Sugar-free (or Unsweetened) Iced Tea Mix

Gramps

Over time, I have become terribly spoiled by some of the better sugar-free iced teas that come already prepared (and often refrigerated) in small to large glass and plastic bottles. Some are even relatively inexpensive if you wait and only buy them on sale.

However, my circumstances have changed and lugging home cases or gallons of sugar-free iced tea from the market just doesn't make sense for me anymore. I have turned back to powdered sugar-free iced tea "mix" in an effort to reduce cost, reduce bulk and conserve precious refrigerator space, but I am no longer finding the bargain-sized containers of sugar-free (or unsweetened) iced tea "mix" that we used to buy years ago. All I can find now are relatively small packages at relatively high prices.

I'd like to ask other forum members who also consume large quantities of sugar-free or unsweetened iced tea if they are running into a similar problem at their local markets. I'm sure that the stores make a lot more money on gallon jugs and cases (of Snapple or equal) than they do by selling mix.

If you have found relatively large or bulk containers of sugar-free or unsweetened iced tea mix, please tell me where I can go to find them. Thank you.

Take care,
Tom

Gramps

Thanks for helping out! It's the Lipton brand that I'm most interested in. More specifically, I prefer their Diet Lemon Iced Tea (what I used to drink).

Your link quickly got me to the right place: http://www.liptont.com/our_products/tea_mix/mix_diet_lemon.aspx

You will note that they say they offer 3 sizes: 10, 15 and 20 quart. I have never seen the 15 quart jar anywhere but the 3 ounce (small) jar is the 10 quart size and the 6 ounce (large) jar is the 20 quart size. The 3 ounce jars are available almost everywhere. The 6 ounce jars are nowhere to be found (except online for crazy money).

I am more than happy to switch brands, but I sure would like to find at least a 20 quart size or greater (30 quart ideally) in a diet lemon iced tea mix.

If I have to go to unsweetened and add a diet sweetener and lemon myself, so be it. Anything to avoid those costly small jars.

Take care,
Tom

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Why not brew your own tea and sweeten it with a diet sweetner? It's a lot cheaper that way, and very easy to do.

Gramps

Why not brew your own tea and sweeten it with a diet sweetner? It's a lot cheaper that way, and very easy to do.
Partly laziness, partly that same issue about refrigerator space now being at a premium.

I suppose it's worth a try. Any hints for getting the very best results?

Take care,
Tom

Phiddlechik

Bring water to a boil. Put a teabag in a cup. Pour boiling water over the teabag, let sit. Then pour the cup of tea into a tall glass of ice. Add lemon and sugar (substitute) to taste, stir.
No storage problems. Fresh.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
I make iced tea and lemonade by the glass. I use Truvia and it tastes EXACTLY like it was made with real sugar.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Partly laziness, partly that same issue about refrigerator space now being at a premium.

I suppose it's worth a try. Any hints for getting the very best results?

Take care,
Tom
Luzianne tea bags.
Just throw a bunch of them in a big jar or something, add hot tap water (warm/cold even works if you allow the bags to sit in the water long enough)
Remove bags, add whatever sweetener you like.
I used to use an old pickle jar for brewing tea, and black tea makes the best iced tea IMO.
Add your sweetener to the glass/jar/whatever before you add the ice, for some reason it always falls to the bottom once it's chilled and never seems to taste like it should.
If the sun is shining, do the same. Cold water+ tea bags.. sit in sun... allow it to brew enough to your preferred strength by looking at it.

Gramps

Bring water to a boil. Put a teabag in a cup. Pour boiling water over the teabag, let sit. Then pour the cup of tea into a tall glass of ice. Add lemon and sugar (substitute) to taste, stir.
No storage problems. Fresh.
I make iced tea and lemonade by the glass. I use Truvia and it tastes EXACTLY like it was made with real sugar.
Luzianne tea bags.
Just throw a bunch of them in a big jar or something, add hot tap water (warm/cold even works if you allow the bags to sit in the water long enough)
Remove bags, add whatever sweetener you like.
I used to use an old pickle jar for brewing tea, and black tea makes the best iced tea IMO.
Add your sweetener to the glass/jar/whatever before you add the ice, for some reason it always falls to the bottom once it's chilled and never seems to taste like it should.
If the sun is shining, do the same. Cold water+ tea bags.. sit in sun... allow it to brew enough to your preferred strength by looking at it.
Thanks folks.

