Barbcue shrimp from Paul Prudhomme's cookbook

BigAl

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]BARBECUED SHRIMP [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]This dish has nothing to do with a barbecue pit or barbecuing. Why is it called "barbecued" shrimp? Beats the hell out of me. If you're really curious, ask someone at Pascal's Manale Restaurant on Napoleon Avenue in New Orleans; it's where the dish was created. Me, I don't care. This dish is so good you can call it whatever you want. Just, um, don't have it every day. You'll know why immediately when you see the first ingredient listed:[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]
  • 2 pounds butter (Yes, you read right. Two pounds. Eight sticks. Don't whine. DO NOT use margarine! Real butter only.)
  • 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning, to taste; OR
    • 2 - 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper and 3 - 4 teaspoons black pepper, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary leaves
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 6 ounces good beer (microbrewery is preferable to mainstream swill)
  • 5 - 10 cloves garlic, finely minced (or as much as you like)
  • 1 medium onion, very finely minced
  • 3 ribs celery, very finely minced
  • 3 - 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 2 teaspoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
  • 4 pounds shrimp, heads and shells on
[This feeds 8-10 people, BTW ... cut it in half if you need to.]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Melt a stick of the butter in a skillet. Saute the garlic, onions, celery, parsley, rosemary and seasoning blend for about 2 - 3 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Melt the rest of the butter. Add the beer (drink the rest of the bottle). Add the sauteed stuff, Worcestershire and lemon juice.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Drown the shrimp in the seasoned butter, using as many baking dishes as you need. Make sure the shrimp are more or less submerged. If they're not ... melt more butter and add to the sauce. (Aah, what the hell ... what's another stick or two when you're already up to these butterfat levels?) Bake in a 350 degree oven until the shrimp turn pink, about 15 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Serve in big bowls. Put in a handful of shrimp and ladle lots of the spicy butter sauce over it. Roll up your sleeves and wear a bib (DO NOT wear nice clothes when eating this!) Serve with plenty of French bread to sop up da sauce![/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Try to avoid going to have your cholesterol and triglycerides taken for a few weeks afterward. Remember that this is a special treat. Don't eat this all the time if you want to live. But hey, every now and again ... LIVE![/FONT]
Pour it over a bowl of rice and get ready to be in Heaven !!!

Attachments

• bbqshrimpup.jpg
    bbqshrimpup.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 804

Cooksie

Site Supporter
:bounce:Yeowwww that's one of our favorites. We always have it with a big hunk of baguette for soaking up those wonderful juices. :respect:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
LOL! I like the way you write, Big Al!

I've made this dish and it's a real treat!

Welcome to NCT!

Lee

FryBoy

Here's another version from a restaurant where many N.O. locals eat:

NEW ORLEANS BARBECUED SHRIMP
Mr. B’s Bistro, New Orleans

14 Large Fresh Shrimp - heads on
6 Tbl. Cold Unsalted Butter - cut into 1 oz. pieces
1½ tsp. Black Pepper - ground
1½ tsp. black Pepper - cracked
1 tsp. Creole Seasoning
3 Tbl. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tsp. Garlic - chopped
Juice of 1 lemon

METHOD
Place the shrimp and all the ingredients, except the lemon juice and 3 ozs. unsalted butter, in a
saute pan large enough so that the shrimp are in one layer. Place the shrimp in a 450 degree oven
for 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp from the oven and begin to saute over moderate heat. Add
the lemon juice and mount the remaining 3 Tbl. of cold butter by swirling the pan and stirring
with a fork. Serve the shrimp in a bowl and pour the sauce over the shrimp. Garnish with hot
French bread for dipping.

Creole Seasoning
1 cup salt
¼ cup granulated garlic
¼ cup ground black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. oregano
¼ cup paprika
1 Tbl. granulated onion

Blend all ingredients in a mixing bowl. Store in a sealed container.

Serves: 2

BigAl

LOL! I like the way you write, Big Al!

I've made this dish and it's a real treat!

Welcome to NCT!

Lee
I can't take credit for the writing even though its the way I talk everyday . I printed it up and posted it ,as it was the recipe I was looking for .

AllenOK

I've made this a few times. Yes, it's fattening. Definitely clear off the table, and lay down some newspaper.

I've gone to the trouble of actually finding raw, head-on, shell-on shrimp to make this with, as the original recipe out of Chef Prudhomme's cookbook states that the shrimp fat in the head makes the dish just "that much better".

I've done this at work, once, following Prudhomme's recipe, with Hawaiian head-on, shell-on shrimp that we had flown in. Of course, I sampled a batch. It was awesome! However, the second person that ordered it apparently didn't READ the menu description, because as soon as she got her plate, she complained to the GM that "ladies shouldn't have to peel their shrimp".

Blues Man

I had the pleasure of eating at Pascal Manale's (pre Katrina) several times. The BBQ Shrimp Sandwich is to die for (eat to many and you just might do that). Great memories............. :chef:

Did Pascal Manale's survive?

AllenOK

Blues Man, VeraBlue will hopefully be able to answer that. She goes down to NOLA frequently. I haven't been there in 13 years.

Blues Man

I travel all over the US on business but I just don't have any customers down in the NO area (darn - some of the best food in the world is located in this one city) I haven't been down since before Katrina................

Blues Man, VeraBlue will hopefully be able to answer that. She goes down to NOLA frequently. I haven't been there in 13 years.