Tom Yum Paste

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I ordered some Tom Yum Paste from Amazon. If anyone has used it, I'd like to hear what you think about it. It's used to make the base of Tom Yum Soup.

From Amazon:

Lobo Tom Yum Paste 50g. Thai Food. Tom Yum is characterized by its distinct hot and sour flavours, with fragrant herbs generously used. The basic broth is made of stock and fresh ingredients, such as lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, shallots, lime juice, fish sauce, tamarind and crushed chili peppers. In Thailand, Tom Yum is usually made with prawns (Tom Yum Goong), chicken (Tom Yum Gai), fish (Tom Yum Pla) or mixed seafood (Tom Yum Talay or Tom Yum Po Taek) and mushrooms - usually straw or oyster mushrooms.

The soup is often topped with a generous sprinkling of freshly chopped coriander (cilantro) leaves.

Cut open, the paste will come out easily. 1. Boil 2 cups (480 ml) of water. (You can substitute about 200ml of water for coconut milk if desired). 2. Add the contents of this packet to the boiling water. 3. Add 200g of de-veined shrimps and 100g of mushrooms. 4. Add fish sauce and lime juice to taste.

Johnny West

This looks interesting, a lot like pho - yesterday I deep cleaned the refer and see I have a lot of what is required, even fish sauce and tamarind.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
IMG_6665.jpg.html

Pkg finally arrived - big pkg of cloud ear mr's, shiitakes, lily buds, and tom yum paste

JW - I'll let you know what I think of the paste. Reviews say it's HOT.

No pic - Stilll having problems figuring out this computer :(

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Finally figured it out :). I need to get to the grocery store to get some cilantro, and then I'll be trying out the Tom Yum Paste.

IMG_6665.jpg