Can't use hot tap water here. Yeech! Sounds like I must boil filtered tap water first, brew the tea, add the lemon and sweetener and then refrigerate it. Or do the sun brewing thing. The latter sounds much more practical for the quantities we consume (about a gallon per day for the two of us with me drinking the most). Making it by the glass (as described) would never work for us. We wouldn't have enough time (or ice) for anything else.

How long does the sun brewing process take? I have seen the large glass containers in the stores. Does it spoil or lose flavor in time if left out and unrefrigerated?

Update on the diet mix issue: I tried yet another large supermarket last night and they didn't have the 20 quart size either. They just had the 10 quart size same as everyone else.

Take care,
Tom

Phiddlechik

yes, it does spoil if left unrefrigerated
Maybe you ought to just go with the 10 qt size of what you want, since nothing else really meets your needs.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I always brew tea by the gallon. I put 8 bags in 2 quarts of boiling water. Let it boil for 5 minutes, then cover and remove from heat to sit for 5-10 minutes. Add sugar to a gallon pitcher. Remove tea bags, and pour hot tea into pitcher. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add 2 quarts cold water, stir and refrigerate. Makes a perfect gallon of tea every time.

Have you tried Sam's Club or Costco? They will have the bulk sizes of the tea mix. They even have sizes larger than what you're looking for! :wink:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=157500&navAction=

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=177473&navAction=

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=167310&navAction=

Gramps

yes, it does spoil if left unrefrigerated
Maybe you ought to just go with the 10 qt size of what you want, since nothing else really meets your needs.
Thanks for the tip regarding spoiling if unrefrigerated. The 10 quart size mix would last us just 3 days or less. Given that we do our big grocery shopping about every 10 days, that's around 4 jars per trip. It just seems silly and I'm sure we'd be paying more on a unit basis than if we could find the big jar. Then again, maybe not?
I always brew tea by the gallon. I put 8 bags in 2 quarts of boiling water. Let it boil for 5 minutes, then cover and remove from heat to sit for 5-10 minutes. Add sugar to a gallon pitcher. Remove tea bags, and pour hot tea into pitcher. Stir to dissolve sugar. Add 2 quarts cold water, stir and refrigerate. Makes a perfect gallon of tea every time.

Have you tried Sam's Club or Costco? They will have the bulk sizes of the tea mix. They even have sizes larger than what you're looking for! :wink:
Thanks for the tip... especially the part about boiling and brewing in half the water. That saves time & money and makes a lot more sense. Now why didn't I think of that?

Those extra big sizes you found at Sam's Club are all sugar-based (not diet). I can't do sugar drinks. Still, it is good to know that Sam's Club has the Diet Lemon in the 6 ounce size we want. There are none located near where we live, but if we do find ourselves travelling near one we could stop and really stock up!

We have checked BJ's and they don't carry any diet iced teas. Costco? We haven't checked there yet.

Take care,
Tom

Last edited:

chocolate moose

Super Site Supporter
I make a pitcher if I'm in the mood over the weekend, something fancy with fresh squeezed juices, etc., but I mostly just take a large water bottle (a washable one), put a couple of teabags in it, water from the water cooler, and let it sit overnight in the fridge. You don't need sweetener, although I might add a packet of sugar once in a great while.

I usually use a green tea bag and a fruity one. Works for me !!!

Gramps

I make a pitcher if I'm in the mood over the weekend, something fancy with fresh squeezed juices, etc., but I mostly just take a large water bottle (a washable one), put a couple of teabags in it, water from the water cooler, and let it sit overnight in the fridge. You don't need sweetener, although I might add a packet of sugar once in a great while.

I usually use a green tea bag and a fruity one. Works for me !!!
I hate to admit it but I haven't tried green diet iced tea even once.

I think I'll make the effort to give it a shot sometime this weekend! :)

Take care,
Tom

Gramps

gramps, have you ever tried the tea bags from lipton that are specifically made for making iced tea without boiling the water?

lipton cold brew iced tea bags: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/388715/product_review_lipton_cold_brew_iced.html
I have not tried them. In fact, I don't even think I've ever seen them in stores. I'll keep an eye out and try a box if I find them. What have I got to lose?

Meanwhile, the unsweetened mix approach isn't working very well here. It's not so much the extra work. It's the lack of a good, convenient substitute lemon flavoring. I have been using store bought lemon juice and it just isn't making a good drink. Looks like I have to go to real lemons in order to finish this jar.

