Garlic poking through the snow

Had a few days of ' spring like " weather here on long island. Just enough snow melted to see my garlic plants poking through the snow. Im happy because usually they get a head start in the fall, and I can see how many duds I planted. But this year there was no early growth at all. So finally, i was able to see that just about all the plants took.

Anyone else growing garlic ??

larry

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Yep... I'm growing, thanks to Beth!!! I planted mine in November and got some nice plants going. Mine are about a foot or so tall.

suziquzie

I wanted to but got so busy this fall I screwed up and forgot about it.
Is this your first time growing it Larry?

Sattie all you need to do is figure out how to grow pine nuts..... ok and squeeze oil from an olive....
my basil queen friend will have 100% home grown pesto!!!

leolady

I like to find wild garlic and transplant it to a permanent garden spot. I let it spread and spread so I have enough to pick every year and do not have to re-plant.

I love the taste of wild garlic soooooooooo much better than cultivated garlic.

Maverick2272

Stewed Monkey
Super Site Supporter
Not yet, but it is in the plans for the garden this year. And I am pretty sure it will be wild garlic if DW has her way.
You have to plant it in the fall, right? I forget..

Is this your first time growing it Larry ?

Not my first time. I do it every year, but Im too cheap to get varieties that do well in my area. I just go to the market and get whats there, then plant them. That is the reason why my garlic crop is hit or miss. I think most of the garlic from the stores is from california, and sometimes dont like our winters here. Some winters are not so bad, others are. The other possibility is that maybe I just dont know what Im doing :yum: But my ego is too big to admit that :shock:

PanchoHambre

Ditto

Last year I tried too much and ended up with alot of garden disasters... trying to keep it lighter and manageable this year.

The warm weather is starting to get me excited....

Larry isn't it a great feeling to see that hint of spring! Gives hope and promise that the winter will indeed end.

Yeah, i dont mind the winter at all, but after sampling a few spring like days, it starts to feel like, enough is enough. Tomorrow they say will be mid 50's so ill try to get a head start on my spring cleaning, leaves, pruning, garden....

leolady

Not yet, but it is in the plans for the garden this year. And I am pretty sure it will be wild garlic if DW has her way.
You have to plant it in the fall, right? I forget..

Always obey your better half Mav! She's right and I really like her!

I usually spot wild garlic from the car as I drive by due to seeing the bulbs on top. That means it is usually June. That's when I dig it up.

When I get home I wet the ground where I want to plant it. Then I use a tool like a beat up old heavy screw driver and make a hole, stick the garlic plant in the hole, press the soil down, then water. Voila! Planting is done. I water once a week or so as needed, although some plants look like they are not going to make it, they usually do.

Next year I let the seeds come, break them open, and scatter them on the top of the ground where I want more. Throw a little dirt on top and water. Wild garlic is acclimatized to the region they are already growing in and is extremely hardy and prolific.

Every year after the 2nd year, I just thin out the plants as needed during the growing season to either use right away or freeze for winter. I like to plant garlic around my roses cause roses do LOVE garlic.

sattie

Resident Rocker Lady
Is this your first time growing it Larry?

Sattie all you need to do is figure out how to grow pine nuts..... ok and squeeze oil from an olive....
my basil queen friend will have 100% home grown pesto!!!

I do love me some pine nuts.... I will let you know if I get that figured out!!! Ohhhh... home grown pesto would be the best!!!! I hope my garlic turns out, I just can't believe it was that easy!

buckytom

Grill Master
i can't stop growing wild garlic. it reseeds itself in a few spots without any care. i guess i should thin it out so the bulbs are a little larger. the bulbs i get are very small, closer to wild onions.

leolady

i can't stop growing wild garlic. it reseeds itself in a few spots without any care. i guess i should thin it out so the bulbs are a little larger. the bulbs i get are very small, closer to wild onions.

:agree:But don't the small bulbs add a wonderful flavor>

buckytom

Grill Master
the first time that i tried it, i ate a bit of it raw.
i was expecting more of a softer texture and hot, garlic-like taste. it was more like a small, sharply flavored shallot. i didn't like it at the time, but now that i cook more, i'd be willing to give them a shot in some dish.

leolady

There are many, many varieties of wild garlic. I am sure yours is different from mine, but all of them are good.

AllenOK

It may not be garlic, but's it's close. I noticed yesterday that my planter of chives had a few green sprouts in it.

JoeV

Dough Boy
Site Supporter
My chives are about 10" tall now, so it's time to start pruning and drying. I never got around to planting garlic last fall, so I planted 15 cloves a couple days ago from a bulb that was starting to sprout in the pantry. We'll see if I get any decent heads from my procrastination. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Anyone else plant garlic in the spring?

leolady

I plant garlic anytime of year I can. The wild garlic I plant usually does well whenever I plant it.