- crisp dill pickles, whole (i get mine either from the pickle bar, or nathan's
halves)
-bacon
-onion, diced
-grainy mustard
-flour seasoned w/ pepper
-red wine

--spaetzle
fry bacon till crispy; meanwhile, slice pickles into quarters. thinly slice flank wide enough to accomodate the pickles & par-cook onion in bacon drippings. slather beef generously w/ mustard. then place 1 pickle (may hafta trim the edges). & 1 slice bacon on each slice of beef. place onion onto them. wrap beef over pickle & push ends of meat into itself. tie w/ butcher's twine, dredge, then sear in drippings. braise in oven for an hour or so in the wine. may make a sauce w/ the wine & some beef stock & serve w/ speatzle.

typ herrlich!

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
I love the sound of this, luvs!!

The Frugal Gourmet had a recipe that used pickles in a pot roast, and this sounds similar.

But with bacon, everything is better!

Sounds great!

Lee

lilbopeep

🌹🐰 Still trying to get it right.
Site Supporter
So you slice the flank steak into wide slices on the bias then stuff, roll and fry the rolls? Sort of like a braciole?

luvs

'lil Chef
Gold Site Supporter
u cut it on a very wide angle, yep. there's other roasts u can use, i like flank, tho

K

Kimchee

I just use thin sliced beef, and instead of mustard I use lemon pepper and Worchestershire sauce.
After I sear them, I cook them in Cream of Mushroom soup, which becomes
a wonderful gravy for mashed taters.

This was my Dad's signature recipe! (He always had a Poor Man's Steak afterwards...
slice of bread covered with the gravy.)

Leni

My German born father used to make this. You can get meat cut specifically for this dish at a German market.

2 flank steaks 1 1/2 lbs each
4 slices uncooked bacon
6 tbs chopped onion
2 tbs chopped parsley
chopped pickle
garlic powder
seasoned salt
pepper
2tbs oil (Germans would use bacon drippings
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup beef bouillon

Use a rolling pin to flaten out the meat. Top each steak with half of the ingredients. Sprinkle with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Roll the meat up and securely tie with kitchen twine about every 1 1/2". Heat the oil in a Dutch oven and add the meat, browning it well. Add the liquid and simmer until the meat is fork tender, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Thicken the broth with a little flour. Serve with potato dumplings and red cabbage.

Man, it's been a long time since I made this. Now I'm going to have to get over to my local German market. I also have a hankering for sauerbraten. It's too hot for these dishes!

Last edited:

ChowderMan

Pizza Chef
Super Site Supporter
ahso! thanks for the bump -

it's a simple dish, but I've never 'got it right' for whatever reason.
I like the roll&tie then cut after cooking - that may solve some of the 'it all fell apart and can't get up' issue....

Johnny West

We make it a lot in winter. The commissary slices beef thin for that and carnitas. We've been using the carnitas meat from WinCo. Now she's tried different flavors of mustard and it was great. I use yellow mustard, the way I was taught by a German gal.