Getting peeved at the food store?

Derek

Banned
I'm getting so pissed off at the food store for not having fresh veggies and & fruits.

For 3 weeks in a row I've been buying veggies that's been either sitting on the floor "stand" for ages or over ripe veggies and fruit.​

I can't wait for the farmers market, Then I will be able to go buy fresh fruit & veggies woot.​

who here is getting mad at the supermarkets?​

Ok discuss.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We get pretty good produce here in Lexington at the places I shop. Kroger's has always had good looking vegetables/fruits as has Miejer's and Whole Foods. My problem is some times finding it hard to get fresh sea food here.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
The problem here is all the tourists and snow birds crowding the store, blocking the aisles, not knowing where to find anything (which I understand) and just generally being a pain in the ass. Two more weeks and they'll be gone until November. They drive grocery carts the way they drive their cars - BADLY.

Buzz - wondering if I woke up on the wrong side of the bed :bonk:

bowlingshirt

Generally, a poor produce section in a store is a bad sign, and not somewhere I would go shopping. If you have other options, you need to explore them.

Lefty

Yank
Living in the great north east I am used to having less selections on fruits and veggies throughout the winter. With spring here it should get much better. My farmer's markets is crazy, the prices the set are outrageous.

AllenOK

Another thing to consider, is that many products that oridnarily have a long shelf life, are finally beginning to expire. Onions, apples, hard squash like butternut, ect., are kept in "cold storage" at food warehouses. These supplies are starting to run low, and get old. Here soon, new harvest will start coming into the market.

You also have to take into effect, the growing seasons in other countries. If those countries are south of the equator, they are now entering Fall.

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Living in the great north east I am used to having less selections on fruits and veggies throughout the winter. With spring here it should get much better. My farmer's markets is crazy, the prices the set are outrageous.

I go to two farmers' markets in the same town. The Saturday market is located outside a very high end development. The prices are good compared to the supermarkets. The Wednesday market is in a poor section of town and the prices are quite a bit lower and the vendors are the same. Go figure. C'mon Wednesday. :yum:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It's time for the roadside fruit and vegetable stands to start opening up. Once they do, I'll buy most of my produce there.

I remember when I was a kid, we used to buy milk and eggs right off the farm. On the porch of the house were two refrigerators...one with milk in glass jugs and one with eggs. Each had a cigar box where you would leave the money to pay for whatever you got and a rack to leave the empty glass milk jugs. If you didn't have a jug to leave, you left a deposit. People were honest back then. It sure was a different time...I miss that.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
The problem here is all the tourists and snow birds crowding the store, blocking the aisles, not knowing where to find anything (which I understand) and just generally being a pain in the ass. Two more weeks and they'll be gone until November. They drive grocery carts the way they drive their cars - BADLY.

No, Buzz you are exactly right! I noticed the same thing. Some of those little old ladies with huge pocketbooks and sharp elbows can drive you crazy when you are looking and trying to make a selection by the cheeses, breads, fruits, meats, etc. They get in your way and won't move. They also take up and entire aisle when they stop to chat with one of their friends. It can be maddening. Usually, you can identify them from what part of the country they are from.:whistling:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Usually, you can identify them from what part of the country they are from.:whistling:

So true but no geographical comment. :blush: They're everywhere down here - moved in from the East coast of FL since hurricane Andrew scared them out.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Another thing to consider, is that many products that oridnarily have a long shelf life, are finally beginning to expire. Onions, apples, hard squash like butternut, ect., are kept in "cold storage" at food warehouses. These supplies are starting to run low, and get old. Here soon, new harvest will start coming into the market.

You also have to take into effect, the growing seasons in other countries. If those countries are south of the equator, they are now entering Fall.

agree with Allen here... i use to work at a local produce supplier, we would get all that Allen mentioned in the fall and store them until supply for them was needed.Alot of items were still being sold until March & April.

Derek

Banned
We get pretty good produce here in Lexington at the places I shop. Kroger's has always had good looking vegetables/fruits as has Miejer's and Whole Foods. My problem is some times finding it hard to get fresh sea food here.
I agree, It's very easy for the beef, lamb and other animals I find at the store.

