Dinner. Tuesday 3/30

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
The kids are with bio-dad tomorrow, so we are having my birthday dinner tonight. I am making pot roast, with potatoes, carrots, and onions. My lovely wife made her first from scratch cake for me! I'll get some pictures up later.

Newnork1978

It's your birthday and you're cooking dinner...something seems a little off about that. Congrats on the cake, though...can't wait to see pics! :wink:

No idea, yet, on what's for dinner at our house tonight...:chef:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
We had a new to us recipe. Asian Chicken with a special rub, sugar snap peas and julienne d carrots. It turned out pretty good. Sorry no pics.

Newnork1978

Gotta eat in 30 minutes (according to my diet) and I still haven't decided what to have. DH will be late coming home, so he told me to let him fend for himself and make whatever I wanted for myself...the problem is, I dunno what I'm hungry for (and what I can make in 30 minutes). Might get some take-out tacos. Mmm tacos! :smile:

Newnork1978

Mmm tacos! That does sound good.

I've found that I can have tacos in moderation...so as long as I don't pig out on 'em (as I would normally do), they won't effect my blood glucose enough to bother me. Seeing as how I've planted the taco idea in my own head, I think I just might head out and get some. :brows:

I can also get some tacos or burritos for DH to enjoy when he gets home...I would feel a little guilty getting tacos for myself and leaving him to throw something together for himself from the fridge. Heh!
:whistling:

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Wow! DW and DD went all out! The cake was delicious!

nc011414.jpg

nc011415.jpg

nc011416.jpg

SilverSage

Resident Crone
We bought a new gas grill this weekend, and decided to use it tonight. I stopped at a specialty market on the way home to get something to throw on the grill and there starts my story.

Now I've seen a lot of hype about Kobe beef on the food shows, in the food mags, and on the web over the last few years. For those who have been living in a cave, it's supposed to be the ultimate beef. The cattle is fed a special diet, they get MASSAGES (really), maybe even pedicure (j/k)! I don't know all the scoop on them, I just know the meat is highly marbled, supposedly very beefy flavored, and VERY expensive. I think it's one of those things that you can only get in the high-end restaurants in New York and L.A. I've never even seen it in my grocery stores (Publix or Harris Teeter) in Fresh Market of Whole Foods, the top butcher shop around here..... not anywhere.

So I stop at Mazarro's on the way home from work, and they have Kobe beef in the butcher case! Now it's not the rib eye or the filet; it's not even the strip steak. It's sirloin. But it's Kobe. Some places I'd doubt their claim, but I know and trust this place. They really have Kobe sirloin! I've got to take advantage of the opportunity and try it.

New gas grill - - - - Kobe beef! We're in for a treat!

No fancy treatment for this piece of meat - just a little smoked salt (from a spice shop in Sarasota) and fresh ground tellicherry pepper. I figure if I'm working with designer beef, I had better use name brand spices.

Now the new grill has a side burner they called a 'searing burner'. You're supposed to put your food on it for a minute or two before moving it to the main grill to sear and give it the ultimate brown crust. NOT!!!!!!!!!!! It didn't hurt anything, but it was just a side burner. You can see in the pictures that it did a p*** poor job of browning this expensive steak.

Move the meat (at this price it needs a name other than meat), to the preheated grill. And...watch...it...CAREFULLY!!! Poke a finger in; do the palm test; call SousChef to look; aw heck...be sure - use a thermometer. At 120F, pull it off the fire and on to a plate.

Clip some lettuce from the garden and assemble the salad. Why not put some candied walnuts and Gorgonzola cheese on those fresh greens? Maybe some leftover beet slices.

Saute some Crimini mushrooms and degalze the pan with a little red wine and some demi-glace (the real stuff, from my freezer).

Not that it's rested, slice the steak. OOOOOOOOOOoooooooo..................

Was it worth it? You bet! This sirloin was as tender as a filet. The beefiness was unrivaled. With the beef, the mushrooms, the Gorgonzola and the red wine, the umami in this meal was over the top.

Verdict? If you get the chance, try it once. Keep it simple. Don't try to over-gourmet this stuff; it can stand on its own.

Oh yeah. The pics.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 188
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 124

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I'm completely blown away, SS. It looks amazing. I've read about Kobe beef many times and wondered if it was worth it. Thank you so much for all the detail - I'm going to go for it.

Oh, and congrats on your new grill! Got any more pics of the grill? It looks really nice.

PanchoHambre

SS that beef is... beautiful... Yum... my mouth is watering.

for me pork chops and kraut.. done soon. Think they're gonna be good but not as good as that.

buckytom

Grill Master
awesome cake, robsan (your wife forgot the -san :whistle:). kudos to your wife.

ss, beautiful hunk o' cow! i'm surprised your searing burner didn't work, though. mine gets so hot that i only use it for very particular things that need to be burned like red peppers, or flash cooked like squid or shrimp.
from the pic, the burner isn't glowing all that brightly. can it go higher? or does it need more time to get cranking?

dinner for me tonight was chinese takeout since i'm working 4p to 8a.
i had a half of a deep fried chicken smothered in chinese hot sauce (it's mostly just sour, not that hot), veggie fried rice, and a veggie soup.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Gorgeous cake, Rob! Karma to your DW and DD!

SS, Kobe is on my "bucket list". Yours looked wonderful!

Lee

High Cheese

Saucier
Great looking cake Rob! I hope you give props to the bakers! ...and Happy Birthday!

SS, you must like to gamble? lol There's no way I'd test out a new grill with anything other than hotdogs or something like that. lol I had (what was labeled as) Kobe flank steak down in Atlantic City last year but wasn't impressed. I sent the first one back because it was cooked (gulp) ...WELL! lmao The second was a hot medium, still way overcooked IMO. Given your review, I'd try cooking up some Kobe at home.

Last night I made some smothered chicken breasts (no bacon) and a side salad.