Smoking Turkeys.....almost time

Nica

I pulled the smoker out of the shed today and gave it a good wash job in preparation for smoking several turkeys and chickens.

It's been a Thanksgiving tradition for me, and I've been doing it for several years now, to smoke several turkeys and chickens right before the holidays. Last year I smoked 10 turkeys and 6 chickens. What we don't plan to freeze we give to our kids and a couple neighbors, and donate to our local Hospice House and our Church.

It looks like this year I'm going to max it out......14 turkeys and as many chickens as I can stuff in there.

I'll keep the pictures coming as we get smokin!

Attachments

• Smokin Smoker! (450 x 338).jpg
    Smokin Smoker! (450 x 338).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 77

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I don't eat turkey or chickens but did smoke a turkey last year for some friend visiting on Thanksgiving day. I assume it turned out well as they didn't leave much other than the bones in a single sitting. It was about a 12 pounder and the two guests made short order of it with raves.

Nica

You must have done a fantastic job if they ate the whole thing at one setting. My wife and I like smoked turkey a lot better than one cooked in the oven. I love that smoke taste.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
They seemed to also though I wouldn't know since I've not eaten any bird meat in over 30 years.

RNE228

I pulled the smoker out of the shed today and gave it a good wash job in preparation for smoking several turkeys and chickens.

This will sound kinda funny, but toss some corn-dogs in there while you're smoking. Was at a gun show, and this guy had tri-tip smoking. He had some generic corndogs from Costco that he tossed in there. They were great!

re - the chickens. I like to toss some chicken breasts in the smoker( I have a small electric one). I crack fresh black pepper over them, and drench with lemon juice. Squeeze lemon over them a couple times as they smoke(on apple wood). Yummy :tiphat:

Doc

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Sure sounds good Nica. I've never had smoked turkey. I'll have to try that sometime.

keep the pics coming! :D :thumb:

Nica

I'll see if I can figure out a way to send you some. Mayby dry ice and USPS over night. Your not that far from here, but it's all relative.
PM me.