Haha, You discribed our store to a T and our Michigan driving area.

Generally, a poor produce section in a store is a bad sign, and not somewhere I would go shopping. If you have other options, you need to explore them.
What if we onlyhave that store until the spring time?

That's one thing I'm afraid of, But you will know exactly what your getting though!

Yup, I know all about this, This is our store sucks.

I go to two farmers' markets in the same town. The Saturday market is located outside a very high end development. The prices are good compared to the supermarkets. The Wednesday market is in a poor section of town and the prices are quite a bit lower and the vendors are the same. Go figure. C'mon Wednesday. :yum:
So do I want to buy all my normal food at the store, but whent he farmers market comes into to town, Go and spend all my money on good veggies like I plan on doing?

It's time for the roadside fruit and vegetable stands to start opening up. Once they do, I'll buy most of my produce there.

I remember when I was a kid, we used to buy milk and eggs right off the farm. On the porch of the house were two refrigerators...one with milk in glass jugs and one with eggs. Each had a cigar box where you would leave the money to pay for whatever you got and a rack to leave the empty glass milk jugs. If you didn't have a jug to leave, you left a deposit. People were honest back then. It sure was a different time...I miss that.
Ah the simpler times indeed, But now you can't do that any more!

No, Buzz you are exactly right! I noticed the same thing. Some of those little old ladies with huge pocketbooks and sharp elbows can drive you crazy when you are looking and trying to make a selection by the cheeses, breads, fruits, meats, etc. They get in your way and won't move. They also take up and entire aisle when they stop to chat with one of their friends. It can be maddening. Usually, you can identify them from what part of the country they are from.:whistling:

So true but no geographical comment. :blush: They're everywhere down here - moved in from the East coast of FL since hurricane Andrew scared them out.
PieSue, Buzz I see the same thing here at Miejers

Sass Muffin

Coffee Queen ☕
Gold Site Supporter
I'm getting so pissed off at the food store for not having fresh veggies and & fruits.

For 3 weeks in a row I've been buying veggies that's been either sitting on the floor "stand" for ages or over ripe veggies and fruit.​

I can't wait for the farmers market, Then I will be able to go buy fresh fruit & veggies woot.​

who here is getting mad at the supermarkets?​

Ok discuss.

I've never had much of a problem finding good fruit and veg around here.
Now our local supermarket isn't the place to go for a wider variety, for that I have to travel about 12 miles to shop at Meijer or the Walmart Supercenter.
Both places have everything you could imagine, and it's fresh.

FryBoy

It pays to be picky. I take the bunches of asparagus apart and select the spears I want, I cut the rubber bands off the bunches of broccoli and buy the two spears I need rather than the three that were bundled together, and I examine each produce item carefully before putting it in the bag.

What ticks me off are the decisions by management NOT to carry certain things, forcing me to go to other stores for something like a jar of Vaseline (happened last week). My regular store has even stopped carrying Dry Sherry, which I consider to be a staple, even though they now have one and a half full aisles devoted to wine.

I also dislike the practice of prepackaging meats and then refusing to break them up because they have some brand name on them (e.g., Foster Farms Chicken). I don't need three or six breast halves, I want two or four, and why is one always much bigger or smaller than the others? Lopsided chickens?

OTOH, the prices are good as the markets in this area are very competitive, the store is clean, the employees are friendly, and what they do carry is generally pretty good.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

I'm with Joe, Kroegers has a surprising array of fresh fruits and veggies. They are actually better than Wal-Mart and Publix in most cases. Get a Kroeger card, and you can sometimes make out like a bandit.

But I can’t wait for the roadside sands to open up! There are a few farms around here, and they always set up stands. Can’t wait to get “that day fresh” veggies again!

Derek

Banned
I've never had much of a problem finding good fruit and veg around here.
Now our local supermarket isn't the place to go for a wider variety, for that I have to travel about 12 miles to shop at Meijer or the Walmart Supercenter.
Both places have everything you could imagine, and it's fresh.

