Best tuna fish salad

urmaniac46

What do you mean by this? It should be left out because it contains eggs? I'm not following you. That doesn't sound very mainstream, like the OP asked for. Doesn't most tuna salads use mayonnaise? :mellow:

In case you weren't aware of, eggs (egg yolks to be exact) are an essential part of ingredients in mayonnaise. I mentioned that mayonnaise should be left out because I saw they couldn't use eggs in the OP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise#Making_mayonnaise

chowhound

In case you weren't aware of, eggs (egg yolks to be exact) are an essential part of ingredients in mayonnaise. I mentioned that mayonnaise should be left out because I saw they couldn't use eggs in the OP.

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise#Making_mayonnaise
[/URL]

Thanks. I just caught on to that in my post a little while ago.
When he mentioned no eggs my first thoughts were chopped up hard cooked eggs, which I don't consider mainstream either.
I did not realize that there were any mainstream tuna salad recipes in the US that didn't contain some form of mayo or Miracle Whip.

urmaniac46

Their tuna is better to me than the canned stuff we get here, especially the brined ones. As I said it is larger chunks with more flavor over all. It is imported though I've not seen it anywhere but in Florida and New York but I'm sure it can be purchased other places, perhaps Whole Foods though I've never looked.

Now Mayo and eggs are rarely used in their version of a tuna salad at least the few I had while there. Oh and it is a bit different depending on where you get it in Italy for example Rome's version will be a bit different than say Naples or even Florence. Italian food is really regional.

thanks Joe, actually "tuna salad" does have a numerous variations (like bolonaise sauce, every mamma and nonna has their own recipe!) and mayonnaise is certainly NOT considered as an integral part of its ingredients, though some people do use it. They do sell crappy tuna crumbs in bad oil here, too, but one thing is true that we get a whole lot more selections here, including very high quality fillet chunks.
And also true that our cuisine is very regional, each region has their own special style so much so that the general term "Italian cuisine" sounds a bit preposterous...:smile:

urmaniac46

Thanks. I just caught on to that in my post a little while ago.
When he mentioned no eggs my first thoughts were chopped up hard cooked eggs, which I don't consider mainstream either.
I did not realize that there were any mainstream tuna salad recipes in the US that didn't contain some form of mayo or Miracle Whip.

No problem chowhound!!;) I didn't particularly get what the meaning of "mainstream" could be with tuna salad, as I mentioned in the above post, there is no such thing as "mainstream" recipe for a tuna salad everyone make one in their own way, which is all different!!:biggrin:

Gramps

The first ingredient should be GOOD tuna. Don't waste your money on the cheap stuff, go for the solid white albacore, either in water if you want to save calories and fat, or oil if you don't care so much about that and like the somewhat more intense flavor of the fish. Bumble Bee is a good brand, in my experience.

i only use solid white albacore in WATER only, in oil tastes to heavy and strong for me.
Thanks for bringing this back up. Since I have only ever used solid white albacore in water, you've got me wondering how the taste might vary if I went to oil packed or to chunk white, chunk light or some other variation. Perhaps it's time to do some experimenting in that regard as well. Who knows - that may be the missing "ingredient" in the tuna salad I am trying to duplicate.

In regard to shelf life, I'm still unclear about when taste degradation begins and when to just throw the cans out. There is a date on the cans that says "Best by xx/xxxx". If that is the date that taste degradation begins (my assumption), how much longer before I should throw the cans out? The reason I ask this is that I am not the greatest rotator of stored foods and I discovered six stored cans of tuna (still in bulk plastic wrap) with a "Best by" date of October 2008. What would you do with canned tuna of this vintage???

Take care,
Tom

Gramps

Hi Gramps- I couldn't find a place to say Welcome to NCT. So I will just say it here.
Not relevant- But I love Creamed Tuna on Toast.
Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.
Ahhhhhhhh, now I understand. it's a survivalist thingy, not a camping thingy. I guess it's important to start looking up different tasty grubs and worms and edible plants. Mea culpa. There's really no need to be cryptic here. We've heard it all and will not pass judgement, and frankness will help us to better answer your questions.
Definitely not a hardcore survivalist here by any means, but sometimes plans and circumstances change and it's comforting to have a good variety and supply of stored foods at our family place up north.

