Gravlax

Blues Man

I am cooking a valentine's dinner this weekend for my wife and some friends. I have wanted to try Gravlax as an appetizer.

I got several Sockeye salmon fillets.........

100_1091.jpg

Mixed together some kosher salt, sugar, lime zest, orange zest, lime zest, dill and vodka together.

100_1090.jpg

I covered the salmon with the cure and wrapped them tight in plastic wrap.

100_1092.jpg

It's back in the refrigerator with weighted down with some large cans. It should be ready by Saturday night. I'm planning on serving a mustard cream sauce with some thin sliced toasted baguettes.

If you have made gravlax before, how did you like it?

More pics to follow this weekend.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
slice it paper-thin....served with of course bagels & cream cheese is an other option.

it will quickly become an easy favorite that is better than any store bought stuff you have tasted.

your ingredients look great already and the fish isnt finished yet..lol

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Looks great! I've only had it at an IKEA once, and it was awesome! They have Nova Lox at my grocery, and I eat that quite often. It's all yummy!

FryBoy

Best gravlax I've ever eaten were at the old Scandia Restaurant on Sunset Boulevard, unfortunately long gone. One of the best restaurants in the history of L.A., which is saying a lot.

Second best were at a high-end Italian place in Calabasas called Gaetano's, after the owner. Also gone, although Gaetano (a character right out of central casting) now has a place in Henderson, Nevada, I haven't yet tried.

Tied for second is the Grill on the Alley in Beverly Hills. My wife and I will most likely go there after seeing out tax guy later this month, and we ALWAYS order the gravlax.

When we lived in the Valley, my neighbor, a very talented cook, made gravlax, but they fell short of the above -- not "pickled" enough or whatever, just sort of salmon sushi. I think the secret is a heavy dose of vodka to cure the salmon, which he didn't do.

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Blues, how much vodka did you use?

I've never made gravlax, but the beginning of your tutorial looks so good, I'd like to give it a try!

Can't wait to read about the results!

Lee

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Mixed together some kosher salt, sugar, lime zest, orange zest, lime zest, dill and vodka together.

You said lime twice. Was one supposed to be lemon (looks like it in the picture)? Just curious because it sounds delicious and I might want to make some. BTW, thanks for the interesting recipe. :)

Blues Man

Must have been the leftover vodka! Yes it's lemon.

You said lime twice. Was one supposed to be lemon (looks like it in the picture)? Just curious because it sounds delicious and I might want to make some. BTW, thanks for the interesting recipe. :)

Blues Man

I used only 1/3 cup of vodka. I only cured about 3/4 lbs of salmon since I had never tried Gravlax before. It should be ready tomorrow. I will post some pics of the finished dish along with the recipe and process.

So far this has been really easy.

Blues, how much vodka did you use?

I've never made gravlax, but the beginning of your tutorial looks so good, I'd like to give it a try!

Can't wait to read about the results!

Lee

buckytom

Grill Master
what? isn't anyone going to mention how dangerous it is to eat improperly prepared gravlax?

lol. :mrgreen:

blues, i made gravlax for my first time last year. i did some research on it, and i was warned over and over to make sure you deep freeze the salmon for at least 2 days before you defrost it and pack it in the salt and flavorings. unless it's sushi grade salmon, you run the risk of ingesting parasites.
now, i'm the first one to think too much of a fuss is made over bacteria, but parasites are another deal.

anywho, i've made one with vodka, salt, and herbs, one with just salt and a ton o' dill.

i thought the vodka one was a bit mushy, and i didn't like the raw alcohol flavour, but that's just me. i think many people would like that taste.

the one with just salt and dill was good, but boy was it salty. i think i left it in the fridge too long, around 4 days, before i washed off the salt.

i sure hope you put it in a deep plate or dish, 'cause, there's gonna be a lot of nasty, salty liquid leaking out.

Blues Man

Your right to warn on the dangers. With so little vodka in the recipe, finishing up the rest of the bottle was pretty dangerous.

You are correct on freezing the salmon. I buy whole wild Sockeye salmon fillets that come vacuum packed and flash frozen. I keep them in the deep freeze until I'm ready to use them.

I wrapped it plastic and placed it in a baking dish with another dish that nest on top. Got it weighted down really good which should help prevent it from getting mushy.

1st time making this so I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.

I can see the reaction now if I gave my wife and freinds some fish parasites :puke1: That would go over really well. Happy Valentines Day!

what? isn't anyone going to mention how dangerous it is to eat improperly prepared gravlax?

lol. :mrgreen:

blues, i made gravlax for my first time last year. i did some research on it, and i was warned over and over to make sure you deep freeze the salmon for at least 2 days before you defrost it and pack it in the salt and flavorings. unless it's sushi grade salmon, you run the risk of ingesting parasites.
now, i'm the first one to think too much of a fuss is made over bacteria, but parasites are another deal.

anywho, i've made one with vodka, salt, and herbs, one with just salt and a ton o' dill.

i thought the vodka one was a bit mushy, and i didn't like the raw alcohol flavour, but that's just me. i think many people would like that taste.

the one with just salt and dill was good, but boy was it salty. i think i left it in the fridge too long, around 4 days, before i washed off the salt.

i sure hope you put it in a deep plate or dish, 'cause, there's gonna be a lot of nasty, salty liquid leaking out.