community gardening

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
a local association revived a sorta concept of a city-wide gardening place. u purchase a piece of land fer a nominal amount, & grow crops there. buy land early; plant when weather permits (in less than a year.) luv their concept. they create so many community events.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
community gardens are a very ancient idea.

in Germany bunches of people live in apartments - they have no place to garden. 'just outside' the cities you'll see garden plots - most with rather fancy 'garden sheds' - where people spend the day or the weekend (depending on the degree of fancy...)

the same applies world wide - the best community gardens have a convenient water supply, perimeter fencing pest control, and rules about how&when plot rented by people-who-never-show-up-and-just-grow-weeds are 'reclaimed'

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
You going to buy in, luvs?

Might be a really good thing for you!

Lee

Leni

I have a 600 sq ft garden in the largest community garden in the US. It's nearly 30 acres and has close to 900 garden plots.

Leni

No. I live in the Valley and do not go downtown unless I absolutely have to. The garden center is in Encino just south of the 101 and east of Balboa Blvd. It is part of the Sepulveda Dam Basin complex. The land is owned by the Army Corps of Engineers and the City administers it. We are above the flood plain which is good. Nothing like planting and just before harvest we are underwater.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
hmmmm, Murphy's Garden Law.... perhaps you should round up a bunch of people and start planting on the flood plain - CA can use the water (g)!

Leni

We have a friend in Oklahoma who called saying that it had already rained over five inches. Told him to send some our way.