Take care,
Tom

Gramps

In regard to the "eggs" and "mainstream" comments, no one in my family is allergic to eggs or has any pressing health problems that cause them to drastically limit their intake of eggs. I asked that egg-based recipes be omitted only because the deli recipe I am trying so hard to duplicate supposedly is made without any hard-boiled eggs... although, as mentioned above, I cannot be 100% sure that I was told the truth! Regardless, for the "camp" recipe, eggs should be considered unavailable anyway.

I used the term "mainstream" only because I didn't want to get into any particularly wild or unusual variations here. I'm sure it is possible to add just about anything to your tuna salad, but that is not my immediate goal. Secret ingredients are totally fine, but let's please keep them to things that a high quality restaurant or deli is likely to use in a tuna salad with pretty much universal appeal. Thanks! :chef:

Take care,
Tom

Last edited:

chowhound

...The reason I ask this is that I am not the greatest rotator of stored foods and I discovered six stored cans of tuna (still in bulk plastic wrap) with a "Best by" date of October 2008. What would you do with canned tuna of this vintage???

Take care,
Tom

Throw a "nostalgia/Remembering the year 2008" party and serve it on crackers.
:lol:

Lefty

Yank
i only use solid white albacore in WATER only, in oil tastes to heavy and strong for me.
My choice too.!!!

Welcome, Gramps! I camp and fish a lot, and I either make my tuna salad on the spot and eat it when setup in a camp situation, or I buy the cans of ready made tuna salad and eat it on crackers when fishing all day and carrying a daypack. I also buy chicken salad premade for pack trips. This way I don't have to be concerned with spoilage or intestinal distress while on stream.

At home I like to use chunk tuna packed in water (drained off), then mix with mayo or Miracle whip (I have a non-discriminating palette), sweet pickle relish, diced sweet onion, finely sliced celery or celery seed if I'm out of fresh celery. Put it on whole wheat toast with lettuce and tomato, then season with salt & pepper. Sometimes I'll add a slice of American cheese, and always have a side of potato chips and a Pepsi (No Coke).

This is the same recipe I use when making chicken salad from the chicken I use to make soup or stock.
Mine is very close to yours, but I use solid tuna, and instead of sweet onion I use scallions and hellmans mayo is a must. Very close indeed.

sirena

I make tuna salad the way my mom did for school lunches. Tuna (water or oil packed, you choice), Miracle Whip for the tangy taste and, to me, the secret ingredient ...... MUSTARD! Plain yellow mustard. One can tuna, Miracle whip to taste and about a tablespoon of mustard. That's it. Easy peazy.

buckytom

Grill Master
one more vote for how our mamas made it. simply.

start with solid white albacore in water. use the lid to press out excess water so that it is well drained. then just add minced celery, s&p, and mayo. optional diced onions and pickled hot peppers are added to the sandwich, not mixed into the tuna.

and welcome, gramps!

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
one more vote for how our mamas made it. simply.

start with solid white albacore in water. use the lid to press out excess water so that it is well drained. then just add minced celery, s&p, and mayo. optional diced onions and pickled hot peppers are added to the sandwich, not mixed into the tuna.

and welcome, gramps!
:a1::agree:

GotGarlic

Mine is slightly different :smile: Albacore tuna packed in water, sprinkled with a little lemon juice, S&P and mixed together. Then chop up a couple tbsp. dill pickle and mix it in with just enough mayo to bind. It's the dill pickle that makes the recipe :chef:

And btw, mayo does not need to be refrigerated for safety. It's an old story that mayo causes food poisoning, but that was when mayo was made with fresh eggs; commercial mayo is made with pasteurized eggs, so it's no more likely to cause food poisoning than unrefrigerated mustard.

