to microwave or not to microwave?

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Okay, I can see why someone might see what happens when you nuke a grape or a jawbreaker, but BT, why would you put a grease pencil in there????? Brother!

And, as far as Fishers Mom and aphrodisiacs are concerned .... well, I'm thinking the WORLD is her "oyster"! ;-)

Luvs, get a microwave, for heaven's sakes. You'll never regret it.

Lee

Bilby

I not only use mine to reheat and defrost and for all those frozen convenience foods but I cook fish, veges, eggs, nachos, rice dishes, potato dishes, mock lasagne, and in the past I have cooked jam and cakes but I don't do them very often in any format. Also excellent for cooking popcorn and prawn crackers without fat.

Actually lots of dishes require less fat if you cook in the microwave and truly excellent for steaming things. So you can cook healthier in a microwave than a normal oven/stove.

And if you are short on space, well you can do so much in so little space.

And the washing up is so much less too. I usually am cooking for one so I can eat from the same dish that it is cooked in. You feel like a bogan if you eat from the fry pan!!!

buckytom

Grill Master
Okay, I can see why someone might see what happens when you nuke a grape or a jawbreaker, but BT, why would you put a grease pencil in there????? Brother!

i was wrapping up a burger and the kid next to me dropped his grease pencil in as i folded it up.

30 seconds later it was a little black rocket inside the nuker. :shock:

ok, so, if you're not squirmish about tearing the legs off a live lobster (actually, you should "off" the monster with a knife through the head, or a minute par boil/steam) here's the way to go to get out that succulent meat using a nuker:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soW7e5X3gZ4[/ame]

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
hmmmm, prawn crackers & lobster. that is 1 great thing- nuking crab.

FryBoy

Another unmatchable use for the microwave: softening ice cream. Stick a rock-hard ½ gallon (or whatever they hold these days) in the microwave for 20 to 30 seconds and it's at perfect scooping and serving temperature.

Wart

Banned
At first thought I use the Nuke for only reheat and defrosting.

I don't remember the last time I actually baked a potato. And I've taken to pre-cooking potatoes I'm going to fry, it greatly cuts down on the pan time.

Use to do allot of popcorn in the Nuke.

I use the Nuke for warming fluids used in bread making. Advantage is the 'bowl' warms with the fluid so I don't have to overheat the fluid(s) on the range to compensate for warming the 'yeast proofing' bowl, or the large glass measuring 'cup' for disolving 'sugars', and so on.

Defrosting is a bit tricky. Follow the microwave directions and you'll more than likely par cook the food. Our present unit has a auto-defrost based on weight. If I set the machine for the items actual weight its coming out of there cooked. I set the Nuke for 1/3 to 1/2 the items weight for the first cycle and check. Then I may run again at the same or lesser weight, or cover with a towel at room temp, or put it in the fridge, or, or,, whatever.

Trick is you have to let the heat of the hot spots drift into the cold spots.

Now excuse me, I have to heat up some coffee.