Baked Beans in your smoker!

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
4-5 pounds of canned baked beans (cooked, your brand)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup bell pepper
2 tablespoon prepared mustard (your fav)
1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
3 - 4 drops of Franks Hot Sauce (or to your taste, I like more)
1/2 cup Bar-B-Cue sauce, your fav brand
1/2 cup ketchup
2 (or more) strips thick sliced hickory smoked bacon, un-cooked, cut in half.

Combine all ingredients into "oven" safe container, normally a deep aluminum pan.

Lay the bacon on top of the beans (this is why you may need more, depends on your pan)

Place that pan in a SMOKER. Since it's going to be in a smoker, a wider pan is better.

Smoke for about 2 to three hours, using plenty of smoker wood.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've do it very similar with a few different ingredients. I do basically the same thing in my oven when I don't smoke them. The main difference that I do is instead of Molasses which is hard to get sometimes is use a can of peach pie filling for the sweetener. Every time I make them be it on the stove, in the oven or in my smoker, they are gone long before the grand kids leave. A few of which claim they don't like baked beans but boy do the shovel them down.

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
I bet they DO! I would inhale that!! Interesting idea for substituting the molasses. How did you get the idea?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I saw a guest on one of the cook shows a few years ago that had won some kind of BBQ cook off. He said he used peach pie filling (which really has peaches in it) in place of the molasses so I gave it a try. I was very pleasantly surprise to see how well they went over.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here you go I found the orginial recipe for in the oven. I do it a bit different when I use the smoker in that I add bacon to the top as you do.

JACK'S Peach BBQ Beans
8 Strips of Bacon, cut into 1" pieces
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 #10 can backed beans (recommend Bush's)
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (Your favorite brand KC Masterpiece Spicy is my favorite)
3 cups canned peach pie filling
2 table spoons Jack's Old South BBQ rub, recipe below

Prehead the oven to 325 degrees F

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until somewhat crispy and its fat has rendered. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plat to drain. Leave the fat in the skillet.
Add the peppers and onions to the skillet and cook, stirring, until softened, about 6 minutes. Tranfer the mixture to a large baking pan.
Add the bacon, beans, pie filling, barbecue sause and rub to pan. Mix to combine and bake uncovered until hot and bubbly, about 1 hour.

Jack's Old South BBQ Rub (also good for other things so save the extra)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sweet paprika ( I use hot or smoked)
1/4 cup kosher salt
3 tablespoons black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dried basil

Combine all and mix well. Yeields about 3/4 cup

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
ummmmmm. sounds very interesting Joe. Who would have thought of using canned peach pie filling? :pat: I'll have to try it for sure. :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I was amazed myself the first time I tasted them. Like I said I have some grandkids that just don't like baked beans but the 5qt pot is often gone before the meat is. I did a search and found where I saw it the first time. He was a guest on Sara's Secrets.

smoke king

Banned
I would'nt even consider firing up the smoker without a pan of beans on the rack-but canned peach pie filling! That sounds good!!!!

I will be trying that next time for sure!!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've don't often make them in the smoker but have done it a few times pretty much the same except I put of strips of bacon on top also but I do precook the onions and peppers with bacon fat first then mix it with the beans. The peach pie filling is flat amazing tasting also.