Pinto Beans

LADawg

Back in the early of mid 1990’s, before the internet is what it is today, there was a computer service named Prodigy. Some of you may remember it. Anyway, there was a bulletin board about cooking, and it had a section about bar-b-que. Someone posted the following recipe for dried pinto beans. I cooked these often years ago but almost forgot about them for the past 3 or 4 years.
I put some in the crock pot early this morning and from the first couple of taste to see how done they are getting they are sure going to be GOOD!
HORSESHOE MOUNTAIN PINTO BEANS
1/2 Pound Dry Pinto Beans
1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
1 to 2 Quarts Water
1/4 Teaspoon Mexican Oregano
3 Slices Bacon
1 Clove Garlic, minced, or more to taste
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1/2 Cup Onion, chopped, or more to taste
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper, fresh ground or to taste
Wash, sort, and place Beans in a large pot or kettle. Add Water and remaining Ingredients (except Salt, which should be added 30 minutes before the beans are done). Cover and simmer for 5 to 6 hours. Check liquid level occasionally, adding more water as needed. If you want to jazz the beans up a bit add more Garlic and Chili Powder. This recipe also works especially well in a crock-pot. If you use a crock-pot then use only one quart of water and cook on the low setting for 8 to 9 hours.
Notes: 1. If more Water is needed make sure it is boiling, and not cold Water.
2. Salt should NOT be added until about 30 minutes before the Beans are done.
3. Beans can be soaked in water overnight to shorten cooking time.
:bbq3:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Copied and saved for this summer, LA.

I take it that you chopped up the bacon and tossed it in raw?

Lee

chilefarmer

Beans are right at the top of my list of good eats. I like them with cornbread and sometimes with rice. Your recipe sounds mighty fine. Thanks. CF

LADawg

Copied and saved for this summer, LA.

I take it that you chopped up the bacon and tossed it in raw?

Lee

You are so right. I did cut the bacon into small pieces and cooked it along with the beans and other ingredients.

Johnny West

I've done this recipe.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Mexico-Stewed-Pot-Beans

And here is one from a friend in Texas.

Here is an easy slow cooker one. It's for a 2 Qt crock so just double it for more.

Tex-Mex Pinto Beans

8 oz dried pintos (1/2 pkg)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 tsp minced garlic
3 1/4 cups water
1/2 Tbs chili powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

Soak beans overnight. Mix everything into a 2 Qt cooker and cook on low for 7 - 9 hours.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here's mine!

Pressure-cooked Pinto Beans.
Ingredients;

1lb dried pinto beans.
1/2 cup each;

Copped onions.
Chopped celery.
Chopped green peppers.

1/2 cup bacon grease or cooking oil.
5 to 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped roughly..

1/8 tsp. each;

Seasoned Salt.
Ground Black Pepper.
Sylvia's Seasoning.
Garlic powder.
Cajun Seasoning.
Salt.

2 or more dashes liquid smoke. Not too much, or beans will taste like medicine!

Water to cover.

Directions;

Fry bacon in skillet. Remove bacon when done and deglaze skillet with a little hot water & scrape up brown particles. Add this water to beans in pressure cooker before sealing it.

Heat bacon grease or oil over medium heat in pressure cooker. Add chopped veggies. Cook & sweat until almost tender.

Meanwhile, pick over beans to remove any foreign materials. Rinse in colander to remover dirt. Add to cooked veggies in pressure cooker.

Add enough water to cover. Do not add bacon yet. Cover pressure cooker with lid, seal & set pressure regular on vent pipe. Over medium heat, let the pressure cooker come up to pressure. When regulator begins to jiggle, begin timing cooking process for 45 minutes to an hour.

Remove from heat and release pressure according to manual's instructions. Beans should be soft. Add cooked roughly chopped bacon. Adjust seasonings if needed or desired. L Cover loosely & let liquid cooked down a little until it is slightly thickened.

Serves about 6 or 8. Enjoy! :weber:

If desired, smoked turkey wings, neck bones or ham hocks can be used in place of the bacon. In that case, cook along with the beans from the beginning.
Attached Images
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php