't add up to the first few spuds.