Rice Pudding Question

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
I've never made rice pudding but it's one of hubby's favorites. Are there any recipes out there that DONT HAVE RAISINS??? Not a fan. Was thinking of using toasted coconut instead...?

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Here is my grandmother's rice pudding.

My Grandmother's Rice Pudding

Ingredients:
1 cups long grain white rice
1/2 teaspoon of Kosher salt
4 cups of Half and Half
1 cup of white raisins (soaked in 2 tbs of dark rum for adults or warm water for kids)
1/2 cup of sugar
1 whole egg beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons of Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
4 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon of Creme of Tatar
4 tablespoons of powdered sugar

Direction:
Cook the rice in salted 2 cups of half & half until rice is done.
Once rice is done add balance of Half & Half, 1/2 cup of sugar, beaten egg, vanilla extract and cinnamon mix and allow to simmer until it thicken. Add raisins to thickened rice with juice. Stir and put into a bowl.
Beat egg whites, creme of tater until you get soft peaks. Add the powder sugar 1 tablespoon at a time and beat still stiff meringue forms. Now add the meringue to the rice mixture and fold gently. Now fill glasses or other serving bowls and refrigerate till read to eat. If you wish you can sprinkle some cinnamon on top as well as a little whipped creme just before serving.

You can leave the raisins out not a problem.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Rice pudding with bananas? Oh, RM, would you mind sharing the recipe?

GotGarlic

I've never made rice pudding but it's one of hubby's favorites. Are there any recipes out there that DONT HAVE RAISINS??? Not a fan. Was thinking of using toasted coconut instead...?

You could just leave them out, or replace them with a dried fruit you like - cherries, currants, apples, bananas or apricots.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My grandmother used to just leave them out if she couldn't find them which was about 50% of the time.