My KA bit the dust...

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
After 20 years my KitchenAid Epicurean stand mixer went to that special place where all good mixers go when they become tired and overworked. Sadly, it made it's final loaf of bread yesterday :sad:

Since my birthday is just around the corner, DH said he would buy me a new one for my birthday :blowcandle:. We have pretty much decided on what is supposed to be the "Cadillac" of KitchenAid mixers....the Professional 600 6-Quart Bowl Lift Stand Mixer.

The Professional 600 TM has a powerful motor (575 Watts) that is crafted for commercial-style performance, the direct drive, all-steel gear transmission delivers unyielding power for professional results. The mixer can effectively mix up to 14 cups of all-purpose flour per recipe and produce up to 8 pounds of mashed potatoes. The Soft Start mixing feature helps minimize ingredient splatter and flour puff with gentle acceleration to selected speed after start-up. Electronic Speed Sensor monitors operation to maintain precise mixer speed. Commercial-style motor protection automatically shuts off the mixer when overload is sensed to protect the motor. Durable all-steel gears provide reliable service. The mixer includes a 6-quart-capacity stainless-steel mixing bowl with a contoured handle, as well as a professional wire whip, a burnished flat beater, a spiral dough hook, and a one piece pouring shield. Its multipurpose attachment hub with a hinged hub cover flips open to allow for easy installation of attachments. The Professional 600 Series bowl-lift design raises the bowl into the mixing position, and its solid, truly seamless one-piece motor head design is easy to clean and comes in a variety of fashionable colors.

4066303.jpg

The only thing that concerns me is that I understand that KA is now owned by Whirlpool and may not be the same KA of yesteryear. Do any of you know anything about the new KA and/or this mixer? :unsure:

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Oh yeah. Franny loves our 600. Good choice Mama.

Don't know anything about Whirlpool however.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Has she made much bread or done any heavy duty mixing with it Buzz?

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Fran reports that the 600 seems to be straining harder than her rather heavy duty Cuisinart food processor when working dough. She makes lots of pizzas. I think the sound is deceiving though.

Leni

My friend that has one said that the motors are no longer as strong as they used to be.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
the lift bowl methinks is the better choice.

KA gave themselves a gigantic black eye in all the "who do you belong to today?" nonsense. the biggest issue as I recall was changing to plastic gears and housings - which promptly destroyed themselves if you mixed anything heavier than egg whites. supposedly they corrected that design deviation, but a lot of serious bakers moved away from the KA in the flapola.

I've got the lift bowl model from the mid-90's - it's doing okay by me - and I do breads and pizza crusts right regular - note: batch size smaller than "family of 18" . . .

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
The one that burned out was a lift bowl and so is the Pro 600. I definitely prefer the lift bowl.

I heard the same complaint about the plastic gears but the pro model says it has a direct drive, all-steel gear transmission.

I have a heavy duty Cuisinart food processor but I don't know how well it would work for kneading bread dough.

My problem is that I really need a machine that can handle kneading the dough for 10 or so minutes. I had carpal tunnel syndrome a few years back and had surgery on both of my hands. While the pain has largely subsided, I never regained the strength in my hands and still get a burning sensation in my wrists when I try to do too much. It's my own fault, I shouldn't have put off the surgery as long as I did.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Mama, for as much cooking as you do check this guy out.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000ON65XO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile[/ame]

I did a lot of research once. There was a big mixed thread. You might find the cuidinart interesting.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Here is another well reviewed mixer.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-White-Assistent-Stand-Mixer/dp/B00006WNNH/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/ame]

Also, it gets great marks for bread dough.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks everyone! The first link didn't work Andy.

DH surprised me tonight. On the way home from work, he went by William Sonoma and bought me this:

KitchenAid 7-Qt. Pro Line Stand Mixer

• Introducing the largest, most powerful – and quietest – KitchenAid mixer we've ever offered. With a generous 7-qt. capacity, this machine equips home bakers with a full range of high-performance commercial features for fast, efficient mixing and quality results.
    • Commercial design includes a bowl lift and heavy-duty metal knobs.
    • 1.3-horsepower motor delivers robust mixing and kneading with surprisingly quiet operation.
    • Planetary action allows attachments to spin independently while making continual rotations around the bowl for thorough mixing.
    • Ten speeds range from very slow stirring to very high beating.
    • Polished 7-qt. cap. stainless-steel bowl with comfort handle.
    • Professional whip with 11 stainless-steel wires operates 33% more quickly than typical whips for optimal aeration of egg whites or cream.
    • Commercial power hub works with all KitchenAid attachments.
    • Hand assembled in Greenville, Ohio, home of KitchenAid since 1919.
    • Includes wire elliptical whip and a flat beater and dough hook.
    • Makes up to 14 dozen cookies or 8lbs of dough.
    • All metal gears and touch points are built to last and backed by a 2 year total replacement warranty.
    • Medallion Silver is
41NlGrUEa1L._SY450_.jpg

I love that man....:wub: I don't know why God saw fit to Bless me with such a wonderful husband but I sure am thankful!

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
mama, how :wub: of him! aw~
pretty finish on the mixer, too.
w/s is a great place to shop~

Last edited:

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thank you everyone!

I made my first batch of Italian bread today in my new KA! I must say, I LOVE IT! This one has a spiral dough hook and I think it does a better job of kneading the dough than the old "J" type hook. The motor didn't struggle in the least and the top of the machine never even got warm. Can't wait to try a wheat bread recipe!

Now I just need to give her a name........

Shermie

Site Supporter
Oh yeah. Franny loves our 600. Good choice Mama.

Don't know anything about Whirlpool however.

