Quick and Easy Pot Pies

Ian M.

Another staple I fix often for poker night - these are so good and very easy to put together. You can make chicken pies, beef pies or vegetable pies...whatever you want to make and the same recipe works for all.

1/2 rotisserie chicken, meat shredded into bite-sized pieces OR about 1 scant pound of stew beef, browned and shredded OR root vegetables of choice, chopped to bite size.
2 tbls. olive oil
About 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
3 tbls. all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling out pastry
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 quart chicken, beef or vegetable broth
3 tbls. heavy cream (optional)
2 ribs of celery, thinly sliced
1 tsp. dried thyme
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

1 pkg. all-butter frozen puff pastry, thawed in refrigerator
1 egg beaten with 1 tbls. water for brushing pastry

Heat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment. Heat oil in a large, heavy pot over medium heat; add onion, carrots, celery, thyme, 1/2 tsp. salt and a pinch of pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender but not fully cooked, about 6 minutes.

Put flour in a glass jar with a lid and add 1/2 cup broth. Tighten lid and shake jar vigorously until flour is fully incorporated. Add remaining 3 1/2 cups of broth to vegetables, increase heat, and bring to a simmer; stir in flour and broth mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mixture is lightly thickened; stir in meat , peas and cream (if using); season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and keep hot.

Dust a clean work surface generously with flour and carefully lay out chilled putt pastry dough; dust surface of dough with flour. Using a large round cutter that is just smaller than the opening of your serving bowls, cut out 4 circles of dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Using a small cutter or knife, cut several holes or vents in the center of each pastry round. Brush surface with egg wash and bake until pastry is puffed and top is deep golden, about 15 minutes.

Divide meat mixture among 4 serving bowls and top each with a pastry round. Serve immediately. Great served with a small dinner salad and hot rolls. A definite :thumb: from the poker buddies! I've been known to serve both chicken and beef pot pies on the same night to give guests a choice.

Ian :cooking:

UncleRalph

Quo Fata Ferunt
Site Supporter
Reading this, I can't wait for cooler weather to set in, and some american football to be on the tv(though not too big a football fan, it just means fall is coming). Again, another great comfort food! With the temps still hovering in the 90's, I am gonna hold off for a while.

Ian M.

Smart move, Ralph, to wait for cooler weather. I just simply crank the A/C up to somewhere between Anchorage and Siberia and have at it but then DW harps about the size of the electric bill....so what ya gonna do?

Incidently, for a really good ball game (I'm not a football fan either, which is considered something of a sacrilege when you live under the shadow of the New England Patriots!) try soccer. That's my game and I watch the games out of England whenever possible. Not quite as much fun since Beckham stopped playing for Man U, but still exciting and I love it! I feel that Stuart Pearce made a horrible mistake by not tapping Beckham to play for team GB at the Olympics! Could cost them a gold in soccer! Sour grapes for Pearce!

Ian :chef:

Last edited:

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
Thank you, thank you Ian!
Pot pies are one of my very favourite cold weather (or any weather) comfort foods.
I'm going to bookmark this.