60's Macaroni Salad

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
This was the way we made macaroni salad when I was a kid ... before all the "pasta salads" with everything but the kitchen sink tossed in.

Always elbow macs, Good Seasons Italian salad dressing, a little chopped onion, and a load of chopped chives and parsley.

Had some yesterday and it brought back great memories!

Lee

Attachments

• IMG_60's mac salad.JPG
    IMG_60's mac salad.JPG
    129.9 KB · Views: 338

rickismom

Low Carb Home Cook
Site Supporter
Yummmmm that looks good! Being from the NW, my mother always added tiny cooked shrimp and diced cheese, pickles, green onion with thousand island dressing to her macaroni salad which was the only recipe I ever knew. I need to try something different!
:biggrin:

joec

Gold Site Supporter
I still use that as a base but then add the kitchen sink to it. :wink:

Ian M.

When we were growing up, our Mum used to make her macaroni salad with a somewhat loathsome dressing base made of Miracle Whip Salad Dressing, some onion, some chopped cheese and usually some ham chunks or even on occasion some diced bologna - Then she'd get fancy and add something for "color" such as finely chopped green or red bell pepper, some pimentos or even once in awhile some fresh new peas. I've never been able to recreate what all she did but I do remember that we kids ate great pans of it every time she made it! Good stuff.

Ian

joec

Gold Site Supporter
When we were growing up, our Mum used to make her macaroni salad with a somewhat loathsome dressing base made of Miracle Whip Salad Dressing, some onion, some chopped cheese and usually some ham chunks or even on occasion some diced bologna - Then she'd get fancy and add something for "color" such as finely chopped green or red bell pepper, some pimentos or even once in awhile some fresh new peas. I've never been able to recreate what all she did but I do remember that we kids ate great pans of it every time she made it! Good stuff.

Ian

I still prefer Miracle Whip Salad Dressing to Mayonnaise which is has always left me with an after taste unlike the Miracle Whip.

Johnny West

Ian

My mom did the same.

I like mayo and MW; makes no difference to me.