Name this tree

chowhound

Can some of you garden folks identify this tree? I'd like to transplant it up front somewhere, but not if it's going to turn nasty on me, like a crabapple tree or similar.

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 196
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 198
  • tree3.jpg
    tree3.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 189

chowhound

Does it actually produce fruit? In how many years if it does? I ripped three pear trees out of my front yard because of all those rotting pears attracting bees. I wonder if the trees and fruit I hauled out back are repopulating themselves....

homecook

No, it doesn't bear fruit at all. The flowers drop off and it's just a green leafed tree. lol They get real full and they're very pretty. We planted ours about 14 years ago and it's about 35 ft. now. It was just a sapling when we planted it.

chowhound

I Googled Bradford Pear and didn't read anything positive about them, shallow roots, split when they get 20 years old (soft wood), lots of shoots off the roots that mess up your lawn mower.... I wonder how I got these things growing out back. I have three or four of them. I was hoping it was a cherry tree.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
These trees seem to be frail at times, I see them fallen over everywhere down here. Plus they are messy trees when the blooms and what not start to fall off. They also have an odor to them that is not pleaseant to some. I almost got one for me front yard, but was advised against it .

Galvatron

Sure is a pear...type cant say but we get a good crop from ours each year.

will have to check the type(keiffer i think) we have but it dont grow at a rate that it's a pain to maintain and the crops are good 1 year bad the next....but in bloom they are pretty.

RobsanX

Potato peeler
Super Site Supporter
I Googled Bradford Pear and didn't read anything positive about them, shallow roots, split when they get 20 years old (soft wood), lots of shoots off the roots that mess up your lawn mower.... I wonder how I got these things growing out back. I have three or four of them. I was hoping it was a cherry tree.

They used to be very popular for planting because of the flowers. It was the trendy tree to plant for a long time, but then people started realizing that they don't last very long...

homecook

We've never had a problem with ours. The roots are all buried and they're not coming up in the grass at all and it's been there for 14 years. The only mess is when the flowers drop, but you'll have that problem with any flowering tree. I've never noticed an odor with mine and it's right outside our screened in porch, not to say some do. lol
Ours did get broken on one side from an ice storm 10 years ago but it's still going strong, just lopsided now.

It's possible it's something else altogether!

chowhound

Probably, Cheese, I was just leaning to it being of the variety I cut down and hauled out back. At any rate, I don't think I want any kind of pear tree in the front yard again, but a tree this size would cost me a hundred bucks at a nursery... Tough call.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We have a similar variety in the corner of our yard, called a Cleveland Pear. I'm sure it's just a hybrid form of the Bradford variety. It gives beautiful blooms in the Spring and is nicely shaped, but no fruit or berries to mess up the landscape. If you are diligent, you can maintain this tree as a dwarf variety, but you must prune it every year to do so.

P1010670.jpg

P1010685.jpg

Here it is in the right corner of the yard near the house...

P1010668.jpg

chowhound

Hmmm, so if I keep it pruned it will stay this size? That might not be a bad idea then.
Nothing to lose. I'm going to go for it and try to keep it relatively small.

I like your landscaped areas, Joe. I'm trying to do something similar in a couple areas, one I've started and one is where this tree is going, but have no clue what I'm doing. I am landscape challenged :^/

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Hmmm, so if I keep it pruned it will stay this size? That might not be a bad idea then.
Nothing to lose. I'm going to go for it and try to keep it relatively small.

I like your landscaped areas, Joe. I'm trying to do something similar in a couple areas, one I've started and one is where this tree is going, but have no clue what I'm doing. I am landscape challenged :^/

I'm no genius at landscaping, but I will tell you to keep anything that could get big or tall, a decent distance from the house. I have had to remove two trees after 15 years because they got too big and were starting to touch the house (both pines). Also, be wary of plantings that require lots of water. In drought years their roots will head right for the drainage lines around your house to get their moisture. Then you get to use your new toy to dig it all up and replace the the tile. The ho is fun now, but think how old you'll be in 10 years and decide if you want to be doing that kind of work then.

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
We have a similar variety in the corner of our yard, called a Cleveland Pear. I'm sure it's just a hybrid form of the Bradford variety. It gives beautiful blooms in the Spring and is nicely shaped, but no fruit or berries to mess up the landscape. If you are diligent, you can maintain this tree as a dwarf variety, but you must prune it every year to do so.

P1010670.jpg

P1010685.jpg

Here it is in the right corner of the yard near the house...

P1010668.jpg

What a beautiful house and yard! :flowers:

Mr. Green Jeans

Bradford, Cleveland Select, Chanticleer, Redspire, Aristocrat are all selections of an Asian species of pear and they do bear small fruit that persist into the winter and are usually consumed by birds after freeze/thaw cycles soften up and ferment the fruit. Bradford was the first introduced and yes, it does have structural flaws that make it vulnerable to wind or storm damage.