BIG Jims Sausage Cacciatore

Embryodad

Big Jims …..Sausage Cacciatore :chef:
* Makes 4 Hearty Servings. (Prep + Cooking = 2 hours +?)
N O T ES !
For a cooking utensil I use a 12” inch electric skillet to control temperature. After browning sausage, I set control to cycle on / off just at the boiling point of the liquid for the remainder of the cooking process. It is much easier, and prevents burning, and steady watching as it cooks.
I have cooked this in a slow cooker after browning the sausages, but I prefer the cooking stages and adding ingredients also in stages for consistancy.

1 ½ Lbs. Italian Sausage links or cut into 4 Inch pieces
2 Bell peppers cut into wedges ( Green / Red / Yellow = your preference)
3 or 4 carrots chopped 1”
3 stalks of celery chopped 1”
1 medium onion cut into wedges pole to pole.
3 Cloves garlic sliced thinly
3Tbs cooking oil
1 - 28oz. Can crushed Tomatoes
2- potatoes peeled and cut into medium size wedges
3- Cups Water ( To cook and steam, and removed to reserve for later use )
Salt & Pepper to taste
#1 In a skillet, fry and brown sausage links / pieces in the cooking oil, untill outside is nice and browned
#2 When cooled to handle, cut into smaller pieces ( 1”inch pieces approx )
#3 Add water and onions; cover, and let steam for ½ hour till onions soften on a slow boil
#4 Add celery; Carrots and cook till carrots just start to soften. Approx. 20 minutes
#5 Remove remaining water to reserve and set aside for later use
#6 Add the Tomatoes and peppers; Salt and pepper and sliced garlic ; stir carefully, cover, and on low heat cook for 30 minutes…
#7 Taste for saltiness, and add salt as needed to taste; then Add potato Wedges and some of the water that was reserved to thin out the tomatoes as much as is needed. Try and push the potatoes into the sauce so they are covered… Again, cover and let cook until potatoes slide off a fork when pierced. Approx. 40 minutes.
Enjoy!:readytoeat:

QSis

Grill Master
Staff member
Gold Site Supporter
Ooooo! I LOVE sausage cacciatore, Embryodad, and haven't made it in ages!

Thanks for the reminder!

Lee

Embryodad

Ooooo! I LOVE sausage cacciatore, Embryodad, and haven't made it in ages!

Thanks for the reminder!

Lee

Welcome Lee.

Yeah...It's amazing how sometimes great foods we had are forgotten.
Sometimes Tina and I will get in that,"What could We Have Different to Eat?" ..... and we will sit and make a list.
Then... I wait until she is almost snoozing, and I'll just say, like...
Oooo...Chipped beef on toast! ... She will say,"Stop Already, I was almost sleeping!" ...then I wait a while, and then say... "How About Your Moms Recipe for potato pancakes?" ... hahahaha:whistle:

Finally she jumps out of bed, and comes back with a snack of something.:glare:
LOL ..... So Funny! .. She don't think so though!! hahahahahaha:twak:

thegrindre

If you left the potatoes out and cut the liquid down some, it sounds good enough to plate over a bed of rice. Hmmm...
Oh, I love potatoes, I was just thinking of another way to serve it, is all.

:)

Embryodad

If you left the potatoes out and cut the liquid down some, it sounds good enough to plate over a bed of rice. Hmmm...
Oh, I love potatoes, I was just thinking of another way to serve it, is all.

Rick, My wife HAS TO HAVE Potatoes with just about everything she eats.
I eat them, but maybe just a taste. Mashed is OK with Butter Ooozing out like a butter volcano. :blush:LOL

In the recipe step (#5), I remove the water from the steaming process, and set it aside to be added later as needed to thin out the tomato sauce.
Usually, the addition of the potatoes will add starch, and then also absorb some of the liquid. Once I added the potatoes....ssssssuuuup, they sucked up the liquid like a sponge. Oh! Those potatoes were good my wife said, and they even turned red after absorbing the juices. LOL
The recipe can also be used for Chicken.

thegrindre

Mmmmmmm, I like my mashed potatoes like that, too.
I like a baked potato with a about 1/4 stick of butter or so mushed down inside of it, also.

Leni

Mmmmmmm, I like my mashed potatoes like that, too.
I like a baked potato with a about 1/4 stick of butter or so mushed down inside of it, also.

And if you're Irish heritage like me you take a forkful of mashed potatoes from the outside and dip it into the well of melted butter. Yum!