What would you not eat as a kid that you can't live with out now?

Lefty

Yank
For me I hated most everything as a kid and I was finiky. But tomatoes, olives, onions top my list. I couldn't imagine life with out them now.

lilylove

spinach! Cheddar cheese ( any cheese for that matter besides fake American),

Liver, heart, split pea and lentil soups!

buzzard767

golfaknifeaholic
Gold Site Supporter
Scallops, oysters, clams, shrimp.... I guess all shellfish. Friday night fish fry was a Wisconsin custom and I used to love fresh fried walleye pike so it wasn't just a seafood thing. Oh, and a sip of beer tasted so bitter. Yuck. That all changed by the time I was fifteen though. :D

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Mushrooms is something I wouldn't touch as a kid that I love now. Chicken I loved as a kid now and haven't touched in well over 40 years now. Liver I couldn't eat then and still won't touch it as it smelled like dog sh*t then and still does to me. I haven't had a chain type hamburger in years either and used to love them.

Lefty

Yank
Mushrooms is something I wouldn't touch as a kid that I love now. Chicken I loved as a kid now and haven't touched in well over 40 years now. Liver I couldn't eat then and still won't touch it as it smelled like dog sh*t then and still does to me. I haven't had a chain type hamburger in years either and used to love them.

I will add shrooms to my list. Love em now.

suziquzie

Spicy food. Hated it, love it!
I liked just about everything when I was a kid.... yeah yeah I was wierd but I'm ok with that.

lilylove

The reason I didn't like most stuff... and what I realize now... is that my mom couldn't cook it well. If she had I'd have prbly liked it just fine. :)

Luckytrim

Grill Master
Gold Site Supporter
What LilyLove Said !
When the Warden and I were first getting to know each other, she offered to cook me dinner at her place..... I inquired as to the menu, and she said, "Liver and Onoins (mashed potatoes, creamed corn) I said "Hate it!" Shae said, "I know how to cook it, and I bet your mamma, like MY mamma, didn't." Well, being infatuated, I decided I should suffer through the dinner, say the obligatory niceties, and "move on"......
Lo' and Behold, she was perfectly right !
I've got to have this meal exactly at least three times a month !!
(Oh, Yeah; and oysters)

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Oysters... I just love them now. I remember my mom eating them and telling me how good they were and I thought she was nuts! She made the best oyster stew... but I always spooned out the broth without the oysters (big mistake).

Buttermilk, another one that I could not stand as a kid, but just love now. I always try to keep some handy for cooking and drinking with a bit of pepper.

I know there are others, but these are the ones at the top of my mind.

Locutus

Cereal. :puke1: Hot or cold (except hominy grits! :D )

Now I'll eat oatmeal or all-bran if there's nothing else in the house, and as long as it isn't more than once or twice per month. :tongue:

Still can't even sit at the same table with someone else eating cream of wheat! :sick:

crewsk

Olives, I hated them growing up, my mom would sit down on the couch at night with a fork & a jar of green olives & eat them while we watched TV. The smell of them made me sick. But when our daughter started eating solid food, my mom gave her a piece of an olive, she did the same thing with the 4 grandkids before her. Savannah loved it & has been addicted to them since. So, I decided to give one a try & was surprised by how much I actually liked it.
Other than that I can't think of anything other than onions & bell peppers. I still don't like them raw, but I do like them cooked.

buckytom

Grill Master
i don't know about not living without it now, but i would not eat anchovies, raw clams and oysters, or smoked fish as a kid. i truely enjoy all of them now, as often as possible.

umm, wait. i wouldn't eat sushi as a kid (it was just becoming popular in america back in the 70's), but i crave it now so badly that i have it at least once a week.

BamsBBQ

Ni pedo
Site Supporter
sushi or any cooked fish for that matter(except smoked salmon)
turnips
sweet potatoes
venison ( i always thought of the bambi movie as a kid..lol)

lilylove

" venison ( i always thought of the bambi movie as a kid..lol) "

That movie sure has saved a lot of deer!!! lol!!

Newnork1978

As a kid, I couldn't stand onions or spinach. I like spinach, now, but I don't eat much of it (not many opportunities, until now)...but I absolutely love onions, and I put them in whatever I can. :chef:

FryBoy

Asparagus.
Avocados.
Tomatoes.
Broccoli.
Spinach.
Sour cream.

But I still don't like:

Beets.
Liver.
Eggs (except scrambled).

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
cabbage cooked and raw!! funny i liked brussels sprout. now i love cabbage cooked (corned beef wouldn't be the same without it!!) i love raw cabbage in salad BUT not cole slaw with mayo. i will eat cabbage slaw if dressed with oil, vinegar and spices. i just can't deal with cabbage and mayo. oh and red pickled cabbage is a no no also. so i have come pretty far but not all the way.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
Ass! Thought it was so full of cooties as a kid, but changed my mind later.

:yum::yum::yum::yum:

Ok, I don't eat him (see below), but I do love a good pork butt (ass).

Butt! Here's my ASS! I really do have a cute Ass. :lol:

donkey.jpg

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
Coffee! That's the only thing I can't live without!

A few things that I like now that I didn't before are peas, liver, raw onions, tomatoes, brussels sprouts...

GotGarlic

Onions and bell peppers (but still not raw), spicy food and oil-cured black olives - they're the only kind of olives I like. And coffee, for sure! I still can't drink it without sugar and cream.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
fish & BBQ. love both now! they were the wrong kinds of fish, & the BBQ, i'm uncertain why i didn't love that.

Newnork1978

As a kid I also didn't like cooked veggies. I preferred them raw (even as a kid), and I still prefer them raw, but I have learned to appreciate the cooked veggie...'cept when I make 'em, I leave 'em a little bit under-cooked. I love the crunch. :smile:

SilverSage

Resident Crone
Pizza!!! I wouldn't eat pizza or Chinese food of any kind as a kid. :bonk:

Once I learned how to cook, and figured that I liked all the things on/in them, I love both.

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
Onions and bell peppers (but still not raw), spicy food and oil-cured black olives - they're the only kind of olives I like. And coffee, for sure! I still can't drink it without sugar and cream.
i still can't stand those black (prune-ish wrinkly) cured olives!! they taste like they have been cure in 30 weight motor oil to me!!