POTATO GNOCCHI - Gnocchi di Patate

TxsChef

POTATO GNOCCHI - Gnocchi di Patate

Almost every part of Italy has its own version of gnocchi. These are easy and delicious.

2 ounces Parmesan cheese [55g], cut into 1-inch [2.5cm] pieces
2 medium baking potatoes [about 1 pound total, 450g], unpeeled
1 cup all-purpose flour [5 ounces, 140g]
½ stick unsalted butter [2 ounces, 55g], melted
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Drop the Parmesan through the feed tube of a food processor with the metal blade in place and the motor running. Process until finely chopped, about 45 seconds. Reserve. Cook the potatoes in salted water to cover until tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain, peel and quarter them. Pass them through a food mill or ricer into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon and knead the mixture on a lightly floured surface for 2 to 3 minutes. If the dough is too sticky, add more flour by the tablespoon until it is smooth.To shape the gnocchi, divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll one piece into an 18-inch [45cm] long cylinder about 5/8 inch [1.5cm] in diameter. (Keep the remaining pieces covered until needed.) Cut into 3/4-inch [2cm] pieces; press each piece with your finger on the back of a lightly floured fork (fig.1), rolling it off the end of the tines to curl slightly (fig. 2). Place on a floured towel. Repeat the rolling and shaping with the .remaining dough, flouring the fork often. Drop the gnocchi in plenty of salted boiling water and cook until they float to the surface, about 1 minute and 15 seconds.
Remove with a slotted spoon to a warmed shallow serving dish.

Pour the melted butter over the gnocchi, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Serve with additional grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Makes 6 servings [about 3 ounces each, 85g].

urmaniac46

I must say I always found boiling whole potatoes a wee too tedious, as it takes an awful long time. Microwaving them like we do for "mock baked potatoes" (with some holes punched through with a fork), or steaming the already diced potato chunks also works very well, and it takes less time.:wink:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I must say I always found boiling whole potatoes a wee too tedious, as it takes an awful long time. Microwaving them like we do for "mock baked potatoes" (with some holes punched through with a fork), or steaming the already diced potato chunks also works very well, and it takes less time.:wink:

Heyyyyyyyyyy!!! Urmaniac is in the house! :clap:

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

Head on over to the Introductions Forum to get a REAL welcome from everybody!

Lee

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter

you can also bake them...saves alot of the work

urmaniac46

Thanks Lee!! I am touched that you still remember me!!:blush: I didn't think many people would so I thought I would make a quiet entry but I guess I'd better do my proper intro...:alc:
Bams I haven't tried baking but that sounds good, probably it does add a nice flavour too. I will try bake a few extra for gnocchi next time:chef:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Yes, it is just a matter of time, FM. The cream always rises to the top!