ISO Snow Crab Clusters Prep & Recipe Ideas

How do you prep your snow crab clusters - steam, grill, bake? Any interesting recipes? I will probably serve them with steak, but open to new ideas. TIA

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
The clusters I can get here were previously frozen and already cooked. So All I need do is warm them up. To do so, I make a large pot of water with a bag of Zatarain’s Crab Boil. I let that boil vigorously for 15 or so minutes to infuse the water with the flavor. Then I drop the crab in, kill the heat, and cover. All you’re doing is warming the crab back up since it’s already cooked. Just let it soak covered in the hot water for 15 or so minutes, and you’re ready.

If try to “cook” pre-cooked crab for too long, the meat gets tough, sticks to the shell, won’t pull out properly, and the shells themselves will begin to get soft making them hard to crack.

Once & awhile when we have a very good ribeye,we make a hollandaisse(sp) sauce and just heat up our crab pieces in that then top the steak with it all.. Heavan on a plate..lol

The other way we had them that was very good was in New Orlean's in a remoulade sauce.. Very tasty

http://netcookingtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13387

Now you tell me. I finished my steak. LOL. Sounds good. Thank you & thanks for the link. :kiss: (Honestly, I'm not a fan of spicy or cajun, but will keep it in mind.)

Here's an idea of what the snow crab clusters look like:

4snowcrab2.jpg

Mine look more like these:

http://www.novafish.com/pages/snow04_lg.html

Bought them at Ralph's for $2.84, for close to a pound. Pretty good deal imo. Is the white stuff edible?

Last edited:

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I often take the left over legs and crack them open to remove all the meat. I then use the meat for West Indies salad or crab cakes. Works out very well, so it should work just as well in your slow cooker recipe.

That white clump at the top of the crabs is mostly paper thin shell-like material that divides the muscles into chambers for moving each leg. You can peel it apart to get at some pretty good meat inside (but it can be tedious). Of that large white hunk, about 75% is shell which makes up the chambers for the legs. The meat there is good, but not as good as the meat in the legs themselves or the claws.

And that is an awesome price for those clusters. They are going for 8.99 per pound here.

Whether Snow Crab or King Crab, what I do is fill a large roasting pan with about 2" of water, add the legs, & cook/reheat them in a preheated 350-degree oven for between 20-30 minutes. Everything is heated through without being overcooked. I also use kitchen shears to cut open the legs - MUCH easier/nicer than lobster crackers.