Looking for steamed clams recipes

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
I live in SW FL on the Gulf coast six months out of the year. There is an excellent and nearby farmers' market every Saturday morning October through April. One of the vendors is a young family from Pine Island, an hour and a quarter away. Bless those folks because they get up about three in the morning to get to market on time. They dig clams on Friday and have large coolers full of them for the market in sizes small, medium, and large. I buy a couple dozen almost every week (2 dz large for 10 bucks) for Saturday or Sunday dinners. They are steamed along with a little white wine, garlic, and onions but that is the only way I have prepared them.

If any of you have any recipes I would appreciate it if you would post them. Thanks, Jeekinz for your mussels and clams topic. I'll try any and all recipes so enlighten me. Thanks.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is one by Stu Carpenter that I tried and liked a while back.

Clam Bake * Exported from MasterCook *
Recipe By :Stuart Carpenter
Serving Size : 4

2 cups white wine
12 small red potatoes
1 pound polish sausage -- sliced
4 italian sausages
4 onions -- peeled
1 bud garlic -- peeled and seperated into cloves
4 ears sweet corn -- shucked, cut in thirds
2 bay leaves
Salt & pepper
crushed red pepper
1 pound shrimp
2 quarts steamers (soft clams)
3 tablespoons chopped green onion -- for garnish (just chop a bunch)
3 tablespoons chopped parsley -- for garnish (just chop a bunch)
butter
crusty bread
hot mustard
hot sauce
cold beer

In a large pot combine wine, potatoes, sausages, onions, garlic, corn and bay leaves. Cover with about 3 quarts cold water and season to taste with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add shrimp and clams, cover and cook until they open, about 15 minutes. You can serve this right from the pot at table.

Serve with fresh warm crusty bread and lots of butter, lemons, hot sauce and napkins!

lilylove

Yummmmy!! That's how I do mine too Buzz. But... then I dip them in melted garlic butter. Oh my!! You're a lucky guy! Enjoy!! I'm sure more ideas will be coming! Don't forget the bread for all the extra juice!

High Cheese

Saucier
Great prices on those clams!

That's basically how I make them. Ironchef suggested adding some chorizo which I have been meaning to try. I've used slices shallot, sliced onion (red and white) even sliced fennel. As long as the wine is in there, you're good.

Calicolady

Great prices on those clams!

That's basically how I make them. Ironchef suggested adding some chorizo which I have been meaning to try. I've used slices shallot, sliced onion (red and white) even sliced fennel. As long as the wine is in there, you're good.

That sounds super yum with the chorizo.
I was going to post my rec. for linguini w/white clam sauce, as I'm making it for dad's sunday birthday, but may edit to add.
Thanks.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Yes I would like the recipe I posted better with a good chorizo instead of the polish sausage.

Last edited:

chowhound

Attachments

• 9-12 mussels.jpg
    9-12 mussels.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 145

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Chowhound - it doesn't get any better than fresh mussels. I've been to Brussels 150 times more or less and ate them nearly every trip. I love those things. The hotel where I stayed had at least a half dozen steamed mussels dishes on their menu. I'm starting to salivate.

Joe - man, does that sound good. I'm going to do it this weekend for some dinner guests and try the idea about swapping the Polish for some chorizo.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm not much on oysters but clams I love go figure. Yes my wife and I both loved Stu's recipe though we don't see many fresh clams here in Kentucky. Next time we see some we will do it again for sure.