Branzino/Branzini/Mediterranean Sea Bass?

Did a search here for it, & received zero results.

Has anyone here had Branzino (aka Branzini, aka Mediterranean Sea Bass, etc., etc.) which has been the latest "fad" finfish for the past several years? One of our local markets is advertising it at a very good price for just a couple of days, so I'm thinking I may go pick up a couple & have some fun roasting them whole, Greek-style.

It's supposed to be a mild, yet flavorful (sweet, nutty) white-fleshed fish that lends itself well to simple whole-roasted recipes. Very popular in Greece & Italy. It commands outrageous prices in restaurants, & since over the years I've cooked many types of seafood at home with excellent results, I'd prefer to do it myself.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone here has cooked it or had it in a restaurant.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
if you don't have a DNA trace on the fish, anything "sea bass" is exceptionally extremely suspect.

>>>I'm presuming you've read the blurbs about the huge huge percentage of junk fish being sold under "desirable / hot / fad / in" fish names.<<<

the marketeers will buy carp and put a "sea bass" label on it.

if there's no confidence in the scientific name of the fish you're buying, yer' on yer' own.

With all due respect "Chowderman", I've SEEN legitimate origin/species-TAGGED Branzino, & I can spot a Carp - of any size/age - at 30 paces or more (I frequent Asian markets as well). I really don't believe in any way, shape, or form, that I need to demand a DNA test. Good friggin grief. I'm also EXTREMELY familiar with all the local & commonly purveyed saltwater bass, snappers, yadayadayada here. We eat seafood about 3 times a week. All sorts of seafood. Plus, I grew up right ON the waterfront & bought our fish off the boats. I'm not a seafood neophyte. So I don't really care if I'm, as you say "on my own".

I wasn't asking for a sermon, or how to recognize a legitimate Branzino. I was asking if anyone had cooked them or had them in a restaurant - something I've yet to do.

If you haven't, then obviously you can't answer my question.

I'm sorry if I sound snarky, but it really rubs me the wrong way when someone automatically assumes the OP is an idiot & completely bypasses the question asked in order to sermonize. Arggghhh!

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
you're not an idiot, and you need to be very careful about calling other people snarky.

you also do not read much news. fraudulent fish labeling is rampant.

enjoy your fish.

Uh - please read my post AGAIN Chowderman & point out where I called anyone "snarky"? I said that "I", as in "me/myself" apologized for SOUNDING snarky. Where did I call anyone else snarky?

And I KNOW that I'm not an idiot (don't need you to tell me that - lol!), & you have quite a bit of nerve assuming & stating that I "do not read much news". I am fully aware of the problems with fraudulent fish labeling, but in this case the Branzino I'm looking at IS Branzino. Labeling may be "rampant", but that doesn't mean EVERY vendor is a crook.

Frankly, after reading your last post, I don't believe I need to be careful at this point in NOW calling YOU "snarky". :good:

And ONCE AGAIN - you obviously cannot answer my question re: first-hand experience eating or cooking this particular fish. So WHY are you continuing your dissertation on a completely different subject? Start your own thread on fish mislabeling - no need to continue it here please.