Chicken & Biscuits

chowhound

A while back I found out that chicken & bicuits is like goulash... it means different things to different people. Up here in the northeast chicken & biscuits is a thick gravy served over biscuits with shredded chicken in it. It is standard fair in dinors (diners). I've tried various quick ways to duplicate that dinor taste and look and this is what I came up with. (leave the cream of chicken soup in the cupboard :wink:)

Add some veggies to a saute pan and sweat them in a little EVOO. Your choice. Here I used celery, carrots and onion, seasoned with a little s&p. Peas are popular, too. Add them towards the end.

While that is cooking, shred your chicken. it is important to shred the chicken and not just break it into pieces. Here I used some leftover chicken that was in the fridge. Smoked chicken would work, but the flavor would be overbearing in this dish.
Add the chicken to warm though. I also added a little poultry seasoning for aded flavor.

After warming everything through I add about half a stick of butter, let it melt, turn up the heat and add 3-4 spoons of flour.

Once that has cooked for a while, add some chicken stock (my preference) or broth, along with milk or cream if desired. I used about a 2:1 ratio here of stock to cream. I was also going for a thick gravy, so play around with it until you get the consistency you like.

Serve it on your biscuits of choice.

Attachments

• chic & bisc1.jpg
    chic & bisc1.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 137
  • chic & bisc2.jpg
    chic & bisc2.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 139
  • chic & bisc3.jpg
    chic & bisc3.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 140
  • chic & bisc4.jpg
    chic & bisc4.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 131
  • chic & bisc5.jpg
    chic & bisc5.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 138

chowhound

Another variation would be to put the chicken and veggies in a pressure cooker. You can use the broth/cooking liquid that is used here, too. Strain into a colander, retaining the juice, let cool, shred the chicken, then add everything to a saute pan and take it from there, adding the butter and thickening agent.
This is served over mashed potatoes. You can see that the veggies are very soft from having pressure cooked the whole time with the chicken.

Attachments

• chicken & mashed potatos.jpg
    chicken & mashed potatos.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 149

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Looks great, chow, as usual!

What are the little tan sticks in with the green beans?

Lee