It pays to be picky. I take the bunches of asparagus apart and select the spears I want, I cut the rubber bands off the bunches of broccoli and buy the two spears I need rather than the three that were bundled together, and I examine each produce item carefully before putting it in the bag.

What ticks me off are the decisions by management NOT to carry certain things, forcing me to go to other stores for something like a jar of Vaseline (happened last week). My regular store has even stopped carrying Dry Sherry, which I consider to be a staple, even though they now have one and a half full aisles devoted to wine.

I also dislike the practice of prepackaging meats and then refusing to break them up because they have some brand name on them (e.g., Foster Farms Chicken). I don't need three or six breast halves, I want two or four, and why is one always much bigger or smaller than the others? Lopsided chickens?

OTOH, the prices are good as the markets in this area are very competitive, the store is clean, the employees are friendly, and what they do carry is generally pretty good.
I'm getting tomatoes that look good on the outside, but when you slice & dice them they're very green and some times brown on the inside.

That's why I'm going to wait until spring and my chile's are the same way so I'm waiting for my pepper pods to come in which should be around July.

homecook

Wow, I thought I was the only one that did that. I figure since I'm paying for it I want what I want, not what they want me to buy!

FryBoy

Damn right! It's our money, and we do have choices, or at least around here we do as there are several markets within 5 miles.

I don't hesitate to ask the produce guys for better stuff, and surprisingly they often have something better in the back.

I've also gone to get the manager on several occasions when I've found something like mold, dried-out or rotten items, and past-date stuff (usually packaged salad greens or those outrageously expensive little plastic packages of supposedly fresh herbs). They genuinely seem to appreciate it, and maybe it's done some good -- lately I've notice more employees assigned to the produce section and have seen fewer problems with the fruit and veggies.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I have been rather fortunate in that I can find places where I can buy in any quantity that I want--Barb, the Miles Farmers' Market is like that. When it comes to meats, local butchers will do that as well. Further, a Heinen's butcher will do that, too--even when it comes to bacon.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I'm with Joe, Kroegers has a surprising array of fresh fruits and veggies. They are actually better than Wal-Mart and Publix in most cases. Get a Kroeger card, and you can sometimes make out like a bandit.

But I can’t wait for the roadside sands to open up! There are a few farms around here, and they always set up stands. Can’t wait to get “that day fresh” veggies again!

I have a WalMart about a half of a block from me and have never bought vegetables or meats there. I will buy canned goods and condiments and have order live lobster through them but that is about it. I find all of their meats are pumped with salt water and I've never been impressed with their produce.

The Miejer's here gets their produce from local growers with it being super fresh but what is in season. Kroger's has always been good for produce and meats. Whole Foods here is really more expensive than Kroger's but everything is organic. I also can get fresh fish at Whole Foods to but it is very expensive.

We have a farmer's market here too and I get my beef and pork from one of the vendors usually in half rough butchered. Just great stuff but not year around.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Joe, I agree with you when it comes to Sam's Club and Walmart. I refuse to buy meat there. I have bought some good fruit at Sam's club--although rarely do I need such large quantities unless I am baking a lot.

homecook

I have been rather fortunate in that I can find places where I can buy in any quantity that I want--Barb, the Miles Farmers' Market is like that. When it comes to meats, local butchers will do that as well. Further, a Heinen's butcher will do that, too--even when it comes to bacon.

For meats I go to our local family owned grocer....I can get want I want from them. I also go to a local butcheress (is that a word?) it's two women that have run their own butcher shop. I don't have problems with the meats.

As for the produce it's just that I don't like them pre-picking for me. I'd like to pick my own of whatever. We've got alot of Farmers Markets here come summer but I'll have my own garden going by then and won't have to worry about it.

I'm not crazy about Heinen's......I don't want to have to drive any distance just to buy produce.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
As a kid growing up in Miami most of the area was farming at that time. We would go out and get bushels of sweet corn, tomatoes, squash, green beans etc. They also grow strawberries there which I got so tired of eating. A couple of hours north and you are in the heart of the Citrus area with several types of oranges, grapefruit, lemons, limes. Our back yard we grew key limes, avocados, mangoes as well as oranges and tangerines. Most of our hedges were Florida cherries which take a bit to get used to eating them.

