Blues Man’s Cajun / Asian Shrimp

Blues Man

Here is one of my newest shrimp recipes that I have been experimenting with over the past several weeks. It is Cajun seasoned dish paired with a spicy Asian sauce. You can serve this as either an appetizer or as a main course. Much of it can be prepared in advance so it makes a great entertainment choice.

4 tablespoons crushed garlic
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups tomato sauce
1 cup water
3 tablespoons soy sauce
½ cup sugar
4 tablespoons Asian chili garlic sauce

Heat vegetable oil in a large sauce pan and add garlic. Add tomato sauce before garlic burns. Add the water, soy sauce, sugar and chili garlic sauce and stir. Simmer 6-7 minutes until sauce thickens. Allow to cool and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Peel the raw shrimp (leave the shell on the tails). Brine the shrimp in ½ cup kosher salt, ½ cup sugar and 3 tablespoons of Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning for 3-4 hours.

100_0192.jpg

Rinse well and skewer the shrimp. Sprinkle generously with granulated garlic and Tony Chachere’s Creole seasoning. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to grill.

100_0326.jpg

Take the peel of one orange. Use a thin blade knife and remove as much of the white rind as possible. Chop the peel into thin small strips.

100_0330.jpg

100_0333.jpg

Heat the grill (I use lump charcoal) as hot as you can. Place a cast iron skillet on the grill and add a small amount of vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the orange peel. Stir continuously so it doesn’t burn.

100_0341.jpg

Add the sauce and stir occasionally until it is thick.

100_0343.jpg

When the sauce thickens, add the shrimp to the grill. Quickly sear on both sides.

100_0350.jpg

Baste the shrimp with the sauce as they grill. Add a final coating of sauce right before you take them off the grill.

100_0353.jpg

Remove from the skewers and serve. (if serving as a main dish – add cooked white rice to the skillet and incorporate the remaining sauce with the rice)

100_0359.jpg

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Great pics, Blues!

I imagine that the shrimp have quite a kick to them, with all that Tony's!

Lee

Blues Man

Between the Tony's and the chili garlic sauce it packs a good punch. It was almost a little much for the wife and kids.
Great pics, Blues!

I imagine that the shrimp have quite a kick to them, with all that Tony's!

Lee