Is my chicken too old?

suziquzie

:confused:
I took it out to thaw in the fridge thursday to roast saturday. DH and I were too sick to eat all weekend, think it's still good today?

Calicolady

If it were me - NOT!

My feeling - if you have to even consider the question - don't question. Toss!
Sorry SQZEE.

bowlingshirt

I ate some chicken that had been in the fridge for too long, and ended up :puke1:in the middle of the night. Never again...

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Its depends on the temperature in your fridge and when it finally defrosted. If you have doubts, I would opt for the cautious approach. Smell it, feel it and it it is different throw it. If you do decide to cook it, taste a bit before serving - if there is any taint don't serve it. Some of it may also depend on how long it had been stored before freezing. If you bought it frozen, I would be inclined to think it may be OK. If you have doubts, do not use it, you family's health is not worth it.

PanchoHambre

Suzi

In all honesty if I was just making it for myself and it seemed OK and it had been handled safe I would probably take the risk

BUT if I was feeding a family NOPE.... sounds like you have had enough sick people around as late... a house full of puking kids and puking parents=bad stuff

High Cheese

Saucier
LOL @ "taint" :lol: :bonk:

Yeah, I would toss it. I know you said you were sick, but times like that where I know I won't be eating it soon I'll cook it and make chicken salad or soup or something that I can use for lunch or to eat in a day or two.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
LOL @ "taint" :lol: :bonk:

Yeah, I would toss it. I know you said you were sick, but times like that where I know I won't be eating it soon I'll cook it and make chicken salad or soup or something that I can use for lunch or to eat in a day or two.

Thats what I would have done as well.

Bowlingshirt - I take your point, I was mentioning that as one additional way to test but as I said if you are uncertain don't cook it. I think if it went into the fridge as a frozen bird on Thursday, it wouldn't fully fully defrost until Saturday. Assuming the fridge is at 5 degrees or lower, I believe it would be all right. However, if Suzie is concerned, she should chuck it rather than risk it, especially as young children are involved. If cooked, it should be throughly cooked, even a bit overcooked.

suziquzie

I'd eat it.... but....
I've had enough barf and... um.... the other from this crew this week. I narrowly escaped the plauge and I'd like to keep it that way so, the bird has flown the coop.
:(
bummer.
thanks everyone for worrying!
(here ends the great chicken debate of '09)
:)

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I'm sure it's fine. Poultry can survive three days in proper refrigeration. It probably didn't fully defrost until Saturday....

FooD

I've eaten chicken that defrosted in the fridge and kept there for over a week, no problem. In fact, I've done this many times over the years. I didn't know it was dangerous to do this.

VeraBlue

Head Mistress
Gold Site Supporter
I've eaten chicken that defrosted in the fridge and kept there for over a week, no problem. In fact, I've done this many times over the years. I didn't know it was dangerous to do this.
A week is pushing it....three days is fine.