Animal lovers, we have work to do.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Jerry was telling me about this terrible story earlier today...cautioned me against reading it because it is so gruesome. I feel so bad for the person who was ordered to slaughter these poor dogs. I cannot put into words how difficult that must have been for him. When a business is failing and it only needs half of its employees, is it OK to shoot the other half?

I know that you love your dogs the same way we do, Andy. What a monstrous betrayal of trust. I hope there are consequences.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank you Karen, While I am not the most religious of people, dogs and every other living thing are creatures created by the lord. I cannot fathom just killing them. Greyhounds are routinely killed when they stop running. There are rescue societies. Michael Vicks's dogs were at least attempted to be rehabilitated.

For those of you that are not animal people, please forgive me. I have two "boyz" that meet me every night and to them, I can do no wrong. It helps a lot. This one is a hot button for me.

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Our "boyz" are like our children. How can anyone look into their eyes and not realize that they have souls just like ours, and that we have been gifted with the privilege of caring for them? I am not religious, either, but I do believe that people who abuse the trust of helpless creatures will be judged in some way, someday. And I hope it hurts.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I knew better than to click on that link but I did it anyway. How very sad. How can people be so cruel? I'm in tears here. My own baby was just diagnosed with epilepsy today. She's been having Petit mal seizures for a couple of months now. She's had maybe 4 in the last 2 months.

The first one was in November. I had no idea what was going on. I had never seen a Petit mal seizure before. It was terrifying. She started defecating and vomiting at the same time. All of her muscles became tense, her back bowed up and she started trembling...it wasn't like the shaking that you see during what I think of as a seizure. She would try to walk and would stagger and fall. Her eyes were glazed over. She had a blank look on her face. I was terrified. I snatched her up and took her to the Vet who is only minutes away. By the time I got there, the seizure was over and she was back to normal. The vet told me that she may have just gotten VERY sick suddenly or there could be something else wrong and that I would have to monitor her for a while and if it continued to happen, they would need to run some tests.

She's had two small ones since then that only lasted a few minutes but this morning she had another one that lasted much longer than the other ones and was much worse so I immediately took her to the vet. They did blood work and everything came back fine. They said that it was epilepsy so they put her on Phenobarbital twice a day. I have to take her back in a month so they can check her. There doesn't appear to be a brain tumor or any liver problems or anything else that would cause the seizures so I am thankful for that.

Sorry...I didn't mean to hijack the thread.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Andy, I can't click it. I just can't.

Mama, I'm so sorry about your baby. I also have a very ill pup, and I understand how hard it is. We feel so helpless when their symptoms manifest.

I've lost 3 dogs in the last 5 years, and I have another who's ready to give up. My vet keeps reminding me that they were very lucky to be so loved while they were here, but it's still so hard to see them suffer. When we love them so much, it's impossible to understand how someone can abuse our friends.

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]The average dog is a nicer person than the average person. ~Andy Rooney[/FONT]

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
my little guy tig; he is great. the personality of my kitty, lol he completes me as a person!~

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Mama and SilverSage, I'm so sorry to hear about your sweethearts.

Having them to love for the years we have them is worth the heartache when they aren't doing well.

But, damn, it's SO hard!

Thoughts are with you both.

Lee

Last edited:

MexicoKaren

Joyfully Retired
Super Site Supporter
Oh Mama and SS - I am so sorry about your kids. They trust us to care for them, and you are both doing just that. Such a privilege to have these lives in our hands, and always such a short time. I hope the best for you.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama and SS. I feel very badly about your babies. I have two that while healthy now, I see them getting older and frequently fear for what might lie ahead. I have had pets all my life. I get really angry when some abused an animal that wants nothing more than to please it's master.

buckytom

Grill Master
i'm sorry too, mama and ss.

we've lost three of our fur-children in the past 4 years. i still miss them and dream that they're still here.

karen, i'm not so sure about the soul part of animals. joking aside, i wouldn't be able to eat the tastier creatures we think of as food, not pets if i did believe in an equal soul to a human..

spirit, life force, life energy, yes. but not a soul per se. just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I saw this first when you posted it on FF Andy.
Echoing what I said there: Senseless and sad.

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕🌎🦋
Gold Site Supporter
I have two that while healthy now, I see them getting older and frequently fear for what might lie ahead. I have had pets all my life. I get really angry when some abused an animal that wants nothing more than to please it's master.

Gretchen is my baby.
She's my fur wrapped daughter.:wub:
She is my constant in both sad and happy times.
I cannot imagine a life without a pet by my side.

She is going on to be 8 years old in April and is already showing signs of aging around her muzzle with the white, but you'd never know otherwise.

I think pets are here to teach us about unconditional love.
They trust us more than we trust ourselves.

How anyone could treat an animal in their care as something disposable is beyond the realm of comprehension.

Their lives are far shorter than ours, but in that time they give us far more than we could ever wish to give them in return.