Sardinian Sausage Ragu (Milk St.)

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This was easy and WONDERFUL! I'm not sure what made it so delicious - I guess it was just the combination of everything together that worked.

Loved it!

Lee

Sardinian Sausage Ragu – (Milk St.)

Ingredients
• 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 4medium garlic cloves, chopped
• 1/2 cup dry white wine
• 1/4teaspoon saffron (optional)
• 14 1/2 ounce can tomato puree (1 1/2 cups)
• 1pound sweet or hot Italian sausage, casings removed, broken into 1/2-inch or smaller pieces
• Kosher salt (for pasta water)
• 1pound orecchiette pasta (or other pasta)
• 1ounce pecorino Romano cheese, finely grated ( 1/2 cup), plus more to serve
• 1/2 cup roughly chopped basil, plus more to serve

Heat oil and saute garlic for a few minutes. Add wine and saffron and cook down until reduced by half, about 6 minutes. Add tomato puree and sausage pieces, and 1 ½ teas. salt; simmer on low, covered, for about 10 minutes, until sausage is cooked.

Meanwhile, cook pasta (I used small shells). Reserve ½ cup pasta water and drain.

To the sauce, add cheese (I used parm) and chopped basil (I only used 1 T.) Add a tablespoon or two of the reserved pasta water until you get the desired consistency.

The Milk St. recipe said to toss the pasta and sauce together, but I prefer to top the pasta with the sauce.

Attachments

• Sardinian Sausage  Ragu.JPG
    Sardinian Sausage Ragu.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
nice. methinks the pec. cheese and sausage are what make it stand out.
did the saffron stand up to it? saff. is so delicate one almost has to design the dish around it....

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
did the saffron stand up to it? saff. is so delicate one almost has to design the dish around it....

No, I don't think so, Tom. But, as I said, not one thing stood out - the combination was perfect.

Lee