Goat Cheese Substitute

What about a cheese with a similar texture, like garlic/herb "Boursin" or "Alouette"? "Boursin" in particular comes in a little 5-ounce container (since I just bought some to use in my potato gratin for tomorrow), which would work well in your recipe.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
I would probably just sub a cheese that I prefer. You probably want one that is a bit sharp (that's what I associate with goats cheese), a mature cheddar or maybe a mild blue cheese. You do not want to overwhelm the salmon & dill which are fairly mild.

Respectfully, Miniman, I still think a creamy soft cheese would be better. Fresh goat cheeses aren't at all sharp - only the aged types, & since the recipe doesn't call for grating or shredding the goat cheese - just crumbling it - I believe they're calling for a soft, fresh cheese. I really can't envision a sharp cheddar or blue pairing well with smoked salmon & dill.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
It may be that goats cheese is done differently over there. The soft cheese would work as well, though I would use a plain one rather than garlic & herb which I, personally feel would not work as well. Perhaps even just a plain cream cheese. Actually, thinking about it, some of the French cheeses may work.

Okay - I agree that the "Garlic & Herb" flavor might interfere with the dill. Boursain & Alouette both come in "Black Pepper" versions that might be nice though. The fresh goat cheeses here are just mildly tangy - like a goaty sour-cream tang. No sharpness. The aged types, like Goat Gouda, etc., are definitely a bit sharper.

Miniman

Mini man - maxi food
Gold Site Supporter
Feta could work, it has the crumbliness and is fairly creamy, depending on the variety. I'm not a great fan of feta personally.

I agree. LOVE feta. It's a natural pair with the dill & salmon, and since the recipe doesn't call for any additional salt, you're in the clear in that department. Just make sure you buy a good brand & not the supermarket brand, which can be salty. Either buy a brine-stored block from the deli department or salad bar (if your market offers that), or buy a name brand like Athenos, etc., etc. The cheaper types have much more salt & aren't as creamy in texture.

I've tried Athenos(?) sun-dried tomato & basil. That might work. May turn it into an appetizer/finger food, & play around with it - baking it in a rectangular dish, slice & serve. Thanks for the input.

Just remember that dill is an assertive flavor. Since it's most often used in Greek cuisine, while it pairs well with oregano in some dishes, it can clash with other herbs.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
Ricotta might also work well. Now I'm personally not a fan of sea food and cheese combined regardless. I do like dill and salmon combo dishes.

Naw - I definitely wouldn't recommend Ricotta. Too soft, too liquidy, & too flavorless. Nothing that compares to the original recipe's recommendation.

joec

Gold Site Supporter
My question really is, can you get the goat cheese and if so is there a reason not to use it, personal taste etc?

bigjim

Mess Cook
Super Site Supporter
Ricotta might also work well. Now I'm personally not a fan of sea food and cheese combined regardless. I do like dill and salmon combo dishes.
The creator of the recipe was asked that question (Feta as a substitute) in the remarks and suggested Ricotta.