What's up with my spuds?

chowhound

OK. I'm not a professional chef, but I've seen a lot of spuds and never saw any that looked like this after I cut them open. Perfectly perfect on the outside, but rotting (?) on the inside. I cut into two of these russets, that I just happened to buy yesterday in a 5lb bag, and this is what I found.
BTW, I have decided not to have homefries tonight :yuk:
Take 'em back?

Attachments

• spud1.jpg
    spud1.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 126
  • spud2.jpg
    spud2.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 121

TexasGirl

The Invisible
Super Site Supporter
Hmm, I would take them back, but, I don't know much about them myself. I just get nervous about strange things.

Take them back by all means. I am usually too scattered to think of it. The last couple of times I have just told them, and have gotten credit for it. (Why should I go lugging them BACK ??) So far they are agreeable. If it is an emergency, you can use the rest of it if you get back from the bad part a ways. Not that you should ever have to do that, but it can be done if it is an emergency.

chowhound

Thanks. I'm curious still as to what is wrong with them. I've used some old potatoes and never had any that were as firm and seemingly healthy as these, that were bad in the center. Figures I just start shopping at my little town store again and this is what I run into. Befor ethat it was rank meats and moldy packaged cheese (Kraft). What the hell are they doing over there?

chowhound

Thanks. It seems with the other problems I've run into here, they must do a lot of things improperly, or purchase from vendors who do.

babe

i have found that if they are rotten on the inside, it makes the rest takes funky. i would not use them, and yes i would take them back.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
It looks like “Internal Brown Spot” or IBS. Also called Internal Heat Necrosis or Brown Center.

It is basically necrotic or dead cellular tissue. The flesh has died. This is usually cause by improper water and nutrition while growing. But it is not caused by external parasites.

Causes of the Disorders. Although studied intensively, the exact causes of BER, tipburn, and IBS are not completely known. However, two related factors appear to underlie development of the disorders. Nutrient and/or water deficiencies are usually associated with BER, tipburn, and IBS. Growing leaves, for example, inside developing heads of cabbage or lettuce, or immature fruit or tubers may not receive enough water or nutrients (particularly calcium). Interruptions in the water or calcium supply to young tissues may cause localized areas of cell death – necrotic areas which later show up as BER, tipburn, or IBS.

Link discussing this.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It looks like “Internal Brown Spot” or IBS. Also called Internal Heat Necrosis or Brown Center.

It is basically necrotic or dead cellular tissue. The flesh has died. This is usually cause by improper water and nutrition while growing. But it is not caused by external parasites.

Causes of the Disorders. Although studied intensively, the exact causes of BER, tipburn, and IBS are not completely known. However, two related factors appear to underlie development of the disorders. Nutrient and/or water deficiencies are usually associated with BER, tipburn, and IBS. Growing leaves, for example, inside developing heads of cabbage or lettuce, or immature fruit or tubers may not receive enough water or nutrients (particularly calcium). Interruptions in the water or calcium supply to young tissues may cause localized areas of cell death – necrotic areas which later show up as BER, tipburn, or IBS.

Link discussing this.

Yeah...what Keltin said. :unsure:

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
It's what Keltin said.
Basically the grower had issues with watering at some point and the spotatoes responded it to it. I have seen it a couple of times and it simply a case of get rid of. The store should replace them as they are not fit for eating.

chowhound

I'm wondering if I should take my knife along to the store..... if the whole lot of them will have these brown spots.

chowhound

I didn't mean my chefs knife (lol).
But there's no way to tell if a new bag is going to be affected unless I cut one open. I suppose they have a knife laying around somewhere though.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I would buy a different variety or ones from a different delivery that will have come from a different farm.

High Cheese

Saucier
I've seen that before. Sometimes I just cut that part out. No big deal. If the whole bag has it, I would definately return it.

chowhound

I wouldn't know if the whole bag has it unless I cut the whole bag of potatoes up. Then I don't know that they'd return them. I'll see if there's a lot # or something on the bag I can reference against another bag.

PanchoHambre

Yuck... I hate this too seen it a few times. Never tried to return them.

not as bad as the peppers with the fuzzy insides though