Vegetable Mai Fun (rice noodles/sticks)

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Here’s a wonderful dish I get every time we order Chinese take-out. After a little trial and error, I came up with this version which closely matches my favorite from a local restaurant here. You can also add strips of chicken or pork to this.

Vegetable Mai Fun

Ingredients:

1/2 block dry Mai Fun rice noodles (sticks)
2 cups shredded cabbage
1-1/2 cups shredded carrot
3/4 cup yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 bunches green onions, coarsely chopped
Soy sauce to taste (about 1-1/2 Tbsp)
3/4 cup chicken broth

Preparation:

Start by soaking the dry Mai Fun noodles in hot (not boiling) water in a covered dish for 5 - 8 minutes or until loose and pliable. Drain and set aside in a covered bowl.

In a large skillet or Wok (with a tablespoon or so of oil), stir fry the cabbage, carrot, and yellow onion for two minutes. Add the green onion and stir fry one minute more. Add the Mai Fun noodles and stir fry for one minute. Add the soy sauce and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, cover the skillet/Wok, and remove from heat. The liquid will be absorbed by the noodles as it sits (about 5 or so minutes). Toss well before serving.

Notes:

The Mai Fun noodles are very long and sort of hard to work with. They clump together making it a bit difficulty to stir them into the vegetables before serving. It helps to use two tools for the job (a wooden spoon and wooden fork are good). Alternatively, you can cut or break the noodles in half prior to soaking.

I love this dish, and will often have it with just about anything (even if the rest of the meal isn't of an "oriental" theme) or simply eat a big bowl by itself.

These are the noodles I use.

homecook

If I feel better I may make this tomorrow. I even have those noodles in my pantry (don't know why). Thanks for the recipe!

Barb

homecook

I did make this for dinner and it turned out super!! Ds wouldn't stop eating it. Thank you!

Barb

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Fantastic! I'm glad you liked. I LOVE this recipe! It's rather addictive!! :biggrin:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I made this tonight.

First, cook your veggies. If you want them crisp, then flash them in hot oil. If you want them softer, use lower heat and a lid. I prefer a bit softer, so I lowered the heat and put the lid on.
Step1-17.jpg

Now add the noodles that you have been soaking in hot water. Stir to incorporate.
step2-12.jpg

I got a wild hair tonight, and added egg to it. In another bowl, I beat 1 egg, then moved the noodles and veggies to the side. In the middle, I scrambled the egg and then mixed all to incorporate.
Step3-10.jpg

With everything mixed, add your soy and then stir constantly to well coat everything. Now add the chicken stock, and kill the heat. Cover, and let sit 5-10 minutes.
Step4-8.jpg

When ready, stir well to mix and then plate it! This stuff is so addictive!
step5-8.jpg

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
"I got a wild hair tonight" I never have heard that one before! LOL!
Looks good, Keltin!

LMAO! :yum:

Sorry about the dialect, I just take for granted sometimes! It's just something we say down here when you mean you just went off on a tangent for a bit (gray hairs always go cock-eyed according to the rest of your hair - and what a bent and angle!). I never really thought about it till now! :lol:

I remember one time growing up, I did something and my Mom said "What kind of hair have you got growing on your ass to do that in front of me"?

Turns out it was Turkish cigarettes that “looked” like “joints”. My buddy had brought them in from Saudi after the Gulf War, and we loved them, but they looked so illegal that everyone screamed! :lol:

homecook

I'm glad you brought this up again. I haven't made it since the first time. It is really good! Did the egg do anything to the flavor? I may try it next time.

We use that expression "up here" too. lol We say "I've got a wild hair up my ass!" The meaning is the same.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I'm glad you brought this up again. I haven't made it since the first time. It is really good! Did the egg do anything to the flavor? I may try it next time.

We use that expression "up here" too. lol We say "I've got a wild hair up my ass!" The meaning is the same.

That’s exactly the phrase! A wild hair up your ass! Heard it so many times it’s just natural now! :lol:

To be honest, that one egg didn’t really impact the dish at all. Maybe 3 or 4 would, but 1 did not.

BUT…..it was fun to cook it! It’s a neat thing to do, but in this dish, other than entertaining the cook, it didn’t add a lot. So skip it by all means!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Oh....did you make this??? How'd you like it?

homecook

Oh....did you make this??? How'd you like it?

I made this when you first posted it. My comments are up above. We liked it alot. My son especially liked it! He couldn't get enough.

I promise the next time I make it I will take pictures. LOL

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
nice looking dish. love stir fries. gonna try

I hope you do, it is rather addictive. If you like onion, then put it in as well. DW isn't a big fan of onion, so I don't use it alot unless it really cooks down.