Killer Gravy (darkish brown - mushroom)

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
okay....done this multiple times now and it draws raves from the peanut gallery.

WARNING those opposed to using anything 'prepared' should exit now -

shopping list:
dried morel mushrooms
fresh cremini mushrooms - about one medium mushroom per person
packaged mushroom gravy mix - I'm fond of McCormicks for this recipe

....dried morels - ACK! can't believe that . . .
yeah - in our market 0.5 ounce / 14.18 g for 9.99 USD - translates to 319.68 USD per pound or 704.89 USD per kilo.
mail order, only sane way to go, some planning required - but dry morels ain't cheap.

a 'packet' of gravy powder generally calls for one cup of water. so, one cup of water in a small sauce pan, add 2-3 large or smaller chunks of the dry morels. bring to a simmer, turn off, allow to steep until cool. remove morels, squeeze out & toss. I find the texture of re-hydrated mushrooms not to my liking.

pour the water from the saucepan into a measuring cup; top off with water/white wine to one cup.

(I use the same sauce pan) - add gravy mix powder, 'dissolve' with a whisk. start on low heat.

while that is heating, dice up the fresh mushrooms and add to the pot.

bring to a rolling boil, stir right regular, then cut back to minimum 'keep warm' setting.
adjust consistency as needed just prior to service.

this is 'mushroom liquor' from re-hydrating + mushroom gravy mix + reinforced with fresh mushroom.
how can it miss?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
yum! i'm shoppin' soon-- those morels're $60/lb., fresh. we have racks of dehydrated 'shrooms fer way less.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
fresh may not work out so well in this approach.

the dried give up much more intense flavor. . .

Moxie

....dried morels - ACK! can't believe that . . .
yeah - in our market 0.5 ounce / 14.18 g for 9.99 USD - translates to 319.68 USD per pound or 704.89 USD per kilo.
mail order, only sane way to go, some planning required - but dry morels ain't cheap......

..... remove morels, squeeze out & toss. I find the texture of re-hydrated mushrooms not to my liking.

:no:

When I buy morels, it's a rare treat, and I certainly wouldn't be throwin' 'em out!

:bangin:

Morels are kinda chewy, whether fresh or reconstituted. To 'improve' the texture, slice the larger ones in half lengthwise, leave the smaller pieces whole. Saute them in some hot butter and let them brown up a bit and get a little texture on the edges. Serve as is or deglaze your pan with a bit of cognac & stock.

:twak:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
The mushroom gravy sounds delicious, Chowder!

Thanks for the recipe!

Lee

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I'm not against your method of re-hydrating the mr's, pulling them out, and throwing them away. If that works for you and draws raves from the peanut gallery, then I say do it. The gravy does sound delicious.

I found some dried shiitakes the other day and am going to use them as a base for a soup. I'm thinking that I'm going to pulverize them into tiny pieces, almost a power, so I can just leave all of it in the base of the soup.

I'm a little worried about the grit that sometimes comes off of dried mushrooms. Maybe I can just lightly brush them off before pulverizing. I'm still thinking about this one.

I love cooking with all kinds of dried mushrooms, so I was really excited to see that my Wally World has started carrying several varieties. The flavor that comes out of them is unbelievable!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
......true grit.....

try: bring water to boil, plunk in the dried 'shrooms to rehydrate, turn off the heat, stir now & then, let cool.

you get a 'liquor' - with any grit on the bottom.....