Derek

Banned
As for the produce it's just that I don't like them pre-picking for me. I'd like to pick my own of whatever. We've got alot of Farmers Markets here come summer but I'll have my own garden going by then and won't have to worry about it.
I'm with you on this matter, And with college coming in a month "June", I will be able to barter other college students for produce and what not.

Probably get a student discount even.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
A lot of colleges have agriculture departments that student can get produce from. I don't know what area you are in but here the UK has a large one that also shows up at the farmer market when going.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I have a WalMart about a half of a block from me and have never bought vegetables or meats there. I will buy canned goods and condiments and have order live lobster through them but that is about it. I find all of their meats are pumped with salt water and I've never been impressed with their produce.

The Miejer's here gets their produce from local growers with it being super fresh but what is in season. Kroger's has always been good for produce and meats. Whole Foods here is really more expensive than Kroger's but everything is organic. I also can get fresh fish at Whole Foods to but it is very expensive.

We have a farmer's market here too and I get my beef and pork from one of the vendors usually in half rough butchered. Just great stuff but not year around.

I’m rather impressed with Kroeger’s meat selection myself. Publix also has great meat, but are a little pricey compared to Kroeger. I don’t have a Miejer or Whole Foods here. I’ve heard so much abut Whole Foods that I’d really like to try it.

A new Publix opened a few miles from the house that we have been using primarily here lately. They are really great about doing special cuts in the butcher department if you ask them.

Derek

Banned
A lot of colleges have agriculture departments that student can get produce from. I don't know what area you are in but here the UK has a large one that also shows up at the farmer market when going.
We have one here in Michigan as well, I'll have to get the directions to where it is, and go from there.

I’m rather impressed with Kroeger’s meat selection myself. Publix also has great meat, but are a little pricey compared to Kroeger. I don’t have a Miejer or Whole Foods here. I’ve heard so much abut Whole Foods that I’d really like to try it.

A new Publix opened a few miles from the house that we have been using primarily here lately. They are really great about doing special cuts in the butcher department if you ask them.
You wouldn't want a Miejers Let me tell you, Miejers here SUCK, It sucks really really bad the food is over priced and the deals suck, I mean they say your getting half off but they mark up a lot of the stuff so they can mark it down to the normal price.

I hope you understood what I mean by the mark up and down game!​

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
For meats I go to our local family owned grocer....I can get want I want from them. I also go to a local butcheress (is that a word?) it's two women that have run their own butcher shop. I don't have problems with the meats.

I'm not crazy about Heinen's......I don't want to have to drive any distance just to buy produce.

I think Barb & Patty are BUTCHerettes, if you get my drift.:yum: I like going there because they will cut anything in the meat case for a two person meal, unlike Giant Eagle. Their sausages are excellent, rivaling the ethnic meat shops like Radells and Ozmans. As far as Heinens, their stuff is nice, but the prices are a bit high. FYI, B&P's is past Heinens on Mentor Ave. (Local info only)

homecook

I think Barb & Patty are BUTCHerettes, if you get my drift.:yum: I like going there because they will cut anything in the meat case for a two person meal, unlike Giant Eagle. Their sausages are excellent, rivaling the ethnic meat shops like Radells and Ozmans. As far as Heinens, their stuff is nice, but the prices are a bit high. FYI, B&P's is past Heinens on Mentor Ave. (Local info only)

You are so bad!!!:lol:
I've never tried their sausages......I usually go to Rudy's in Willowick because I've gone there for years. I'll have to give B&P's a try!

joec

Gold Site Supporter
We have two Miejer's here though I'm only visited the one closest to me. I never heard of them until I came to Kentucky as don't exist in other states I've lived in through the years.

The one I go to is excellent though I don't buy a lot of meats from them unless I get it directly from the butcher shop at the meat counter. They do have a full time butcher which is unusual in this day and age. I actually rarely buy beef and pork except from a local grower that I know. I will occasionally buy a cut though if it is a good looking piece of meat though.