Fennel Stuffed Trout

buckytom

Grill Master
this is my favourite way to prepare trout. it works well both over hot coals of a campfire, on a gas grill, or in the oven.

ingredients:
3 whole rainbow trout, 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. each
1 bulb of fennel
15 scallions
5 tbsps balsamic vinegar
2 tbsps dried thyme, or 9 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 lemons
butcher's twine
evoo
medium crystal sea salt, freshly cracked black pepper

directions:
trim the roots of the scallions, then cutoff the upper half of the green part and discard. cut the remaining scallions in half, into about 2 to 3 inch pieces. set aside in a large bowl.

trim off the stems/ferns and the bottom core of the bulb of fennel and discard. cut bulb into small strips about the same size and amount as the scallions, add to the bowl with the scallions.

add s&p, balsamic vinegar, and a drizzle of evoo and toss to coat. set mixture aside to marinate.

gut, scale, and remove the head and fins of the trout. rinse and pat dry inside and out.

drizzle fish with evoo on both sides, then sprinkle each of the three fish inside and out with s&p and dried thyme. if using sprigs of thyme, place three sprigs inside each body cavity. carefully stuff the body cavity with the scallion/fennel mixture, then tie in a few spots to help keep it loosely closed. continue to stuff remaining mixture into each fish until they are bursting and can hold no more.

place stuffed trout in a fish grilling basket over medium hot coals, or on a aluminum foil "tray" that's been poked with holes on the grill over medium heat, or place stuffed fish in an oiled baking dish in a 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes until the fish is cooked through and the veggies are just getting soft.

when plating, remove strings and drizzle each fish with lemon juice. serve with rice and grilled asparagus.

pics will be posted tomorrow.

buckytom

Grill Master
i grilled it on aluminum foil, but i wish i had a grilling basket so i could have flipped it to crisp both sides.

here's the pics.

stuffed and ready to go:

img4225i.jpg

on the grill with asparagus and another bulb of fennel:

img4237.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Wow, that looks beautiful!

I wish I liked fennel. Or trout. :D

How did you like it?

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
it needed peppers... ;)

it was delicious. i didn't think my little guy was going to like it so i only made two, but he wolfed half of one down. fortunately, the two were big enough for the three of us.

btw, this recipe works well with any whole fish with mild meat. i've tried it with red snapper, weakfish, and mullet, and all were good.

i guess i should post a link for this in the battle fennel thread.