Smoking on a Grill

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
alot of people do not have access to a smoker or are unsure of how to smoke foods on a grill.(that was me for the longest time.) i thought i would post some pics,video and ways to accomplish that flavor without spending a whole bunch of money on a smoker

smoking on a charcoal grill

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDpgq8D6v_0[/ame]

smoking on a gas grill

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1cLpdAwdn4[/ame]

To build a smoke pouch, Spread wet wood chips on a large piece of aluminum foil. Place 1 cup (250ml) of dry wood chips on top. Mix them together. Close the foil around the chips to make a sealed foil package. Use a fork to puncture holes in the top and bottom of the foil pack to allow the smoke to flow through and infuse the meat.

pearrecipe8.jpg

Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling. Preheat the barbecue to 220*F/110*C. Place the smoke pouch directly over the heat source. Close the lid and wait for smoke.

pearrecipe9.jpg

foil-pouch4.jpg

GrillinFool

I have lined up a gas grill through a buddy of mine to do a demonstration similar to this for my blog. Good info here...

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
i have a cheapo grill without a lid.

use your old gas grill..pile charcoal on one side...cook on the other..works great...

these were cooked on a gas grill/charcoal grill using indirect heat

stuffed chicken breast

3 fatty's

u can buy a cheap charcoal grill called a uniflame from walmart.. they are $40...they are basically a weber knock off and perform quite well... me personally i would be checking out craigslist in your area...i have seen it quite often people finding good webers for $20 or less

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
use your old gas grill..pile charcoal on one side...cook on the other..works great...

these were cooked on a gas grill/charcoal grill using indirect heat

stuffed chicken breast

3 fatty's

u can buy a cheap charcoal grill called a uniflame from walmart.. they are $40...they are basically a weber knock off and perform quite well... me personally i would be checking out craigslist in your area...i have seen it quite often people finding good webers for $20 or less
when we had work done in the yard and the deck built it got tossed by the workmen so no more grill!! it was all rotted, rusted, falling apart and in bad condition after 25 years unprotected in the yard. not to mention it was also a bee hive!! i didn't want to kill the bees so we just moved it to the back of the yard. we left for vaction weekend and when we came back it was gone and the whole yard was cleaned up. so i didn't complain. my hub won't allow me to shop at walmart due to the fact that he is very involved with unions (he was shop stewart 14 years for teamsters local 560 which was provanzano and the senior jimmy hoffa's stomping ground and office building in union city, NJ before he disappeared. several people were sent down the freight elevator shaft we rode in to go to the offices (which gave me the creeps everytime we got in it). and now he is big in the united food and commercial workers union.

Last edited:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I've done it on my Charbroil gas grill with OK results but my gas smoker really does it much better with the stove top/oven smoker being second best method. I think there are just too many air gaps in the gas grille to be that efficient.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
ok so when you use a proper SMOKER the smoked meat is NOT cooked it has to go on the grill after the smoking process done to be cooked?

FooD

ok so when you use a proper SMOKER the smoked meat is NOT cooked it has to go on the grill after the smoking process done to be cooked?

When you smoke meat, whether using a dedicated smoker or not, the meat will cook thoroughly......it generally takes longer to cook at low smoking temperatures that dedicated smokers are good at doing.

Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
When you smoke meat, whether using a dedicated smoker or not, the meat will cook thoroughly......it generally takes longer to cook at low smoking temperatures that dedicated smokers are good at doing.
so you can't get a nice flame licked crust on a steak etc?

chowhound

so you can't get a nice flame licked crust on a steak etc?