Buzzard 67, here's some info for you that I think you might want to know;

The KA division of appliances, and this included its dishwashers, garbage disposers and stand mixers, was once owned and sold by the Hobart Corporation for many, many, many years.

Hobart makes commercial dishwashing machines, pot washing machines, meat slicers, convection ovens, as well as huge floor-standing and table stand mixers for the food service industry worldwide.

In the early to mid '80s, Hobart had sold it's KA division to Whirlpool. So everything that Hobart made for the KA division had went to Whirlpool.

Whirlpool is famous for its washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerators and freezers. The co. has been making them for many many, many years.

They've acquired such co's along the was as Maytag, Norge, and they make the high-end line of Kenmore appliances for Sears, as well as some low-end brand lines such as Estate & Roper.

Hope this helps. :eating2: :piesmiley1:

Shermie

Site Supporter
After 20 years my KitchenAid Epicurean stand mixer went to that special place where all good mixers go when they become tired and overworked. Sadly, it made it's final loaf of bread yesterday :sad:

Since my birthday is just around the corner, DH said he would buy me a new one for my birthday :blowcandle:. We have pretty much decided on what is supposed to be the "Cadillac" of KitchenAid mixers....the Professional 600 6-Quart Bowl Lift Stand Mixer.

4066303.jpg

The only thing that concerns me is that I understand that KA is now owned by Whirlpool and may not be the same KA of yesteryear. Do any of you know anything about the new KA and/or this mixer? :unsure:

So sorry to hear that, Mama.

But at least you are now getting a more powerful one that you'll enjoy using!! Enjoy! :bbq3:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Congratulations, Mama - on the new mixer and, particularly, on the REALLY GOOD DH!

:)

Lee

Mountain man

Entree Cook
Gold Site Supporter
Mama, did you even inquire about repairing the old one? The brushes for the motor are cheap and is usually all that goes wrong on them. They are easy to replace and give it some fresh zip like a good tune-up on a car. I never get rid of anything without at least tearing it apart to see what went wrong.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
I smoked the motor. There was a plume of white smoke :lol:. DH said that since it was so old and not nearly as strong as the one he bought me, he didn't want to fool with it.

Shermie

Site Supporter

4066303.jpg

You're right, Mama.

KA IS owned by Whirlpool.

But it should still have the same quality and reliability that KA is known for back in the days when Hobart owned the division.

My K-5SSWH is Whirlpool- made.

It almost died on me when I bought and used that ill-fated food grinder attachment. It has since rebound and survived that onslaught and has been working great ever since!

Bought a separate electric food grinder instead. :bbq3:

Cooksie

Site Supporter
Thank you everyone!

I made my first batch of Italian bread today in my new KA! I must say, I LOVE IT! This one has a spiral dough hook and I think it does a better job of kneading the dough than the old "J" type hook. The motor didn't struggle in the least and the top of the machine never even got warm. Can't wait to try a wheat bread recipe!

Now I just need to give her a name........

It's kind of funny how we give cooking tools/appliances names :corny:. I have a big skillet named Big Red. My bbq pit is named Blackie although Rusty would be more appropriate now.

Congrats on the new mixer!

Shermie

Site Supporter
I smoked the motor. There was a plume of white smoke :lol:. DH said that since it was so old and not nearly as strong as the one he bought me, he didn't want to fool with it.

You mean you SHOT it?!! Hah!! Just kidding. :piesmiley1:

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i own pinky, the KA. & hefty-that is 1 of my knife-bags. my knives have names. wusthie, ouchie, hefty, sharpie, stiller, carbon, dull-u-suck, etc.

Shermie

Site Supporter
Thanks everyone! The first link didn't work Andy.

DH surprised me tonight. On the way home from work, he went by William Sonoma and bought me this:

KitchenAid 7-Qt. Pro Line Stand Mixer

41NlGrUEa1L._SY450_.jpg

I love that man....:wub: I don't know why God saw fit to Bless me with such a wonderful husband but I sure am thankful!

Your hubby did GOOD, Mama!!

This one looks like it'll give you many more years of reliable use! if my machines gave up the ghost, I'd probably get one of these also!

First home commercial mixer where the motor is measured in horsepower instead of in watts. :weber:

chilefarmer

Mama, we have the same mixer as your new one. Good and strong. We also bought the aluminum meat grinder for the KA, not so good. Maybe I am just used to using the old heavy beast.
One note, the out put shaft on the mixer will get dry of grease. Ours did, no big deal just remove the top and grease with food grade lube. You will be able to tell when it starts to drag. Just saying happen to me. But I am happy over all with the mixer. CF

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks CF. That certainly is good to know. I'll get some food grade lube to have on hand.

I've had the meat grinder attachment for years and it sits in the cabinet. I never use it. I tried it a couple of times and I didn't like it. It would splatter blood everywhere whenever I used it. IDK, maybe I was just using it wrong. I use my Cuisinart 14-cup food processor to grind meat now. Works like a champ.

I am pretty excited about getting the pasta roller/cutter attachment though :w00t:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here is another well reviewed mixer.

http://www.amazon.com/Electrolux-White-Assistent-Stand-Mixer/dp/B00006WNNH/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Also, it gets great marks for bread dough.

Adillo, I HAVE one of those, only mine is in gray, and yes, it DOES do an excellent job working with bread dough!

It has the largest work bowl of any home stand mixer; 8 quarts.

It is very popular in Sweden where it is made and it is well loved by gourmet and professional chefs alike.

Now, the brand's name has been changed to Verona or something like that. But it is still the same thing.
Here's the link below; :eating2:

http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/magic_mill_dlx_mixer.aspx

Last edited:

Shermie

Site Supporter
Here are MY two KA stand mixers.

Attachments

• My two KA Stand Mixers..jpg
    My two KA Stand Mixers..jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 95