The "Breakfast" thread

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
YUMMY SS again!!

Hub and I had chili dogs for breakfast. He works nights (my mom also worked nights) so I don't relegate certain foods to certain times of day.
That chili tastes better today.

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
i'm toasting a slice of bread, slathering on butter; then vegemite on that & also poaching an egg or making a dippy egg~ man, i would luv bacon w/ my brekkie!

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Breakfast was my version of McDonald’s new breakfast oatmeal.
Maypo with chopped red & green apples, raisins, craisins, drizzle of sugar free maple syrup and a splash of 1/2 & 1/2.

011511_maypo_apples.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
It's a pretty common breakfast, especially in the southern U.S. A biscuit is similar to a savory scone and the gravy is made from bulk breakfast sausage, flour and milk flavored with salt and pepper.

Here's my recipe and along with a pic:

Biscuits:
2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup All-Vegetable Shortening, butter or lard
1 cup buttermilk, or you can use whole milk
Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, cut the shortening into the Self-Rising Flour with a pastry blender or fork or your fingertips until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Blend in buttermilk with fork just until the dough comes together. The dough will be sticky.
Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently by folding the dough 8 to 10 times.

Press into a circle that's 1 inch thick.
Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch cutter, being sure to push straight down through the dough. Do not twist the cutter until the dough has been cut all the way through (twisting the cutter will cause the biscuits not to rise straight up.
Place the biscuits on baking sheet so that they barely touch. Gather up the scrap dough, press it into a circle, working it as little as possible and continue cutting until all dough has been used.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.

Gravy:
1 pound fresh sausage
3 tablespoons shortening, or bacon drippings
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a large heavy skillet (preferably cast iron), brown the sausage breaking it up with a spatula over medium high heat. Do not drain. Add the shortening, flour, salt and pepper. Cook stirring constantly until flour begins to brown. Slowly add milk while continuing to stir.Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for one minute stirring occasionally. As the gravy cools it will thicken so if you want thinner gravy, add a little more milk.

Some people add hot sauce, bacon drippings and other flavorings to their gravy...whatever is to your liking.

Attachments

• biscuits-and-gravy.jpg
    biscuits-and-gravy.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 316

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I used to be addicted to Grandy's biscuits with sausage gravy. Yours look a lot like theirs :brows: but better.

Leni

I love biscuits and gravy. I make mine the same way the rest of you do but if you order it in a restraunt here you get biscuits with a beef gravy. There is no sausage in it at all. To me that's tasteless.

SilverSage

Resident Crone
I had to use the last of the oranges off my tree, so I made orange muffins with orange honey butter for breakfast yesterday.

Attachments

• orange muffins 001.jpg
    orange muffins 001.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 387
  • orange muffins 003.jpg
    orange muffins 003.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 593

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
This was dinner a couple days ago.
Corn and bacon waffles, fried potatoes, mushrooms and onions, over easy eggs.

012011_eggs_potatoes_waffles.jpg

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Scrambled eggs and sliced tomatoes (seasoned with EVOO, ground peppercorns, ground roasted garlic salt, ground oregano and fresh basil.

012811_scrambled_tomatoes_2.jpg

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Who knew losing weight could taste so good! :w00t2:

Attachments

• ww-stuffed-french-toast.jpg
    ww-stuffed-french-toast.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thank you sass and Mama!!

I am loving these vine tomatoes! They are just fantastic for the winter. Juicy and ripe, not mealy at all.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps! It's mixed berry french toast stuffed with cream cheese and coated with Special K cereal to give the outside a nice crunch.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Thanks Peeps! It's mixed berry french toast stuffed with cream cheese and coated with Special K cereal to give the outside a nice crunch.
Ok I guess I am stupid but how do you stuff a french toast? I always just make regular.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
You use 2 slices of bread and make a sandwich with cream cheese mixed with a few berries or you could use jelly or you could just use flavored cream cheese. Coat the whole sandwich in the egg mixture and cook on the griddle like a grilled cheese. I took it a step further and coated the whole thing in crushed cereal to give it a crispy outside.

lilbopeep

Site Supporter
Both look amazing, particularly impressed with Peep's quality of tomatoes.
Thank you abi. These vine tomatoes the past week have been fantastic! Red, ripe, juicy and full of flavor during the off season! I won't eat a mealy tomato! I'd rather have none even on a salad rather than a tasteless mealy tomato.

Mama

Queen of Cornbread
Site Supporter
This morning I made a cheesy grits and sausage casserole

Attachments

• cheesy-grits-casserole.jpg
    cheesy-grits-casserole.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 325