It depends on the smoker. I've broken down my WSM and used it as a charcoal grill, but I didn't expect it to perform as well as a dedicated grill. I still got a nice flame licked steak and grilled spuds from it.
They also make hybrids that will do both.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
It depends on the smoker. I've broken down my WSM and used it as a charcoal grill, but I didn't expect it to perform as well as a dedicated grill. I still got a nice flame licked steak and grilled spuds from it.
They also make hybrids that will do both.
big bucks i bet. i don't know enough about smoking like what fuel to use charcoal plain or hardwood etc to spend that money. but i do love smoked meats like ham, turkey, ribs, steaks and chicken.

chowhound

Yeah.... it was a little more than I wanted to spend, but the reviews, the size and looks, the ease of use, the adaptability (I've never seen anyone grilling on their ugly drum smokers), I figured it would last me until I die. And it's certainly not the most expensive smoker.
As with anything metal these days though, better buy it quick cuz it's only going to go up in price. Like I'm sure any grill or smoker is doing.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
Yeah.... it was a little more than I wanted to spend, but the reviews, the size and looks, the ease of use, the adaptability (I've never seen anyone grilling on their ugly drum smokers), I figured it would last me until I die. And it's certainly not the most expensive smoker.
As with anything metal these days though, better buy it quick cuz it's only going to go up in price. Like I'm sure any grill or smoker is doing.

ahhh u have but you only seen the pictures of the food afterwards... i open up all 4 vents on my UDS and i can be grilling in no time.. the highest i had it up to was a sealed 500*F...

if u got something to say just say it Chow... so done with this forum

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
ahhh u have but you only seen the pictures of the food afterwards... i open up all 4 vents on my UDS and i can be grilling in no time.. the highest i had it up to was a sealed 500*F...

i don't quite understand what you mean except that with the vents open you feed the flame and it gets hotter. so you can now grill on your smoker?

chowhound

I don't get it. I thought I just did say it. I'm just saying I never saw someone searing any meat on a UDS, on any forum.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
I don't get it. I thought I just did say it. I'm just saying I never saw someone searing any meat on a UDS, on any forum.
doh what does UDS stand for? i am so unknowledgedable (is that a word? if it isn't a word than it can't be spelt wrong!! LOL) on this stuff!!

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter

Couple of reasons for that.

People with a UDS built their own incredibly efficient smoker for about the price you and I pay for good Lump Charcoal.

People with a UDS are passionate and have more than one outdoor cooking unit….typically 3 or more. The regular gambit of Smoker, Coal Grill, and Gasser. But many have more, where 5+ units is the norm (I’ve got 5 units myself).

You can grill on a UDS by making a larger fire and fully opening the vents. But, when you own a UDS, you typically also own a Gasser or Coal Grill, so why do it?

A UDS is the incarnation of pure smoking passion, and honestly, looking at their numbers, they are far more efficient than any unit I own, and even more efficient than the over-priced WSM.

While I do want a WSM, I hate the lower air-intakes. That alone is what has stopped me from buying one. If they would fix that crappy 3 aluminum dial design for lower intake (maybe a single handle like the Silver and Gold Kettles use) I’d be all over it.

As it stands, I’m keeping my Masterbuilt alive since it is the same 3 piece design as the WSM, and has superior lower vent air control. It’s porcelain coated, has 3 cooking racks, and cost me a whopping 59.99.

And with it being a 3 piece design, I can remove the smoker body and grill over the fire pit……but I don’t. Why? Because I have 2 Weber Kettles and a Charbroil Gas Grill for that job.

9sf88p.jpg

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
doh what does UDS stand for? i am so unknowledgedable (is that a word? if it isn't a word than it can't be spelt wrong!! LOL) on this stuff!!

UDS = Ugly Drum Smoker

It's a homemade smoker that one constructs from a 50 gallon drum.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
UDS = Ugly Drum Smoker

It's a homemade smoker that one constructs from a 50 gallon drum.
ok so give me one of your 5 damn grills!! i don't have any but a cheapo that is already rusting. :yum:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
ok so give me one of your 5 damn grills!! i don't have any but a cheapo that is already rusting. :yum:

Ok, you'll probably want the Weber 18" Kettle as it is the most versatile. Let me know when you're ready for pickup! :lol::thumb:

313kjn5.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Ok, you'll probably want the Weber 18" Kettle as it is the most versatile. Let me know when you're ready for pickup! :lol::thumb:

313kjn5.jpg
NOW!!!!!!!!!! and be sure to send some fuel!! lump coal or hardwood or whatever it uses to cook with!!