Take Care,
Tom

Gramps

The online thing is just crazy expensive. To put this into perspective, the online price of the 3 ounce size is 36% higher than my nearest supermarket... and that is before adding on shipping cost.

Last time we saw the 6 ounce size, it was $6.99 compared to $9.79 online (a 40% difference!)... again, before adding on the crazy shipping cost.

We definitely would prefer to buy the larger jar for cost savings and convenience, but as you can see, online is not the answer.

Take care,
Tom

p.s., Looks like the Sams Club thing was a false lead. We called a bunch of stores. None of them had it in stock.

Phiddlechik

well, I think you've been given lots of advice. Ask a local store to carry it (they will if you ask) and in the meantime, boil some water and drop a teabag in. add ice and a slice of lemon.

Gramps

well, I think you've been given lots of advice. Ask a local store to carry it (they will if you ask) and in the meantime, boil some water and drop a teabag in. add ice and a slice of lemon.
Yes, plenty of good advice on alternative approaches. I can always count on the good folks here.

One last supermarket chain to check with today and then we officially give up.

Take care,
Tom

buckytom

Grill Master
give up? :mellow:

if you're an iced tea drinker like me - at the very least a half gallon a day, you couldn't go iced turkey. :wave:

please let us know what you end up with.

just for iced tea talk, i drink a 60/40 mix of snapple diet decaf green tea. i either mix down the pre-made gallons, or use around half of the little tubules of powder that are meant for individual water bottles.

i also make the lipton cold brew at home. i'll drink a bottle or can of nestea or lipton iced teas, but they're too strong. they'e much better mixed down with ice and water.

the non-descript little bags of black tea from chinese restaurants make exceptionally good tea. i remember my mom making sun-tea, which i've learned is possibly dangerous, with white rose or barry's teabags.

also, except for the snapple green with ginseng, i don't like anything in my iced tea except lemon and a little sweetener. no peach, raspberry, mint, melon, mango, guava, passion fruit, or durian, please. thanks. :thumb:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
How difficult is it to just add tea bags to water, then brew, then sweeten (sugar alt-free-) or not?
It's cheap and it's tea.
Honestly, I don't know what more to add here.:confused:

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
I just buy the sugar free mix from ALDI. Think Crystal Light knock off. I dump one small container into a 2 liter bottle, then fill with cold water. Put the cap on, shake good, then enjoy.
I do miss my green tea with citrus, but it is too expensive and the ones that use fake sugar just don't taste right.

Gramps

give up? :mellow:

if you're an iced tea drinker like me - at the very least a half gallon a day, you couldn't go iced turkey. :wave:

please let us know what you end up with.
That's where I'm at right now... better than a half gallon a day.

And Miracle of Miracles... Today, I found my first 4.5 ounce jar of Lipton Diet Lemon Iced Tea mix! This is the mysterious in-between 15 quart size. Just one jar left on the shelves, and I got it! Price was right too!

I never suspected that a Target store would be the place where I'd find success (or at least partial success) in this quest. We never shop there due to their anti-Salvation Army stance. I may have to make a special exception in this case!!!

Take care,
Tom

Gramps

How difficult is it to just add tea bags to water, then brew, then sweeten (sugar alt-free-) or not?
It's cheap and it's tea.
Honestly, I don't know what more to add here.:confused:
I certainly don't mean to upset anyone here. I've gotten my answers and much more. Please re-read my initial post. It's just about convenience in our new circumstances and saving a little money. No more, no less. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Take care,
Tom

Gramps

I just buy the sugar free mix from ALDI. Think Crystal Light knock off. I dump one small container into a 2 liter bottle, then fill with cold water. Put the cap on, shake good, then enjoy.
I do miss my green tea with citrus, but it is too expensive and the ones that use fake sugar just don't taste right.
No ALDI markets near Boston, unfortunately. Looks like the neareast one is about 30 miles south. I also see some in Connecticut near where some friends of ours live. I'll keep an eye out when we are down that way. Thanks!

Take Care,
Tom

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I certainly don't mean to upset anyone here. I've gotten my answers and much more. Please re-read my initial post. It's just about convenience in our new circumstances and saving a little money. No more, no less. I'm sorry if I offended you.

Take care,
Tom
You couldn't offend me if you tried.
I was merely wondering what all the fuss was about sugar free tea, and I am happy you found what you were looking for.