Aunt Patti's Freezer Pickles

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
We have been making these for many years, and they are a tasty treat, especially in the Winter. We got the recipe from my sister-in-law, Patti Valencic. We have expanded it by adding cauliflower florets, zucchini, and banana peppers. Basically, any pepper should work, but we like sweet peppers. Enjoy!

Aunt Patti's Freezer Pickles
2 c. sugar
1 c. cider vinegar
3 to 3 1/2 qts. Unpeeled, thinly sliced cucumbers
1 med. onion, peeled, diced or slivered
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tbsp. non-iodized salt
1 sweet red pimento or sweet red pepper, diced or slivered
1 green pepper, diced or slivered

Pour sugar and vinegar into a small saucepan and stir over high heat until mixture boils and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat immediately to a cool burner or cooling rack, and cool liquid until you can keep your pinky finger in the liquid (about 45 minutes). Thinly slice cukes, onion and peppers and combine in a large glass bowl. Add celery seed and salt and mix well. When cooled, pour liquid over and mix again. Let stand for 30 minutes and mix again. Place in freezer containers, dividing juice evenly. Freeze quickly. Makes about 4 1/2 pints.

P1010988.jpg

buckytom

Grill Master
wouldn't your pinky finger get pickled first if you left it in for 45 minutes, joe?

lol, j/k. i'm definitely going to try this. thanks, man.

Cooksie

Site Supporter
I love all things pickled, and this looks really good! Thanks for the recipe. :thumb:

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
Hey Joe...

can you explain the freezer end... I assume you that them to eat... do you have to freeze them?
We have one batch that will stay in the fridge and be ready to eat after a couple of days of soaking in the juice. Those will be for immediate consumption, and the rest stay in the freezer for another day. These are quick & easy, and you don't have to go through the traditional canning process.