ISO Approximate smoking time

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I want to smoke about a 3# briket this weekend. I know the thermometer is the absolute judge and I know two pieces of meat approximately the same size can take different amounts of time. I am just looking for an approximation, so I know when to start,

chowhound

When do you want to eat them?
I would put them on no later than 6:30 AM, but that's me. I would also realize they might not be done til 10 PM. That is, if you don't cheat and take them of the smoker to finish.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

chowhound

Then I would start it the night before. I would rather have it finish early and keep it warm than not have it done at all. That's me though. I'm sure you could start it on the pit, then wrap it in foil and transfer to to an oven to finish. I've always done things start to finish on my Q.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Roughly, 1.5 hours per pound is a good rule of thumb. But as you said and know, trust the thermometer as the aboslute word.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Love 2 Q - They will be flat brikets, when I buy them, therefor fat layer is negotiable,what is best?

Keltin - That is the number that I was looking for. I have this nifty new Thermopen that is my new best friend.

I was sitting around thinking last night, always dangerous, and I was thinking about the reverse sear idea that some use on steaks, Then I thought about Bam's primer on smoking and Chow's advice on finishing on the grill. I was wondering about starting on the grill,or oven getting the meat "warm" then transferring to the smoker. The advantage would be that you would then be outdoors enjoying your company and since I have an outdoor stove, the meal prep could all take place outdors. Definately something to try at a time when you do not have company, but, a thought. Any comments?

chowhound

Since meat picks up the smoke as it warms up (up to 140F I read), I would do the opposite, start in the smoker and transfer to the grill.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
As Chow said, definitely start with the smoker. The 1.5 hours per pound is for a heat of 225. If you don't have a fat cap, you can lay bacon on top of the brisket to bard (add fat to) the meat.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
what color pen did you get Andy?..lol

the problem with starting it in the oven IMHO is that you will not get a great smoke ring or smoke flavor...finishing in the oven is ok as well as using the texas crutch(tinfoil)...

if you want a "beefier" flavor, try searing(on a charcoal grill) it first on both sides...If doing a flat, be sure to foil it after a couple hours. In fact, set it in HD foil to keep all it's juices and fat as it cooks, flip it after an hour, then again after another hour, then close it up. It will reach a plateau, they say 190* for slicing, and 200* for pulling or shredding, but you can still slice a 200* flat. You just have to slice it thicker

Love 2 Q - They will be flat brikets, when I buy them, therefor fat layer is negotiable,what is best?

Keltin - That is the number that I was looking for. I have this nifty new Thermopen that is my new best friend.

I was sitting around thinking last night, always dangerous, and I was thinking about the reverse sear idea that some use on steaks, Then I thought about Bam's primer on smoking and Chow's advice on finishing on the grill. I was wondering about starting on the grill,or oven getting the meat "warm" then transferring to the smoker. The advantage would be that you would then be outdoors enjoying your company and since I have an outdoor stove, the meal prep could all take place outdors. Definately something to try at a time when you do not have company, but, a thought. Any comments?

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Hi Bam - The thermopen is much bigger than I thought that it would be. It has big numbers though. That will be good as time goes o (I get older). We have a cooking stoe that I found (Chef Central), They had pens in stock. They also have all the popular Japanese knives in stock. Fun to visit, leave your wallet at home.

I was going to do tis Saturday and take all day, but the wife decided to include the family and move it to Monday, now I'm under the gun. Last time smoking, my ribs were great, smoke ring tender good taste, my chicken was dry. I have read a lot and thought a lot. I'm out for a win this time.

I have to think about the sear on charcoal first. Ihad never considered that. So much to learn, so much smiked meat to eat as I learn. LOL.

Thank You all. I am looking forany suggestions till I do the deed and I will post a followup.

Andy

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
OK - Here's the followup. remember the target time was 1:30 PM dinner.

Brisket - I got a 3.7# first cut brisket. I started out with Bam's general purpose rub. I took some of the "BANG" out due to the taste of some of the guests. I rubbed it down let it set about an hour while I started the smoker. I got it in the smoker about 7:00 AM. I was not able to maintain a stable temp, hard as I tried. The smoker seems to go from 200 to 250 in a heartbeat and back down, just as quick. I have a lot of learning to do there. I did move the meat around inside the smoker and monitor the temperature. By 12:00 I had 169 degrees. It appeared to be pretty good a tthat point, but, I remembered Bam's post where he said 190 for slicing. I foil wrapped and off to the charcoal grill to pick up a few degrees. At 1:00 I had 191 degrees. Off to keep warm.

Chicken - I got a whole chicken in case someone did not like beef brisket. After some pondering, I decided to Beer Can it. I took the basis of Bam's rub (Salt, Brown Sugar, garlik and Paprike (Not smoked this time) and added Italian spices. I rubbed the whole bird down with butter over the skin and under the skin on the breasts. I then put on the rub over and under skin. WHOOPS - Sorry Dear , in went the beer can and on the grill about 12:00. By 1:15, I had a beautiful chicken ready to go.

Side sishes - German potato salad (Coulden't resist getting some bacon in there somewhere). and corn on the cobb.

!:30 Comes and It's all ready to eat. I was very pleased with having everything ready at the same time. Life is not always kind. the guests did not show till 2:30 and it was closer to 2:45 when we got to the table.

The brisket was a bit dry after keeping warm in a 170 degree oven. When I opened it up I had llost a cup or better of liquid from the brisket. Great smoke ring. the chicken was just fine. Everyone ate and complimented lots. All in all a good day.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I am now left with a few things to work on:

How to hole a temp better.

I did not remember Bam saying to smoke fot tow hours and then wrap, I still think my brisket was great till it waited in the warmer for folks to show.

I wonder about converting the smoker to gas.

Thank you again

Andy