Constance's News on Katie E.

Calicolady

Katie's cell phone finally worked this evening, and she gave me a call. She is all right, physically, but has had a terrible, frightening experience, especially Tuesday night when the limbs started falling. Her house is (was) surrounded by huge trees over a hundred years old, and with two inches of ice on them, they started snapping and breaking. We're talking limbs 10-20" in diameter. She said as they broke, she would hear a pop, and then they would hit the ground with a boom, shaking the whole house. Limbs went through a couple of windows in her house and one of her car windows. She says the trees now look like matchsticks.

The good news is, Katie has gas radiant heat under her kitchen floor and a gas range, so she had some heat and has been able to cook. (black bean soup last night) She pulled her recliner in the kitchen, grabbed a couple of down comforters from the bedroom, and blocked of the kitchen door so it would stay warmer. Naturally, her 6 indoor fur babies pile up on top of her when she settles down for a nap. She's also has water and sewer, which some people have lost. (It's such a blessing to be able to flush the toilet!)
After Ike blew through last summer, she and Buck had stocked up on batteries, flash lights, and I guess a radio, since she's heard some news, so that's good.

She also said the National Guard came down her street in a Humvee, going door to door, and they did check on her. The Red Cross and Salvation Army are also there to help.

So Katie is OK...and she isn't. It was terrible for her to have to go through this very traumatic experience alone.
Tomorrow, she's going to try to get into Paducah for supplies, and she's going to take her laptop and see if she can find a place where she can get a wireless connection. If she does, she will post.

In the meantime, when I told her how worried y'all have been about her, she said thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers.

Sounds to me like she's going to need some more.

Calicolady

Thank you so much for reporting next door.
I can't PM or reach her anymore, but my heart and prayers were with her.

Last edited:

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
I will keep Katie E in my prayers. It is hard to deal with so many things going wrong all at the same time all by oneself. I have been doing that for the last 4-1/2 years.

Deelady

Latest from Katie!!!

"

Hi all,

Made my way to Paducah today. Everything's such a mess, I cried all the way. It looks like a war zone as far as the eye can see. Complete devastation. Not a tree has been untouched.

Power is still out for many and probably won't be restored for 2 to 5 weeks. One small jurisdiction lost 1,500 power poles. In our little town, power poles are stacked in piles like so many toothpicks.

The National Guard was deployed and FEMA arrived on Monday. We also have the Salvation Army and Red Cross in town. 95 of Kentucky's 120 counties have been declared disaster areas. Our western area was the hardest hit.

I'm drained physically and emotionally and have no clue when things will get back to any semblance of normal. We finally had mail service yesterday. The children won't be going back to school for at least another week. No power to the schools yet.

I still have no phone or Internet at home and my cell only works intermittently, plus I have to save my minutes. My phone line is in a heap in the middle of the driveway.

Sunny but cold, cold, cold here today. They tell us it's going to be near 60F on Saturday/Sunday...but with possible rain.

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and prayers. Please keep them coming as I have much, much more ahead to deal with. Don't know when I'll be back.

I'm tired.
__________________"

buckytom

Grill Master
thanks cali and dee.

i didn't know about katie, but i'm hapy to hear she's ok. (did you know that we're distant relatives? her dad has the same surname as me).

one less thing to check when i cross back over someday. :hide2:

Fisher's Mom

Mother Superior
Super Site Supporter
I just love Katie and I hate to think about her going through all this. I cringe when I think about all the clean-up she's looking at when things get back to normal. Hurricane Ike was bad enough at my mom's in Houston but at least it was warm.

PieSusan

Tortes Are Us
Super Site Supporter
Yes, when my pipes burst, not only did I not have water but there was some water damage. It is hard to juggle so many stressful events at the same time and maintain one's strength. Sometimes it helps to just cry and let it out and begin the day anew tomorrow.

I hope that Katie is safe, and does not get sick after living under those conditions and I hope that she finds trustworthy workmen to help fix the house so that she doesn't have problems later on down the road. Dealing with the insurance folks is not always fun. She definitely has a lot on her plate and this is the toughest time of year to have to deal with it.

Best to her from me if there are those still in touch with her.
Pie Susan

Calicolady

Dee, thank you so much for the update.
I hope you sent her my good wishes. Although that doesn't help her much, does it.
Please keep us further posted if you will or can.