Hearty Beef stew – A La Andy

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter

Well it started out trying to be a pot roast. It went awry with really good results.

Ingredients

3 or 4 Shallots – Chopped
1 Medium size Yellow Onion – Chopped
5 Cloves Garlic – Chopped
5 medium red Potatoes – 1 “ cubes
5 Good sized Carrots – Sliced about ½ inch.
1 Cup water
2 Tbsp Beef Bullion powder
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste.
½ to ¾ cup red wine (I uses Shiraz)
3# Beef pot roast
32 Oz can crushed Tomatoes

Method

Put the onions, garlic, salt and pepper with a little olive oil and saute till translucent.

Put that mixture in a crock pot. Leave some of the oil in the bottom of the frying pan.

Get the pan pretty hot and sear the pot roast on both sides and put it in the crock pot.

Add the water, bullion and wine. Also a 20 oz can of crushed tomatoes.

Spread the carrots and potatoes over the meat.

Cover and turn on high for 8 hours.

Enjoy

FryBoy

How did a 3-pound pot roast turn into stew? Did you cut it up after it was cooked, or did it simply fall apart after 8 hours in the crock pot on high?

Cooksie

Site Supporter

Well it started out trying to be a pot roast. It went awry with really good results.

Ingredients

3 or 4 Shallots – Chopped
1 Medium size Yellow Onion – Chopped
5 Cloves Garlic – Chopped
5 medium red Potatoes – 1 “ cubes
5 Good sized Carrots – Sliced about ½ inch.
1 Cup water
2 Tbsp Beef Bullion powder
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste.
½ to ¾ cup red wine (I uses Shiraz)
3# Beef pot roast
32 Oz can crushed tomatoes

Method

Put the onions, garlic, salt and pepper with a little olive oil and saute till translucent.

Put that mixture in a crock pot. Leave some of the oil in the bottom of the frying pan.

Get the pan pretty hot and sear the pot roast on both sides and put it in the crock pot.

Add the water, bullion and wine. Also a 20 oz can of crushed tomatoes.

Spread the carrots and potatoes over the meat.

Cover and turn on high for 8 hours.

Enjoy

Sounds great! I've had that happen with roast in the crock pot. I'd rather have it a little too tender than too tough :).

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
didn't cut it up Doug. I may be wrong (often am) for apot roast I would useless liquid.

As I was not home - DW added a 32 oz can of crushed tomatoes. Ended up looking more stew like.

I was out all day and got home late. Smelled and tasted good though,

FryBoy

I see. I think of "stew" as having meat cut up in pieces, and a pot roast as being one large chunk like you started with.

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
It still sounds wonderful, Andy. I've never thought to put tomatoes in my pot roast but I think I'll try it next time!

Adillo303

Gold Site Supporter
Thank You All - Doug - the tomatoes are what (*at least in my mind) converted it from a pot roast to stew. I did cut the meat when I served it. Alos the amount of liquid. 32 Oz of crished tomotoes changed it over. Too much liquid (im my mond to call ti a pot roast.

I was out all day and set it off in the AM before I left. The tomatoes dod no thappen on my shift. LOL

Andy

It wasm however, great