2 tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
2 tbsp. snipped fresh basil or 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 c. hot cooked noodles
2 tbsp. finely shredded Parmesan cheese

In a 3 1/2-4-or 5-quart crockpot place
mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables. In a
bowl combine broth, tomato paste, wine, tapioca, dried basil (if using), sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour over all.

Cover; cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. If using, stir in fresh basil. To serve, spoon chicken, mushroom mixture, and sauce over hot cooked noodles Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Barb

homecook

Sounds tasty!! Have you made this before? Does the tapioca just hicken it?

Yes, I've made it quite a few times...yes, the tapioca is used to thicken....but I sometimes forget to add and don't always have it on hand. It's no big deal, because I'll add a slurry of cornstarch and chicken broth after I take out the chicken if I want it thicker. Sometimes I just serve as is.

Barb

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
2 1/2 to 3 lbs. chicken pieces, skinned
3 c. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c. chicken broth
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1/4 c. dry red wine (such as Merlot)
2 tbsp. quick-cooking tapioca
2 tbsp. snipped fresh basil or 1 1/2 tsp. dried basil, crushed
2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 c. hot cooked noodles
2 tbsp. finely shredded Parmesan cheese

In a 3 1/2-4-or 5-quart crockpot place
mushrooms, onion, and garlic. Place chicken pieces on top of the vegetables. In a
bowl combine broth, tomato paste, wine, tapioca, dried basil (if using), sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour over all.

Cover; cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. If using, stir in fresh basil. To serve, spoon chicken, mushroom mixture, and sauce over hot cooked noodles Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Barb

This sounds very much like coq au vin. Yummy!

UnConundrum

Gold Site Supporter
I wonder if tapioca flour would be better than regular tapioca. Not sure I'd like the texture of the "pearls" in this....

homecook

I never really noticed the "pearls". They sort of dissolve. I do make the slurry with cornstarch-chicken broth more often than not. I've never used tapioca flour.

Barb