How can I be so sure? My uncle sailed around the world with no refrigeration - took him seven years, and tuna salad was a frequent lunch item.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I also use sweet pickle relish myself and if out us a pinch of fresh dill weed. Just don't use much as this is an herb that a little goes a long way.

FryBoy

I also use sweet pickle relish myself and if out us a pinch of fresh dill weed. Just don't use much as this is an herb that a little goes a long way.
My wife used to put a little dill in it, but I got tired of it because even just a pinch tends to dominate the flavors. And I do like dill, but it's just not one of those herbs that works in everything.

Oh, yeah -- sometimes she adds a tiny bit of curry powder, which is a nice touch.

And I've had tuna salad with a bit of finely chopped mango chutney in it -- GOOD!

Love2"Q"

for really good tuna salad .. i like to use fresh yellow fin ..
but for everyday tuna .. the pouches of white albacore are really
good ..

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My wife used to put a little dill in it, but I got tired of it because even just a pinch tends to dominate the flavors. And I do like dill, but it's just not one of those herbs that works in everything.

Oh, yeah -- sometimes she adds a tiny bit of curry powder, which is a nice touch.

And I've had tuna salad with a bit of finely chopped mango chutney in it -- GOOD!

I use dill in my deviled eggs sometimes but like I said a little goes a long way so I start with a very small amount then if more is needed I might add it.

Gramps

So many good ideas, so little time. :smile: I thank everyone sincerely for your input. I didn't make it to the grocery store yesterday due to a minor family emergency, but I will definitely make it this afternoon. In fact, I am printing out this whole thread and bringing it with me to make sure I don't miss any of the suggested ingredients.

Another question regarding recipe two (the home recipe): When possible, do you let your tuna fish salad rest (breathe?) for a few hours or days in the 'frig before you eat it? It's been suggested to me that tuna salad gets significantly better with 'frig time. I must say from my own limited experience that there may be something to that.

Also, I'm still hoping for a definitive "voice of experience" answer on what do do with that stack of past "Best by" date tuna I mentioned above. I really hate to waste anything, but I don't want to make anyone sick either... including me! Would you eat or serve 9 month past date tuna? Or should I bite the bullet and just throw it out? I'd feed it to my cat... but I don't have one. :smile:

Take care,
Tom

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Me personally I wouldn't eat it 9 months past the Best By date but that is just me. You could simply open a can and smell it or take a small taste. If good then no problem but as I said earlier canned tuna rarely lasts a week around here.

buckytom

Grill Master
gramps, i agree with the "fridge time" theory. (why is there a "d" in fridge, but none in refrigerator? :huh:)

firstly, tuna does seem to taste better chilled, but i think that overnight seems to help the flavors blend. could it be some kind of umami thing happening?

oh, i forgot about hot sauce. anyone like franks, sriracha, tabasco, or louisiana hot sauce on their tuna sammich?

High Cheese

Saucier
Mine is slightly different :smile: Albacore tuna packed in water, sprinkled with a little lemon juice, S&P and mixed together. Then chop up a couple tbsp. dill pickle and mix it in with just enough mayo to bind. It's the dill pickle that makes the recipe :chef:

+1

My tuna salad contains: Tuna packed in water(thoroughly drained), mayo(about 1 1/2 T per can of tuna), minced celery, red onion & pickle, salt, pepper & capers. I usually enjoy it on melba toast.

Jim_S

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Site Supporter
oh, i forgot about hot sauce. anyone like franks, sriracha, tabasco, or louisiana hot sauce on their tuna sammich?

I've been known to put mild jalapenos in mine and eat it like a dip with chips.

Jim

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
i like to put lots of lettuce, sour cream and onion chips and those yellow hot vinegar pepper rings ON (not in the salad) my tuna sammies sometimes.

buckytom

Grill Master
oh man, i love "those yellow hot vinegar peppers". my faves are mt olive brand.

they're great on grilled pork chops too. and pizza!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've been know to used jalapeños, pickled Italian peppers, cayenne pepper, and plabamo peppers but have never tried it with a hot sauce before.