Drunkest cities

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Interesting. Good find Lee. Philly sure does something right. Their drinks per month was 13.x but their Deaths per 100,000 residents from alcoholic liver disease was the lowest of any city at .6. (Or does that mean they die from gun shots or knife fights before the liver disease gets them???).

Biskit

Go downtown and look around like I did in October. Bars all over the place.

Oh! I know! And you can find a lot of outlying eating places that serve alcohol.

Actually, if they'd have tallied Jamestown, we might be right up with Fargo!

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
If they had not had a population minimum I was afraid my town of 3 would be on it. The percentage ratio's would have been off the chart. :eek: :pat: :beer:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
If they had not had a population minimum I was afraid my town of 3 would be on it. The percentage ratio's would have been off the chart. :eek: :pat: :beer:

Same here. This is rough count, but within only TWO blocks of my apartment in Wausau, WI there are ten places where you can buy alcohol. Fortunately, three of them serve Guinness. Yippee.

QuirkyCookery

I saw a lot of cities that have large breweries listed and several that have large party universities, so those all make since. Some of the others really surprised me, though.

LETHAL GTS

If they included Canada in this survey, then Winnipeg MB would likely rank #1. Seeing all the young hotties that graduate come up here to party because our min drinking age is 18.
:margarita:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm surprised pittsburgh wasn't on there,- i mean, we've so many universities & colleges, & districts. we're sports fanatics. in the area i used to live in, the entire place was full of restaurants w/ liquor licensces & a state store, bars....... delis & pizza shops sold alcohol, it was like anywhere you looked, alcohol. in 1 stretch to the main st.

& then there's the southside, a drinker's dreamland:

http://www.barsmart.com/region_list.cfm?region=5

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Me to Luvs. I had to go through the list twice to see if I had missed Pittsburgh. I'm extra surprised to see Cincinnati made the list but not Pittsburgh. Crazy.

We are talking of a boating trip to Pittsburgh this summer. I look forward to visiting some of the river front establishments. :D

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
and New Osleans at 25!.....but when you think of it, it's mostly tourists that are getting drunk and making fools of themselves, not really the locals. I think once you get used to the idea that you can take your booze with you, it's not such a big deal any longer.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I wonder where they get the data . . .

"the government" publishes similar data - alcohol consumption per capita - so big tourist spots should show up very high on the list - lots of alcohol sold, not so many residents . . .

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i agree doc, i read thru & was kind of somehow seriously....... upset?! geez, to be grumpy that my city hasn't made the list is kinda sad; smacking my forehead he-he. sounds like a good trip, doc! there's so much to see here, especially @ night when entering thru the main tunnels near the rivers. gorgeous, too, in the winter, downtown. so decorative.

VB, i'd kinda expected NOLA to be on there, though for the exact reasons u stated i saw the logic.
& chowderman, exactly. we're not a touristy city, i mean, people oft visit, tho how solid is thier data on a general basis sans visitors from many a place flowing into cities that draw tourists.......

Yeah, but luckily & thankfully so many folks these days have recognized that drinking in moderation is the way to go. Hopefully others will follow along.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Seattle is on there... we must be putting vodka in our coffee. :)

I saw something similar to this a few years ago and Seattle was #1 in not only drinkers, but suicide rates, life span and books read. After I though about it a bit and remember when I was out there it rained about 300 days a year. :wink:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
I saw something similar to this a few years ago and Seattle was #1 in not only drinkers, but suicide rates, life span and books read. After I though about it a bit and remember when I was out there it rained about 300 days a year. :wink:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfSKoocUfqw[/ame]