Pasties

Ian M.

I was raised on these things - they're mighty good and quite filling. This was my Mum's old recipe.

5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup shortening
3/4 cup water
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced potatoes (I use tinned potatoes for this)
1 cup diced turnips (some people like them, some don't - this is purely a matter of personal choice)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 pound ground beef
Dash of pepper

Sift flour and 1/2 tsp. salt into large bowl and cut in shortening until the size of peas. Add enough water to moisten and hold pastry together. Divide dough into six equal portions and shape each into a round ball. Combine remaining ingredients. Roll out each portion of dough into a circle. Place one-sixth of the vegetable-meat filling on half of the circle. Fold other half of dough over mixture, seal edges with water and press with a fork. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and prick holes in top with fork to allow steam to vent. Bake at 300 degrees F for 1 hour. Serve thse hot with brown sauce ( like A-1, HP, or some such) or brown gravy.
I like to eat them right out of hand, like a meat pie. No plate, no fork - best way! :a1:

phreak

Ya must be a yooper eh?

A lot of people substitute rutabaga for the turnip in your recipe.

My mom used to make them with stew meat instead of ground beef, and fairly thickly cubed potatoes, carrots, onions, no rutabaga, no turnip.

Now I'm missing moms cooking!

Ian M.

Hiya - There are about as many varieties of pasties as there are people who like them and make them. Yours sounds tasty, too. Everyone has a particular vegetable included that they personally like.

Ian

Ian M.

I have no idea in the world what percipitated that business about me being a "yooper" but suffice it to say, I've never set foot in Northern Michigan in my life...nor would I! Where did that come from?

Ian

phreak

Pasties are very popular in the UP of Michigan. I did not mean to insult you, as you just did to everyone that lives or loves the UP.

Last edited:

Ian M.

No insult taken...and certainly none meant. Just becaue I've never been to Michigan nor do I currently have any particular desire to visit there. Many folks don't have any desire to visit New England, either, but I don't think anyone gets all bent becaue some wouldn't want to live here. Sorry if you were offended in any way...it certainly wasn't intended. Occasionally, "nicknames" can be a bit galling and can cause problems, don't you think? But I happen to know several people from out in the mid-western areas and they're pretty super folks! Certainly nothing like the term and jokes about "yoopers" indicates! Rather like "redneck" references and they're sort of put-downs, too. That's why I don't especially like them and don't laugh at them. Nobody's ethnicity nor place of origin deserves to be made fun of. We all take pride in who we are and where we're from. "Hometown" matters!

Ian