scissor tongs

MsMarm

I've been looking for tongs that are hinged like scissors and have silicone business ends. Being hinged helps my arthritic thumb joint and having non-scratch/high-temp working ends are safe with non-stick cookware and bakeware. Can anyone help with locating this tool?
Many thanks!

phreak

These don't have silicone but they are made of wood = non-scratch.
I do not own these so I can not attest to the quality.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Linden-Sweden-Jonas-Scissor-Beechwood/dp/B008PB4FJI/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1366935953&sr=8-14&keywords=scissor+tongs[/ame]

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I have a pair in stainless steel however the rubber handles wore off years ago. I got them when we first got married almost a 1/2 century ago now but they still work well for some things.

Leni

What she is looking for is a pair that has silicon on the grasping ends of the tongs. She ha a pair of wooden ones but is still looking for the other kind.

phreak

Holy cow, in doing a search I found a thread on another forum by MsMarm from 2009 looking for the same thing. I can't believe nobody makes these!

MsMarm

Thanks, Phreak, for your Amazon suggestion. I ordered those tongs to see if they're different from the unit Leni referred to -- that wooden tool is hard to operate as the dowel connector of the 2 pieces is really tight. Also, my thumb just fits the thumb hole without much extra movement space.

I'll let you know how the Swedish wooden ones work.

My intention is to use them to turn veg pieces at the halfway point in roasting. Spring-loaded ones hurt my thumb joint after about turning half the contents of the sheet pan over.

MsMarm

Got 'em. The open/close action in the newer set is the same as the prior pair, both stiff. Hubby used a silicone grease at the dowel that connects the sides on both pairs, and it definitely eased up the movement. Now I need to figure out how to open the finger holes some without jeopardizing the integrity of the wood.

Next step is to roast some cauliflower or hard squash and try these babies out.

Still looking for silicone-tipped metal or plastic scissor tongs.

MsMarm

"in my post (#7), i gave a direct link to where to purchase them. have u looked into those~
i spend plenty of time in kitchen supply places, & most have them.
they're not a new, innovative item. i've owned my silicone tongs fer years, now. they can be purchased easily via many retailors. if u need a set, u could find them. we offered pointers, yet u reiterate on the o.p.- it's either buy a set, or buy not a set. simplistic logic."

luvs,

Apologies if my original post wasn't clear.

Re the Wm Sonoma site you referred, I looked at each and every item. With the exception of the ebelskiver product (requires 2 hands to operate) and soft-grip serving tongs (no silicone tip), all products shown are either spring-loaded or require the pressure of a pincer grasp. These are the movements that hurt my thumb joint -- that's why I asked about a hinged scissor-tong.

And, yes, as soon as I get help from my husband, I'll show pictures of the wooden tong sets.

Chriswriter

I need the same thing, same reason; scissor tongs with silicone on the grasping end. No springs, no locks, no one-piece of any material whatsoever.

Does anybody know how to find a company that coats stuff in silicone? I'll buy a hundred pairs of tongs, pay to have them dipped, and sell 98 of them in under 5 minutes. I'm keeping two for me, after going through all this to get them.

Thanks, all.

Chriswriter

Thanks, but no. The silicone is on the grip, not the grabber end. I do have canning tongs, but they're much too wide, and they curve, so they won't pick up a piece of frying chicken.

I followed all the other links above, too. I got all excited, but still no joy. Poor, pitiful me ;)

Anyhow, thanks for trying. I'll keep following up here, somebody out there must make them. I'm also looking for a service that will dip the tongs for me, or sell me the goop to do it myself, if all else fails.

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
I'm confused.

there are dozens of hinged types with silicone on the grabbing end.
almost to exclusion they have spring at the hinge - 2-3 minutes and a pair of wire nippers would solve that problem, permanently....no more springy-wingy-thingy...