ISO TNT turkey meatloaf

PanchoHambre

Suzie

I dont have a recipe... but I have made some tasty turkey meatloafs

IMO the key is making up for some of the meat flavor lost by subbing turkey for red meat

If I remember correctly the best one I made that came really good I did with an basic italian flavoring and added a couple spoons of red-sauce into the meat mix along with some chopped red bell peppers & onions ( i think I sauteed them first to get some of the moisture out) and a good amount of parm... then I topped it with red sauce as it baked to get a nice crust of the stuff on there.

wish I remembered exactly how I did it... baked it free form in a LeCrueuset

I will have to try and re-create sometime

buckytom

Grill Master
i haven't had a real meatloaf in a long time. we only use turkey.

i make mine with a pound of ground turkey. get the 93/7, not the extra lean all white meat ground turkey. it's too dry.

add milk, 2 eggwhites (eggwhites make it lighter and more tender than a whole egg) , ketchup, s&p, chopped fresh parsley, seasoned breadcrumbs, and diced raw sweet onions. the sweeter the onion the better.

free form it in a glass baking dish, not working or compressing the meat too much. top with more ketchup and roast at 350.

for something different, nix the ketchup, and use mustard. then, top the formed loaf with whole grain mustard and press fennel seeds into it.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I've never made turkey meatloaf, but one of the moistest meatloaves I've made included some bread soaked in milk. You could do that to add some moisture.

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
I’ve made turkey burgers several times, but not a meatloaf. Sounds cool! But as BT says, get good quality turkey meat. One time I picked up one of those “rolls” of turkey meat. It was on sale, and I was looking for something new to try.

I’m not sure what parts they grind up to fill those rolls, but it was horrible, and even gritty. So get the good stuff!

suziquzie

ok, note to self, don't use the roll of ground turkey you bought on sale to try turkey meatloaf.....

thanks keltin.... sheesh.
there goes THAT plan!!!!
;)

buckytom

Grill Master
the best i've found is shady brook farms ground turkey.

189_medium.gif

Keltin

Gold Site Supporter
ok, note to self, don't use the roll of ground turkey you bought on sale to try turkey meatloaf.....

thanks keltin.... sheesh.
there goes THAT plan!!!!
;)

Sorry suzi! But at least you know now. I used that meat, and DW won’t let me cook with turkey anymore! :shock:

It had a dark and “wangy” taste, and it was gritty as if they had ground up parts of the bones and ligaments as well. Still, don’t toss. Instead, try to make Sweet and Sour Meatballs out of it……but save your meatloaf for better meat.

But, I'm gonna get some good turkey meat before long and try to "sneak" it past her! :lol: