Neapolitan Gatto

Deadly Sushi

Formerly The Giant Mojito
My aunt serves this every Thanksgiving and its orgasmic!!!! :w00t2:
I searched for the recipe WITH a photo and, well if you decide to make it, I hope you folks enjoy it as much as I do!!!! It isnt very expensive to create either!!! :thumb: PLEASE remember.... amounts dont have to be EXACT and if you cant find or dont have a certain type of meat or cheese, just omit OR experiment!!!! :chef:

r1153.jpg

Gatto' di patate is a classic dish of Neapolitan home cooking. It is usually served as main dish along with one or more vegetable dishes, for a pasta-free meals, but can be easily used as a starter. The term "gatto' " comes from the French gateaux. It is only one example of the many influences of French on Neapolitan dialect.

3 LBS potatos, whole (use baking potatoes only)
1.75 oz butter
2.50 oz grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1.75 oz grated aged caciocavallo or pecorino Romano
4 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1T finely chopped basil
3.5 oz salami or cooked ham (or a combination of the two), finely diced
3.5 oz provola (i.e. smoked mozzarella), missing that any mild smoked cheese will do, diced
5 oz mozzarella, diced
1 c warm milk (if needed)
saltbread crumbs and butter for the cake pan
  • Boil the whole potatoes. Once done drain the water but keep the potatoes warm in their pot. Taking one potato at a time, peel and mash them. A ricer works best, but a hand masher is OK, especially if the potatoes are nicely floury.
  • Pre-heat your oven to 375F - 400 Fahrenheit.
  • Add the following to the mashed potatoes in succession: butter, parmesan and caciocavallo (or pecorino), ham and/or salami, the egg yolks and the chopped basil. Stir well after each addition.
  • Once everything has been added taste if the salt is OK. Usually the cheese will make the "dough" of this cake salty enough, but it's better to check twice.
  • Whip the egg whites and fold into the potato mixture. If the mass feels too resistant to stirring you should add a bit of warm milk. Do this carefully, a few tablespoons at a time.
  • Take a 10" round cake pan, (or square pan) butter it and coat with bread crumbs.
  • spread half the potato mass at the bottom. Lay the mozzarella and provola on top and cover with the rest of the potatoes, spreading them to obtain a nice flat top. Dust the top with bread crumbs and place a few tiny pieces of butter on top.
  • Bake for 30-40 minutes in the pre-heated oven, until the breadcrumbs on the top start to brown.
  • Wait at least 30 minutes before serving for the cake to firm up while cooling, while the cheese remains melted.
I like it even better after a few hours, once it reaches room temperature. No more melted mozzarella but the flavours will have had time to blend better. Thanks to recipegullet.com for the recipe!

Last edited:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, here's one thread I've chosen to bump.

After seeing this long-ago post by Sushi, I looked up other recipes for this "Mashed Potato Cake" that all look pretty similar.

I love the concept, and I'm sure I'd love the dish, but is it really served as an appetizer? I was thinking of making this and having it with a salad for dinner!

Yummmm!

Lee