Year+ Old Processed Mozzarella Cheese

Okay - I'm almost asking this as a joke, because I'm really not planning on eating it, but am in the midst of a major fridge clean-out (which, for me, is a big deal - lol!), & found a package way in the back - nearly frozen - of Polly-O Part-Skim Mozzarella cheese. Looks just as pristine as any other package of processed mozzarella & is vacuum sealed. Date on it is August 2010.

Yes, I know, I know, & I will be tossing it. But since it looks exactly the same as the new Polly-O Part-Skim mozzy I bought today, was just wondering.

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
I do not know if there is a distinction or not. Some cheese (hard cheese, for lack of a better name) is routinely aged for months, if not years. The reason that I tossed it, is because it is / was a soft "wet" cheese. I suppose if the cheese were heated to a temperature that killed everything that lives and then sealed with no air. Well, maybe, but, not for me.

DW will eat lots of things that I will not, due to dates, color, etc. I will cook them for her and eat something else.

Okay - I'm almost asking this as a joke, because I'm really not planning on eating it, but am in the midst of a major fridge clean-out (which, for me, is a big deal - lol!), & found a package way in the back - nearly frozen - of Polly-O Part-Skim Mozzarella cheese. Looks just as pristine as any other package of processed mozzarella & is vacuum sealed. Date on it is August 2010.

Yes, I know, I know, & I will be tossing it. But since it looks exactly the same as the new Polly-O Part-Skim mozzy I bought today, was just wondering.

While I have not tried Polly-O, I'm not a fan of "processed" foods, especially cheese. I didn't know there was an expiration date for same. Personally, I'd toss it. I will be going through my freezer, & I might just find Jimmy Hoffa (kidding ;-)). If you feel brave, put it on a cracker, nuke it, smell it, & then toss it.

Well, to be honest, I'm not sure that Polly-O mozzarella is exactly "processed" like regular processed-cheese products. I just said "processed" to differentiate it from soft fresh mozzarella.

And I'm also familiar with the Jimmy Hoffa jab, although my husband normally uses it to refer to the bottom of my handbag & the back of my car - lol!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
although my husband normally uses it to refer to the bottom of my handbag & the back of my car

My stepson refers to his wife's handbag as "Our purse". That way he does not spoil the line of his slacks. LOL